New Bar Suggestions

sfw509

Reaction score
Thinking about adding a football/swiss/multi grip bar (every company calls it something different) to the home gym. Anyone out there recommend one they own or have used?

If you have a recommendation for a trap bar I'd be interested in hearing that too?

Thanks

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
I’ve got the Rogue MG-3 multigrip bar. I use it occasionally but it is one of my least used bars in the gym. I do like it for tricep work though and should probably use it more often for that reason alone. I bought the rogue over the other bars because it is the only one I could find with knurling on the handles.

Have you considered an axle type bar instead for pressing variety?

never used a trap bar so I can’t comment on those. I will say that the Dead Sled that Mike Bartos sells is a combination trap bar/farmers walk/ sled contraption that is pretty cool. It’s expensive but so is a good quality trap bar.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I know this is slightly off topic.

my wish list of bars is

Earthquake
SSB

that is all.

BrotherIron

Reaction score

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
Thinking about adding a football/swiss/multi grip bar (every company calls it something different) to the home gym. Anyone out there recommend one they own or have used?

If you have a recommendation for a trap bar I'd be interested in hearing that too?

Thanks

TLDR: I like to tell people what I wish I knew to pay attention to when choosing a product. mistakes I made. swiss bar in addition to angled grips I would have liked one set of straight grips. trap bar does not have both raised handle of a high hex bar and the flush handle of a regular hex bar when turned over and my sleeves are to short.

I have this swiss bar. $230. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VX9NQZJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I chose it solely on price and prime free delivery. I wish it had at least one set of straight handles they are all angled.

I have this trap bar. https://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Barbell-Olympic-High-Hex-Bar-56/20934634
Chose it on price $90. Some have high handles on one side and when turned over lower handles. This one does not, high handles only. Also sleeves are to short, can only hold 6 plates. $150 model and I could have had extra low handles and longer sleeves.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
I have both of Titan's Football bars and they get used every week. One is communal so it's getting a ton of use and I know a few who have benched over 450 with it and with mine I've had 275+ on it with no issues whatsoever.

I have one of Titan's "football" bars and their SSB, and am happy with both ... only way I am able to keep benching and squatting with my crappy shoulders. Cheaper than rival brands, which may seem like a plus for some ppl OR a minus for the suspicious, but my experience AND BI's broader experience says they're worth a look.

There are various self-professed consumer experts on YouTube who review/compare "football" bars, SSBs, Racks, ALL kindsa strength stuff you might wanna check out.

My experience with Titan may or may not hold true for the rival sites: if you order something designated as "back order" rather than "in stock," they provide an estimated shipping date. Titan's estimates vary in accuracy and can be maddening sometimes, pretty accurate other times. I don't know about all the rival companies.

Adding that some/most? of the strength equipment online sites accord space for customer reviews for each product on the site. I'm cynical enough to question the truthfulness in reviews hosted by the company trying to sell us their products, but ... some (usually a minority) of the reviews are pretty stinky and worth thinking about.

Last edited:

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have one of Titan's "football" bars and their SSB, and am happy with both ... only way I am able to keep benching and squatting with my crappy shoulders. Cheaper than rival brands, which may seem like a plus for some ppl OR a minus for the suspicious, but my experience AND BI's broader experience says they're worth a look.

There are various self-professed consumer experts on YouTube who review/compare "football" bars, SSBs, Racks, ALL kindsa strength stuff you might wanna check out.

My experience with Titan may or may not hold true for the rival sites: if you order something designated as "back order" rather than "in stock," they provide an estimated shipping date. Titan's estimates vary in accuracy and can be maddening sometimes, pretty accurate other times. I don't know about all the rival companies.

Ordering from Titan is a lot like ordering stuff from China. Order it and forget about it. It'll be a nice surprise when it comes. I got the yoke, a bunch of plates, cambered multi bar, and a few other bits and bobs. Sometimes, shipping is super fast, sometimes it's 2 months. It's service I can accept for the prices.

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
I've got their lat pull/low row because its just too nice of a deal to pass up. I've seen some of their other equipment and have not been impressed.

sfw509

Reaction score
Big thanks to everyone. Lots of great suggestions to look into.

I've definitely got some homework to do. I had honestly never heard of Kabuki or Titan strength. They look like they have some nice stuff. I want to get something good quality that will last. Like my one friend says, but nice, or buy twice.

Reactions: Jin

flenser

Elite
Reaction score
I have Vulcan's Swiss Bar. I use it for some shoulder rehab, mostly inclined press unloaded, but it usually sits in the corner unused. The whole "football" bar thing about football players using it after shoulder injuries might be true, but they must have different injuries than me. Bench press or OHP with any weight at all is impossible for me even before I was injured.

Before COVID and home gyms, I used to leave it at my regular gym for anyone to use. It was always out, never put away, so someone was using the hell out of it. It just wasn't me.

Reactions: Jin

New Threads