Potential hernia - what exercises to avoid?

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
So like the title says, I might have gotten an umbilical hernia.

The TLDR is as follows; think I might have gotten an umbilical hernia, it feels minor at this stage but also very distinct. I have an appointment with my doctor when I get back into the US. I plan on skipping leg day until I can be evaluated. I know the obvious movements I should avoid for now; such as deadlifts rack pulls, etc., But I thought I should ask what are the less obvious exercises I should avoid on push and pull day?

Background / Long version
I started feeling discomfort on Wednesday night. Earlier that day, I worked legs and pause squats were in the routine. It was really light weight though, only 180lbs with a 5 second pause on the bottom. This is the only thing I can think that caused it, but I had no pain or discomfort at any point during the workout.

The previous day I worked back, and the only exercise there I think might be able to cause it was the one arm Barbell rows.. but again it was a very light workout, nothing heavy.

It's also possible that I did not hurt myself while working out at all. I mean some days I hurt my back just getting out of bed 😂... So 🤷‍♂️

I feel some pain around the navel, and if I palpate the area then I can feel a bump above the navel between the two abs. However its a very minor bump, but I can tell it's not supposed to be there. The bump is not visible at all.

The discomfort has been getting less with each day, but obviously I'm concerned it might be a hernia. I have an appointment with my primary doctor when I get back into the United States.

I will be skipping leg day for now. I know the obvious exercises to avoid on push/pull day, but what are some of the less obvious movements that I should avoid if I do have an umbilical hernia?

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
In additional to the obvious ones you already mentioned all overhead and free standing movements should be avoided. Even things like dumbbell raises, standing curls, etc. can aggravate a hernia. Avoid anything that requires the core to be engaged and braced. I would stick with strictly isolation movements on machines until you get it sorted out.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
In additional to the obvious ones you already mentioned all overhead and free standing movements should be avoided. Even things like dumbbell raises, standing curls, etc. can aggravate a hernia. Avoid anything that requires the core to be engaged and braced. I would stick with strictly isolation movements on machines until you get it sorted out.

That’s almost every seated or laying presses exercise…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
That’s almost every seated or laying presses exercise…

You mean as far as exercises I can do, or have I misunderstood?

If so, then that shouldn't be too bad for me to re write my programming around.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I hadn't even thought about standing movements.

That certainly makes it easier to program around until I can get looked at, and potentially have it taken care of.

My hope, is that if it is a hernia, is that I caught it super early and that it's minor enough to where they don't need to apply a mesh, and that recovery will be short and sweet. We shall see!

Reaction score
I gotta second this. I have nothing useful to add to it except…Mine was a hiatal, but still, anything involving the core. Which I found out after my surgery-is EVERYTHING lol.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
OHP is a big no no.

Any ab work, especially cable crunches

Deadlifts

Any type of squat

Basically avoid anything that you have to brace strongly for. Stick to machines or free weight exercises where you torso is well supported.

Achillesking

I ❤️ The Golden Girls
Reaction score
So like the title says, I might have gotten an umbilical hernia.

The TLDR is as follows; think I might have gotten an umbilical hernia, it feels minor at this stage but also very distinct. I have an appointment with my doctor when I get back into the US. I plan on skipping leg day until I can be evaluated. I know the obvious movements I should avoid for now; such as deadlifts rack pulls, etc., But I thought I should ask what are the less obvious exercises I should avoid on push and pull day?

Background / Long version
I started feeling discomfort on Wednesday night. Earlier that day, I worked legs and pause squats were in the routine. It was really light weight though, only 180lbs with a 5 second pause on the bottom. This is the only thing I can think that caused it, but I had no pain or discomfort at any point during the workout.

The previous day I worked back, and the only exercise there I think might be able to cause it was the one arm Barbell rows.. but again it was a very light workout, nothing heavy.

It's also possible that I did not hurt myself while working out at all. I mean some days I hurt my back just getting out of bed 😂... So 🤷‍♂️

I feel some pain around the navel, and if I palpate the area then I can feel a bump above the navel between the two abs. However its a very minor bump, but I can tell it's not supposed to be there. The bump is not visible at all.

The discomfort has been getting less with each day, but obviously I'm concerned it might be a hernia. I have an appointment with my primary doctor when I get back into the United States.

I will be skipping leg day for now. I know the obvious exercises to avoid on push/pull day, but what are some of the less obvious movements that I should avoid if I do have an umbilical hernia?
Does the bump go in when you push?

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
You mean as far as exercises I can do, or have I misunderstood?

If so, then that shouldn't be too bad for me to re write my programming around.

Yes, you might be able to do seated shoulders but the more you incline the more you will be using core.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Does the bump go in when you push?
I don't think so. It feels like a hard lump.

It's hard for me to feel it. I have to be in certain positions to notice. I'll test before I got to bed and post an update.

Achillesking

I ❤️ The Golden Girls
Reaction score
I don't think so. It feels like a hard lump.

It's hard for me to feel it. I have to be in certain positions to notice. I'll test before I got to bed and post an update.
If it's causing you pain and doesn't push back in go see primary. You don't need those hernia stuck man. Could cause a whole world of trouble

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
If it's causing you pain and doesn't push back in go see primary. You don't need those hernia stuck man. Could cause a whole world of trouble
Thing is, I'm not really in pain. I have to do a very specific motion to feel it.

It's also getting less uncomfortable with each day.

Either way I have an appointment scheduled for when I get back into the states. If it's a hernia then I'll have it fixed ASAP. Better to take care of it now, than ignore it and then the tear gets bigger.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
Thing is, I'm not really in pain. I have to do a very specific motion to feel it.

It's also getting less uncomfortable with each day.

Either way I have an appointment scheduled for when I get back into the states. If it's a hernia then I'll have it fixed ASAP. Better to take care of it now, than ignore it and then the tear gets bigger.

Yes. You don’t want that thing coming out. When I used to help the homeless, one man went without treating and much of his gut came out and created a second stomach on his side.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
My boss has one on his stomach it looks like a shark fin he has had it for over a year . I work with some strait up savages that could give a shit about their bodies it’s pretty sad to see.

Now you started something. Your shark-man coworker. Watch yourself; he pro’ly bites.

GSgator

Reaction score
Now you started something. Your shark-man coworker. Watch yourself; he pro’ly bites.

Dude you can see that fucking thing thru his shirt it’s so gross. I don’t understand why he doesn’t go get it fixed he is a general foreman for christ sakes. Which means he points his finger and doesn’t do physical labor so he wouldn’t miss to much work . It looks like a pear under his skin over the top of his belly button . Next time he comes over I’ll try to see if he will let me take a picture lol.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Dude you can see that fucking thing thru his shirt it’s so gross. I don’t understand why he doesn’t go get it fixed he is a general foreman for christ sakes. Which means he points his finger and doesn’t do physical labor. It looks like a pear under his skin over the top of his belly button . Next time he comes over I’ll try to see if he will let me take a picture.
Yeah, that's gross. Mine isn't visible, but that's exactly why I want to get it taken care of ASAP if imaging confirms it is a hernia.

I'm hoping it will heal well/strong if I take care of it early. And also hoping no aesthetics are lost since I can see my abs, but can't see this bump through my skin.

Crazy to think that not everyone gets this take care of whenever they have an opportunity.

GSgator

Reaction score
Yeah, that's gross. Mine isn't visible, but that's exactly why I want to get it taken care of ASAP if imaging confirms it is a hernia.

I'm hoping it will heal well/strong if I take care of it early. And also hoping no aesthetics are lost since I can see my abs, but can't see this bump through my skin.

Crazy to think that not everyone gets this take care of whenever they have an opportunity.
Sounds like if yours is one you are getting it done before it bulges to far. You should heal up quick to. When are you flying back ?

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Sounds like if yours is one you are getting it done before it bulges to far. You should heal up quick to. When are you flying back ?
I'll be back on May 19th. My appointment is on the 20th. I probably won't get imaging done that day, but I'll at least get the initial exam over with and hopefully a referral to radiology.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I had one fixed a few years ago. My primary didn’t see a reason for me to have it fixed. 😳. I said I wanted a consult with a surgeon. The surgeon said If I didn’t have it done it would only get worse.

Most people don’t have an issue with the repair. But I’ll tell you the pain I experienced ….. for the first few days wasn’t fun.

New Threads