Sodium intake? Let's 'ave it

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I put salt in my soda

CantTouchThis

Reaction score
Thank you. I was coming in to post about the importance of maintaining balance with electrolytes to help prevent cramping.

CTT, you've got some good advice just don't min/max your electrolytes. Question; are you on any medications beside gear? I ask because certain ones, like the Valsartan I'm on has warnings about it creating an imbalance.

Interesting; I get more than enough potassium a day and I take an "electrolytes" set of tablets that have Magnesium, Potassium and Sodium in daily. I believe my Magnesium is definitely in check too but I'll check that out!

I never knew sufficient potassium cancels out excess sodium; I'll have to do a bit of research.

To answer your question Iron, Currently not on gear. The only medication I take is Betnovate 0.1% which is a steroid cream prescribed for eczema! Although I don't believe it should cause any imbalances to my electrolytes.

I think I'll take the forums advice and just start upping my sodium and seeing what feels most comfortable for my body; what stops the cramps but at the same time doesnt make me look like a whale!

I try to drink a lot of water a day too; I struggle with getting above 4L due to my job and the fact I'm constantly dealing with a situation and I don't get the benefit of going to the toilet every 20 minutes. I normally do get in a good 4L a day though!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
CTT, check which kind of magnesium is in your supplement. Most use Magnesium OXIDE, which is cheap but junk. You want something like Magnesium Citrate. Your body ends up utilizing more of the base Magnesium, the whole bio availability thing.

Same with LOTS of the vitamins and minerals we take as supplements. Research the firm that they're in.

There are even some that shouldn't be taken together. I believe Zinc and Copper is an example. I also think Iron basically bullies some other minerals too, being preferentially absorbed at the expense of others.

It's like a goddam puzzle!!!

P.S. - I'd recommended maybe getting tested for any vit/mineral deficiency BEFORE just blasting away at supplements. Some are dangerous if you have too much.

Last edited:

CantTouchThis

Reaction score
CTT, check which kind of magnesium is in your supplement. Most use Magnesium OXIDE, which is cheap but junk. You want something like Magnesium Citrate. Your body ends up utilizing more of the base Magnesium, the whole bio availability thing.

Same with LOTS of the vitamins and minerals we take as supplements. Research the firm that they're in.

There are even some that shouldn't be taken together. I believe Zinc and Copper is an example. I also think Iron basically bullies some other minerals too, being preferentially absorbed at the expense of others.

It's like a goddam puzzle!!!

P.S. - I'd recommended maybe getting tested for any vit/mineral deficiency BEFORE just blasting away at supplements. Some are dangerous if you have too much.

Appreciated! Will look into all of this! Definitely something worth keeping track of. I was actually going to do an allergy test/mineral test/tolerance test to see if there was anything I was allergic to or tolerant to! So I'll see if I can incorporate that.

Much love UG

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
I don't track sodium but I can tell you when I have ingested too much.

New Threads