Stepping up II

TR90125

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen my thread in the TRT forum titled stepping up. I decided to create a second thread and move it to the General forum. I have learned a TON of shit over the last 4 years, most of it coming from this forum. Although the journey has been difficult at times I am in a very good place these days. I wanted to provide an update photo and I am also including a "before" pic from 2010, which was when I started my therapy.

Taken this weekend....

I have learned a lot of lessons the hard way since starting this journey. The before picture above is essentially the same body type I have always had with the exception of about 3 months following basic training.

When I started, despite the fact that Chip Wadowski specifically told me HRT was NOT a silver bullet, I really thought it was and could not wait to get my first delivery so I could get ripped and big. Turns out Chip was right.

3J was my first nutritionist and while I was able to see results on the plan he created, in retrospect I was not paying attention to how my body reacted and we did not communicate enough. 3J's plan was based on the assumption I was lifting like a bodybuilder, I wasn't. In fact, shortly after starting 3J's plan my weight training flatlined. I was doing the same 8 or 10 machine based exercises and essentially half assing it. The lesson learned was to pay attention to everything and let your results determine your strategy. At the time, my lack of results really just took the wind out of my sails.

Spongy was my second nutritionist and in addition to working with a personal trainer I was able to get to a weight to 175ish with a body fat of 14.9%. These measurements were taken December 19th, the day before leaving for an extended Christmas vacation in Maine. Three months and 4 trips later my weight was 185 and my body fat was 18.1ish. The lesson learned here is that you can only take your hand off the wheel for a second, and just a few weeks of beer and poor diet can unwind months of hard work.

After my son and I got back from our spring break mancation, I was ready to get back on and stay on. I had come to realize that proper nutrition and dedication to fitness isn't something you can give up on when you reach a goal weight or body fat percentage, it's just something you either do or don't do. In the absence of consistency, might as well not even do it. So, I had a new found concept of consistency.

In the nutrition arena, the word of the day is vigilance. Gram scales, measuring cups and meal plans completed 7 days out. I just recently experimented with a reduced calorie intake and I quit losing body fat AND the scale was dropping. Fuck that. I jumped back on the calories and macros Spongy originally setup and feel way better. Scale weight is up about 2 pounds and BF is the same. The point is, my results changed and I listened to my body.

The why......

I have also recently come to realize that my motivation to be fit, specifically to lift weights and change my body composition has changed quite a bit since day one. When I first started I couldn't wait to be one of the big guys and while there are quite a few members on SI that I would consider role models, I have reached a point where I am striving to be the best version of me I can be. I think this has allowed me to put more emphasis on the process and the journey than the end result, which most likely speeds up the results.

My stats as of this morning were

Weight 171
BF% 13.4 (all body fat stats are based on handheld electronic device)

And yes, my wife cannot get enough of me. I am changing so much it's like she's constantly getting strange cock. Whatever, I'll take it.

So, the journey continues. I have my sites set on a BF% of 10 and a weight of 180. My height is 5'9".

Peace

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn bro get job!!

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ha great post! You look solid bro keep up your hard work what a pay off.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Who are the guys here you consider role models? If they truly are, a bit of recognition is always nice.

You're looking good in that bottom picture. A little flat is all. If you keep the cals up, cycle your carbs and push hard in training you'll find them filling out more. They'll push against the skin tightly and you'll look much bigger than you actually are.

TR90125

Reaction score
Who are the guys here you consider role models? If they truly are, a bit of recognition is always nice.

You're looking good in that bottom picture. A little flat is all. If you keep the cals up, cycle your carbs and push hard in training you'll find them filling out more. They'll push against the skin tightly and you'll look much bigger than you actually are.

Great advice all around....

TR90125

Reaction score
Thanks to

Cashout for obvious reasons, Dfeaton for inviting me to Steroid Insight, Spongy for the nutritional guidance, although I don't see them much around here, Mr. and Mrs. P just for looking so damn good, Brother Bundy for being that guy that always says "yes" to the would you hit it question, PFM for being the guy the helps me cope with my political rage better than anyone, Vette63 for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is allowing me to believe I can look better in 10 years than I do today. I'm sure there's more, but it's a start.

I should add Chip just for getting me off Testim and on a real program.

TR90125

Reaction score
And I'm giving 49er an honorable mention just because his avatar is so hot.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You've made great progress TR and fantastic post btw. Being consistent is the key. What's your protocol looking like now? Keep at it & without a doubt you'll hit your goals.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good job. No great job so far. Keep it up!

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
great work tr!! keep at it...

New Threads