Sorta new, need advice

$uperfly1

Lady Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :) I’m 46yo and have been an endurance athlete most of my life(raced bicycles, ran track in college) I’ve always been into running, riding or anything else that takes endurance so I’m used to long and hard workouts but, I’m confused about weight training. I’ve lifted weights for years but not seriously and now I am doing it full time, taking it seriously, and so I have a few questions and want to hear from the women on here....How long are each of your workout sessions? How many of you do a combination of weight training and cardio? Do you do intense cardio? If so how long is your cardio session?
I am trying to plan my workouts but there are so many different options/opinions/plans, it gets confusing. Thank you!

Gabriel

Reaction score
At 1st it can look overwhelming..like Jin said snout goals.. that's how you select your training routine..If doing slow twitch events,you may want to train that way..or even switch it up to train the fast or even intermediate..

And then again just find a layout that fits for now and learn as you go..Having all the answers,would be nice but it's more of a trial and error thing.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Welcome to the underground!
There's alot of helpful information and other women to help you get where you're trying to be!

$uperfly1

Lady Member
Reaction score
my goal is to train for fast twitch. I have endurance for days but I don’t have as much power as I would like, I’ve slowly built up some strength over the last year but I want more. I’ve always been thin with long stringy muscles, I want to be more cut, have more weight on me and obviously bigger muscles. I’ve never been able to achieve that.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
If you're looking to build explosive power you're training will be drastically different than how you trained for your endurance sports. There are some articles here that can help you with your goals. It should be fun as it will be completely different than what you're used to.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You're going to have to build up strength before doing anything powerful. If you don't have the prerequisite strength, you won't be able to display any power.

$uperfly1

Lady Member
Reaction score
Okay thank you. One more thing...can you tell me how much time you take per training session? Are you in the gym for an hour? Two hours? I’m trying to build my plan so I’m not over/under doing it.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Okay thank you. One more thing...can you tell me how much time you take per training session? Are you in the gym for an hour? Two hours? I’m trying to build my plan so I’m not over/under doing it.

For me personally, my workouts start fading quickly by the the 1 hour mark. Sure, I could go longer, but it's just not productive at that point. I can tell when I'm fading.

Get in, work hard, get out.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score

Everyone is different.

I can tell you that over the past decades, I rarely see the guys who are in the gym for several hours look any different than they did a year ago.

An hour is plenty enough time to get a solid, productive workout in. I never spend more than an hour weight training. Exceptions being on a leg day that includes heavy squats.

Anything more than that for me is counterproductive.

Adding cardio is a different scenario.

Reactions: Jin