Smith Machine: Like or despise it

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Your stabilizer muscles will only be affected if u use the smith for everything. Using it for one exercise on chest day will not cause any imbalances. But if your doing every lift on the smith u shouldn't be in the gym. Haha

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Saw some dude doing one-arm rows using the Smith machine last weekend. It was all I could do to keep from pointing and laughing.

I don't have as much composure as you. I would have done it.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think it has its place.. i wouldnt use it all the time but here and there why the fuk not

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So, I'm no bodybuilder, but I think A lot of you guys are. There are 100's of internet vids with Pro BBers using the smith machine for squats, bench press, and shoulder press. Is this common? I see everyone ripping on the smith machine(I don't use it either)so I started messin around on you tube. There's lots of 'em, all BBers. It must work for them.

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
4:00 min mark this dude benches on smith machine and calls it the best execise for building the chest.

Last edited:

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
4:00 min mark this dude benches on smith machine and calls it the best execise for building the chest.

He saying that flat bench is best but especially on a smith because of concentration.

Last edited:

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
These guys build their foundations and mass eearly in their careers with heavy compound movements. They All say it. When u get to that level and that size u can use a smith machine for hypertrophy because the amount of food they eat and gear they take. That's why they are professionals. And the last thing they want to do it get hurt before a upcoming show.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
These guys build their foundations and mass eearly in their careers with heavy compound movements. They All say it. When u get to that level and that size u can use a smith machine for hypertrophy because the amount of food they eat and gear they take. That's why they are professionals. And the last thing they want to do it get hurt before a upcoming show.

Yup. Cutler used to squat 700. The top pros bases are built, and they are training to not get hurt and let the drugs do the work.

No one is building a strong solid foundation doing reps of 15-20.

That said, I don't use the smith machine.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Yup. Cutler used to squat 700. The top pros bases are built, and they are training to not get hurt and let the drugs do the work.

No one is building a strong solid foundation doing reps of 15-20.

That said, I don't use the smith machine.

Unless your Ronnie Coleman and wanna squat 800 and dead 800 weeks prior to a show. Haha. S

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense. I see alot of very large BBers at my gym using the smith machines, and I always thought "what the **** are they doing?" Now, it kinda makes sense. I still don't like those damn things though.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense. I see alot of very large BBers at my gym using the smith machines, and I always thought "what the **** are they doing?" Now, it kinda makes sense. I still don't like those damn things though.

A lot of those guys also have serious joint pain so the machines help.

TheExperiment

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like the Smith Machine. Easy on the joints and allows me to focus on the negative rep and allows me to maximize concentration.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
I’d like to take this time to bump a 4yo thread and say I love smith machines. They’re even better than chairs at laying out your belt and wraps on or even leaning over to catch your breath after a heavy set from a real piece of workout equipment.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Don't discount the Smith machine, it does have some good uses other than the afore mentioned. I hammer out behind the back upright rows on it. Hits the traps and mid back nicely.

Last edited:

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It’s a tool in the tool box. I’ve used it to do calves in gyms that didn’t have a standing calf machine and I have used it to work around injuries.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
I dont mind it for certain things, BNP's light (for my bad shoulders) shrugs, upright rows) that's about it.

Sems like its a "gym bro" thing to hate it, lots of old school guys dont mind it. Each his own...

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just hate the SM because doing some squats on it put me in the ER one night......never again, definitely a noob mistake.

I've used it semi-recently for some guillotine presses which was nice.

Maijah

Elite
Reaction score
Smith should only be used for heavy ass squats and Max bench days

Intense

Reaction score
I like it from time to time for incline and decline pressing.

New Threads