New Member Intro

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading and following threads here for several months, figured it was time to post a proper intro.

I'm 38 years old. 5'9" 185lbs. I've been lifting on an off since my mid 20s, never made much in the way of progress. I discovered a few years ago that I had low testosterone (low 200s), and have been on TRT since. Given the progress I've made in the last year (once I got better at dialing in my diet and training) I'm thinking I've had low-T since my 20s and that might have explained some (but not all) of my non-progress.

I'm planning to start my first proper cycle in two weeks. I've got labs set to be drawn this coming Monday, and assuming they look good, I'm planning to start a 500mg Test cycle (14 weeks).

Over the last year I worked my way up from 184 to 195lbs (Nov 21 to April 22) then dieted down to 178, (April to August.) There was a fair bit of recomp that happened in there as well, as the scale moved less than I expected but I saw a lot of visual changes. From August until now I've reverse dieted up to maintenance, and have been hanging there while I waited to start this cycle.

Food:
I currently eat 3100 cals (220p/350c/80f)

My current training style is an Upper/Legs/rest/Push/Pull/Legs/rest split.

I would prefer to be on a straight PPL split with rolling days off. But current schedule constraints make that impractical. So I stick with this U/L-P/P/L split.

Most movements are 2 working sets only, with both taken to failure, sometimes with intensity techniques thrown in (forced reps, cluster sets, tempo work, iso holds, etc.) I'm doing progressive overload, looking to improve in weight, reps, or quality of the reps each week.

I've been using this higher intensity /lower volume, 2 working sets program since I started reverse dieting, and have been seeing consistent strength and size gains. Since it's working I don't plan to change anything programming-wise on cycle.

I have no idea what my 1-rep maxes are. But here are some numbers from the last 2 weeks (working sets):

Squat 335x5
BB bench press 215x4, 205x7
DB rows: 100 x 13
RDLs - 225 x 12
Leg Press - 4 plates per side x 20

It's my intention to start a journal/cycle log here to track my progress and hopefully get ideas and advice from members as I go.

I appreciate the huge source of information this board provides, and I'm happy to be a small part of it. Thanks for your time,

I've attached some pics just to get a general idea, they're not great for comparison (different lighting, distance to camera, etc).

-Shep

Attachments

• Jan Feb .jpg
    Jan Feb .jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Aug Sept .jpg
    Aug Sept .jpg
    201 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Yo Bro What’s up
Welcome to the UG

Few questions.
You had low T and for the last year you have ironed that out.

Now you have made great gains with trt and a good diet..
you are older but new to test.

Why not run that a little longer.. if you are making great gains on 200mg I would stay there till the gains stop coming.

You dieted down? Why. Why would you lose 20 pounds if you planned on trying to out more weight in.

You looked real good in the Jan pic (no homo😂)

You should have kept adding weight from the 195 point..
that’s at least what I would have done.. 195 at you night is pretty good.

What is your goal weight with 500mg of test..

Now 500mg of test is a nice dose.
And when you lower back to trt you never have to worry about pct.
That’s the beauty for us guys on trt.

I don’t understand that wo plan.
You do super then lags the next day.

And then a ppl the other days.
Your traing 5 days a week?

I do a pp 4 days a week..
I through legs into it..
Push with the front of my bodt
Pull with the back.
That means quads with the push and so on..

It has worked wonders for me.
It’s early so others will chime in.
Have a good day and see you around..

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground, I like what you've done so far.

Only thing I might suggest is to look into the latest "reverse dieting" research. It's been shown to be a waste of time, if not detrimental, as it delays recovery.

Check out this podcast for a good breakdown on the latest research on the topic...

334: Reverse Dieting & Metabolic Adaptations - Eric Trexler
The Revive Stronger Podcast
Duration: 1:11:13
Published: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 13:00:07 +0000
Episode:
Media: https://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/1355298544-revivestronger-nested-sequence-40-1.mp3

Podcast: https://www.podcastrepublic.net/podcast/1145138636

Eric Trexler is back on the show and we’re talking all things Reverse Dieting & metabolic adaptations.

Should you do it? What are the pros and cons? What is dynamic maintenance and much more? If you ...

----
Sent from Podcast Republic 22.10.28R

Reaction score
Heya @Badleroybrown

I'll see if I can make answer some of the questions. I dieted down from 195 because I had always been a bit fluffy. I'd never been proper lean (still haven't been actually, but I got leaner than I'd ever been in my life). So I put on weight until April, then wanted to lean out for a beach vacation in Mexico over the summer, but also, in preparation for this cycle I wanted to run over the winter. In all the research I'd read, coming into a cycle leaner vs higher body fat was better. So I cut for a bit, to do a proper off season push.

I've been on TRT for several years, but until the last 18 months, I was on an ineffective dose (primary care doc was using an outdated protocol that was keeping me in the 200s to 300s). I'm with a new doctor now, with a much better dosage and, with good diet and training, I've made better progress. So why not stick with my 200mg/wk Test for a while? I probably could. I thought about it. But I'm 38. I kind of lost out on time in my 20s and 30s, so I'd like to see what sort of progress I can make with a push on 500mg before I hit 40.

I'm planning to cycle on the 500mg then go back to my TRT dose for several months. Hang at maintenance to settle into my new weight, and then re-evaluate and plan from there.

My training plan is
Sunday: Upper Day: one chest movement, two back movements, one shoulder movement, one Bicep movement, one tricep movement. (12 working sets)

Monday: Leg (ham and glute focused) Day - Hamstring Curls, RDLs, glute/ham focused leg press, split squats, hip thrusts (10 working sets)

Wednesday - Push Day: 3 chest movements, 1 shoulder movement, 2 tricep movements (10 working sets)

Thursday - Pull Day: 2 vertical pull movements, 2 horizontal pull/row movements, 2 Bicep movements, (10 working sets)

Friday (Quad focused leg day): 2 squat style movements (squat, leg press, hack squat), adductors, lunges, leg extensions (12 working sets)

I'd prefer to do a straight PPL split, with rolling days off but I have certain days of the week (Saturdays) where I can't train. So having a fixed training schedule works well for me.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Heya @Badleroybrown

I'll see if I can make answer some of the questions. I dieted down from 195 because I had always been a bit fluffy. I'd never been proper lean (still haven't been actually, but I got leaner than I'd ever been in my life). So I put on weight until April, then wanted to lean out for a beach vacation in Mexico over the summer, but also, in preparation for this cycle I wanted to run over the winter. In all the research I'd read, coming into a cycle leaner vs higher body fat was better. So I cut for a bit, to do a proper off season push.

I've been on TRT for several years, but until the last 18 months, I was on an ineffective dose (primary care doc was using an outdated protocol that was keeping me in the 200s to 300s). I'm with a new doctor now, with a much better dosage and, with good diet and training, I've made better progress. So why not stick with my 200mg/wk Test for a while? I probably could. I thought about it. But I'm 38. I kind of lost out on time in my 20s and 30s, so I'd like to see what sort of progress I can make with a push on 500mg before I hit 40.

I'm planning to cycle on the 500mg then go back to my TRT dose for several months. Hang at maintenance to settle into my new weight, and then re-evaluate and plan from there.

My training plan is
Sunday: Upper Day: one chest movement, two back movements, one shoulder movement, one Bicep movement, one tricep movement. (12 working sets)

Monday: Leg (ham and glute focused) Day - Hamstring Curls, RDLs, glute/ham focused leg press, split squats, hip thrusts (10 working sets)

Wednesday - Push Day: 3 chest movements, 1 shoulder movement, 2 tricep movements (10 working sets)

Thursday - Pull Day: 2 vertical pull movements, 2 horizontal pull/row movements, 2 Bicep movements, (10 working sets)

Friday (Quad focused leg day): 2 squat style movements (squat, leg press, hack squat), adductors, lunges, leg extensions (12 working sets)

I'd prefer to do a straight PPL split, with rolling days off but I have certain days of the week (Saturdays) where I can't train. So having a fixed training schedule works well for me.
Ever think of switching Wed and Thurs so you're not training Legs the day after Back?

If not, maybe don't squat, as your back fatigue will limit you, stick to hacks and leg press?

Reaction score
Thanks @CJ , I'll look into that. I'm back at maintenance, or a very slight surplus now. My thought on reverse dieting (adding 250-300 cals back each week) was mostly about self control for me. I've always been an eater. Mindless /bored eating is easy for me. And I can put down food no problem. So after having gotten as lean as I've ever been I was worried I could piss it all away in a few short weeks or months if I dove back in and ate like an asshole.

But I'll definitely check out your resources. Thank you.

Reactions: CJ

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Thanks @CJ , I'll look into that. I'm back at maintenance, or a very slight surplus now. My thought on reverse dieting (adding 250-300 cals back each week) was mostly about self control for me. I've always been an eater. Mindless /bored eating is easy for me. And I can out down food no problem. So after having gotten as lean as I've ever been I was worried I could piss it all away in a few short weeks or months if I dove back in and ate like an asshole.

But I'll definitely check out your resources. Thank you.
Hey, if you know yourself, your own body, then sometimes the research should be ignored.

Reaction score
Ever think of switching Wed and Thurs so you're not training Legs the day after Back?

If not, maybe don't squat, as your back fatigue will limit you, stick to hacks and leg press?
I haven't (yet) felt like low back fatigue limited my squats at all. But I don't pull from the floor. Or at least, I haven't been for most of this year. But, I may try swapping anyway. I'm willing to try anything for a bit to see if it works.

Reactions: CJ

TiredandHot

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading and following threads here for several months, figured it was time to post a proper intro.

I'm 38 years old. 5'9" 185lbs. I've been lifting on an off since my mid 20s, never made much in the way of progress. I discovered a few years ago that I had low testosterone (low 200s), and have been on TRT since. Given the progress I've made in the last year (once I got better at dialing in my diet and training) I'm thinking I've had low-T since my 20s and that might have explained some (but not all) of my non-progress.

I'm planning to start my first proper cycle in two weeks. I've got labs set to be drawn this coming Monday, and assuming they look good, I'm planning to start a 500mg Test cycle (14 weeks).

Over the last year I worked my way up from 184 to 195lbs (Nov 21 to April 22) then dieted down to 178, (April to August.) There was a fair bit of recomp that happened in there as well, as the scale moved less than I expected but I saw a lot of visual changes. From August until now I've reverse dieted up to maintenance, and have been hanging there while I waited to start this cycle.

Food:
I currently eat 3100 cals (220p/350c/80f)

My current training style is an Upper/Legs/rest/Push/Pull/Legs/rest split.

I would prefer to be on a straight PPL split with rolling days off. But current schedule constraints make that impractical. So I stick with this U/L-P/P/L split.

Most movements are 2 working sets only, with both taken to failure, sometimes with intensity techniques thrown in (forced reps, cluster sets, tempo work, iso holds, etc.) I'm doing progressive overload, looking to improve in weight, reps, or quality of the reps each week.

I've been using this higher intensity /lower volume, 2 working sets program since I started reverse dieting, and have been seeing consistent strength and size gains. Since it's working I don't plan to change anything programming-wise on cycle.

I have no idea what my 1-rep maxes are. But here are some numbers from the last 2 weeks (working sets):

Squat 335x5
BB bench press 215x4, 205x7
DB rows: 100 x 13
RDLs - 225 x 12
Leg Press - 4 plates per side x 20

It's my intention to start a journal/cycle log here to track my progress and hopefully get ideas and advice from members as I go.

I appreciate the huge source of information this board provides, and I'm happy to be a small part of it. Thanks for your time,

I've attached some pics just to get a general idea, they're not great for comparison (different lighting, distance to camera, etc).

-Shep
Welcome brother, great intro.

Rickt

Elite
Reaction score
Seeing as you have plenty of knowledge and good advice already and a strong will of your own i will just say hi. And tread lightly outside of intro. They aint so nice out of this sanctuary.
Welcome and you look good.

Reaction score
Seeing as you have plenty of knowledge and good advice already and a strong will of your own i will just say hi. And tread lightly outside of intro. They aint so nice out of this sanctuary.
Welcome and you look good.
Understood. I appreciate the advice.

And thank you.

New Threads