Nutrition debate with my brother (advice needed)

Reaction score
Down the rabbit hole

My brother has been watching videos online saying certain things are bad for you which i eat.

-White Pasta
-White Rice
-Bread
-Whole Milk

Are theses bad for my health? White pasta and white rice are a main staple of my diet carb wise

He also shits on full body workouts which i do and he believes i'm not working hard because i'm not smashing back or something like back and biceps in one workout wheres mine is spread through the week on a full body workout

Reaction score
Your brother is not watching videos of credible or knowledgeable individuals.

There are no inherently bad foods.
Yes but am i doing diss service to my gains and health by eating theses as a main staple in my diet

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes but am i doing diss service to my gains and health by eating theses as a main staple in my diet
As long as your calories, protein, and fiber are in order and you're consuming a decent variety of fruits & veg, those foods are probably fine.

Reaction score
Your two recent posts suggest your brother read a few articles and now considers himself an expert. Is he older than you? It sounds like that type of dynamic.

I learned surgery on YouTube but I haven't been able to gather any volunteers. My video honed skills will go to waste.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Whole milk absolutely nothing wrong.
White rice and white pasta compared to what? As a carb source? Nutrient source? Is he saying they're not good at all or compared to a whole grain rice or pasta

Last edited:

Reader591

Reaction score
Let’s play a little devils advocate here though, and go a little crunchy.

Anything wrong with those foods? No. Especially depending on the individual goals. You are depleting glycogen stores when going to the gym and benifit from having them full. As long as the amount you are eating is appropriate for the goal, it’s fine. Best choice to meet micro nutrient needs? Probably not but let’s be honest, that’s kinda hard to do with food alone anyway.

Would it be great to recommend a middle aged inactive and under muscled soccer mom to eat this way who is also prediabetic? Probably not a smart choice.

Also anyone can have problems with any food. I’ve had issues with broccoli before (amping other things) and had to remove it for a time. Now I do fine with it. Other than carnivore groups, no one out there is telling the masses to remove broccoli because it “could” cause a problem for “some”.

For me I don’t do well with large amounts of pastas and white bread no matter what. So I don’t eat them a lot. What you eat does matter, but YOU have to go through the process of finding out what that is for you. So a blanket dietary statement is hard to make of what’s good and bad.

The general truths, at least for body composition, is a slight surplus to gain muscle, slight deficient to lose fat, gram of protein per pound of body weight (if a reasonable weight, otherwise use ideal goal weight). Try to keep foods as close to Whole Foods as possible is generally good (but some people who have a hard time eating enough may benifit from more palatable processed foods but still try) and allow fat and carbs to fill in the rest of needed calories outside of protein to fuel needed performance and obtain desired goal. Assuming you reach an essential amount of dietary healthy fat needed (most have no problems doing that).

Basically you have general truths but you can almost always make a case for the exception so the debate becomes exhausting and feeling pointless.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
He's looking at general weight loss information. Everything there is terrible from a caloric density perspective.

Definitely a list to avoid in a caloric deficit if you don't want to be hungry.

Sounds like it's just a person that regurgitates information without knowing the context of what makes it valuable.

Reaction score
Down the rabbit hole

My brother has been watching videos online saying certain things are bad for you which i eat.

-White Pasta
-White Rice
-Bread
-Whole Milk

Are theses bad for my health? White pasta and white rice are a main staple of my diet carb wise

He also shits on full body workouts which i do and he believes i'm not working hard because i'm not smashing back or something like back and biceps in one workout wheres mine is spread through the week on a full body workout
You lost me at " My brother has been watching videos online saying..."

Reaction score
Funny argument here though.

“The youtube video I saw said…..”

“Yeah, well the strangers on the bodybuilding forum told me…..”

Lol
YouTube guys do things for the algorithm and just to make money like v shreds on YouTube

And I just wanted to post on a forum lol

Maybe you are right lol

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
YouTube guys do things for the algorithm and just to make money like v shreds on YouTube

And I just wanted to post on a forum lol

Maybe you are right lol
Do you ever find life to be lacking purpose

New Threads