Not going as planned

Btcowboy

Reaction score
Thought I would post here as not all read my log.

47 almost 48, a powerlifter. Last comp in November competed at 242. Looking to cut to 180 by end of year. Current weight 216.

Gear currently
6iu GH fasted ED
30mg tren a ED
50mg test c ED
Var 40mg ED

I lift 4 days a week following my prep program so a fair bit of volume. I also do 30mins fasted cardio and 30 mins cardio after supper everyday, all LISS.

Nutrition as follows
2146 Cals
169g carbs
53g fat
247g protein

I can post up the entire days food if needed.

Issue, 5 weeks ago I hit 212lbs but every week since I have gained back weight. I for the life of me dont see how. I am fairly strict with the diet, and have a cheat meal Friday night with wife and it sits about 1000 cals which is 600 over if it wasnt a cheat meal. So no way thats putting me 3500 over.

I am just looking for thoughts, insight, ideas, others may have.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
🤔 is your body composition and strength improving?

Btcowboy

Reaction score
🤔 is your body composition and strength improving?
Strength has not dropped much even with the current loss of about 30lbs BW. I believe composition has changed some but seems to have levelled off.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Do you incorporate carb cycling?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Before I assume anything, give me some information. Are you planning to compete at the 181s? What were your best meet lifts in the 242? Oh and what's your height?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You dropped 30 lbs in 6 months, that's a long time to be dieting down.

Could it just be time to hang out here for awhile, before the next leg of the weight loss plan? 🤔

Btcowboy

Reaction score
Before I assume anything, give me some information. Are you planning to compete at the 181s? What were your best meet lifts in the 242? Oh and what's your height?
No the plan would be to go back up compete and maintain 198. I dont need to hit 180 exactly just want to drop as much fat as possible.

Meet lifts fell a little flat due to a torn hamstring 4 weeks out.
Squat 275 plan was 405
Bench 265 hit 285 but called for sinking
Deadlift 501

I am 5 ft 10

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
No the plan would be to go back up compete and maintain 198. I dont need to hit 180 exactly just want to drop as much fat as possible.

Meet lifts fell a little flat due to a torn hamstring 4 weeks out.
Squat 275 plan was 405
Bench 265 hit 285 but called for sinking
Deadlift 501

I am 5 ft 10
Just confirm something for me because I have seen this before; even thought about it myself but experience told me better. You're not looking at some numbers in the 181 or 198s and say, I could do that!?

Sooner or later, as a lifter develops, their body settles into their weight class. The only time I feel it's ok to go down a weight class is to set a record. You were in the 242s and if you were close to weight then, dropping down two or three weight classes is going to suck up your strength big time. At 5'-10" and 180 lbs, you're going to feel like fuuk, lose some hard earned muscle mass, and have to work hard to get it back.

Big weight loss will also require more cardio, you just cant do it all with diet. Some cardio is better than others for lifters but your wheels and back will take a beating. That will cost you in your total and could even end in injury.

I know I'm off the topic of your original question but I don't what you to do something detrimental to your lifting. What is the end game to this after all? Just see how low you can go?

Btcowboy

Reaction score
Just confirm something for me because I have seen this before; even thought about it myself but experience told me better. You're not looking at some numbers in the 181 or 198s and say, I could do that!?

Sooner or later, as a lifter develops, their body settles into their weight class. The only time I feel it's ok to go down a weight class is to set a record. You were in the 242s and if you were close to weight then, dropping down two or three weight classes is going to suck up your strength big time. At 5'-10" and 180 lbs, you're going to feel like fuuk, lose some hard earned muscle mass, and have to work hard to get it back.

Big weight loss will also require more cardio, you just cant do it all with diet. Some cardio is better than others for lifters but your wheels and back will take a beating. That will cost you in your total and could even end in injury.

I know I'm off the topic of your original question but I don't what you to do something detrimental to your lifting. What is the end game to this after all? Just see how low you can go?
All good and appreciate all advice and other views.

I am my best around 200 -210, was supposed to compete at 220 but started prep over that so went up a weight class.

You are right maybe I am asking for too much. Last time I was sub 190 was about 4 5 yrs ago

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I dieted down for 2 years man 95lbs , keto , carnivore and just not eating. I got to a point where I could eat a salad , do an hour of cardio , walk 2 miles with the wife and just wasn't losing any weight it would just fluctuate up and down a few lbs. I had to stop eat normal and gain a bit back for a while before I could lose more.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
All good and appreciate all advice and other views.

I am my best around 200 -210, was supposed to compete at 220 but started prep over that so went up a weight class.

You are right maybe I am asking for too much. Last time I was sub 190 was about 4 5 yrs ago
Ok then lets shoot for the 198's and put a dent in your numbers. All things being equal, the difference in total between the 198s and 220's is about 75 lbs but to be honest, you could improve on those numbers you have and still make the 198's.

As for your diet, your protein could be 40g lower. (Someone just shit themselves reading that). Your cardio should be enough as is. I'd say hold your course for now and see if you get over this plateau. If you don't see something in a few weeks, hit me up and we'll play some other cards.

Btcowboy

Reaction score
Ok then lets shoot for the 198's and put a dent in your numbers. All things being equal, the difference in total between the 198s and 220's is about 75 lbs but to be honest, you could improve on those numbers you have and still make the 198's.

As for your diet, your protein could be 40g lower. (Someone just shit themselves reading that). Your cardio should be enough as is. I'd say hold your course for now and see if you get over this plateau. If you don't see something in a few weeks, hit me up and we'll play some other cards.
Much appreciated thank you

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score

Weight loss requires no cardio.
Cardio is only a tool to further a deficit.

Charger69

Reaction score
Weight loss requires no cardio.
Cardio is only a tool to further a deficit.

You are right to a point. What are you after for weight loss? Aerobic or anaerobic energy consumption will determine what is being utilized and change the body composition. Ie how are you going to genearate the ATP for energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
How long you been at that weight? Could be stress, that a week at maintenance cals could help.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
You are right to a point. What are you after for weight loss? Aerobic or anaerobic energy consumption will determine what is being utilized and change the body composition. Ie how are you going to genearate the ATP for energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right to a point? Nope. It’s the law of thermodynamics.
Energy consumed vs energy burned for weight loss.
Ever seen an anorexic or a picture of a Holocaust survivor?

Of course you’ll have to have proper protein intake and resistance training in order to preserve muscle.
But that’s not what is being discussed.
Somebody forgot to tell this guy you need to do cardio.

Attachments

• 371B8D36-36C9-498B-B18F-CEC649A5B6DE.jpeg
    371B8D36-36C9-498B-B18F-CEC649A5B6DE.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 12

Btcowboy

Reaction score
How long you been at that weight? Could be stress, that a week at maintenance cals could help.
Up and down 5 weeks ago 212 then slow increase up to 216. Been cutting 6 months.

New Threads