Suggestions for a good Weightlifting belt

Kraken

Reaction score
After my back recovered from a minor injury, I used a lifting belt on my squats and deads, and it seemed to make a nice difference. I'm looking to buy one, and would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks guys!

FlyingPapaya

Shit Pickle
Reaction score
Inzer or pioneer or sbd if you can afford the coin.
Sbd being the $$$$ option

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
Inzer is a solid belt.
The forever is a good choice.
What I like about clip belts, easy to fasten an unfasten.

With a permanent back injury, I wear my belt.for.support with pretty much everything that is heavy (Below 10 reps)

So you can just unclip to wear it looser for other sets, and clip up for your heavy lifts.

You'll get.your support either way.

You can go with any belt realistically, I still love my OG Everlast slim... it fucking works, but it's a pain adjusting it for every set/drop set etc.

Just remember, every study shows that belts are beneficial, so dont limit yourself

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Inzers are great (the belt I use), SBDs are great belts, too, but extremely overpriced.

I hear good things about Pioneers but I’ve never tried one.

This is assuming that you’re using it for powerlifting. If you’re using it for more of a bodybuilding support you might want to look into tapered belts because they’re more comfortable. Rogue makes some good ones designed for Olympic lifting.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I use one of those inexpensive 2 hole tappered leather belts. Truthfully, I like the way they fit tight. I handled some fair amount of weight in the past with this type.

FlyingPapaya

Shit Pickle
Reaction score
Pioneer uses a similar adjustable lever buckle as sbd without the price tag in 10mm and 13mm fyi

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
I prefer the Inzer lever belt in 13mm

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
I prefer the Inzer lever belt in 13mm
That’s exactly what I have. It took forever to break in because it’s so damn thick, but now it’s my favourite piece of gym kit.

I turn mine backwards for bent over rows so I don’t bash the level with the bar. That’s really the only downside.

Kraken

Reaction score
Thanks guys, great info! I'm willing to spend the money for a belt that will help support my back, but of course I don't want to pay for just a name brand just because. I don't compete, I mostly squat and do deads. In that case, is it true that the difference between powerlifting and weightlifting belts is unimportant?

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lots of good recommendations for name brand belts. You just said you do mostly squats and deads so a safe bet would be a 10 cm belt. Keep in mind a good belt is money well spent and will last you for many years

Kraken

Reaction score
This is assuming that you’re using it for powerlifting. If you’re using it for more of a bodybuilding support you might want to look into tapered belts because they’re more comfortable. Rogue makes some good ones designed for Olympic lifting.

Powerlifting meaning, mostly heavy deads and squats? I also do the normal stuff, bench, overhead press, pull downs...

Everyone had great suggestions, and I like the Inzer Forever because of the lever. Looks like I can make it tight and not worry about getting out of it. When I'm in good shape, my waist is 29 inches, which is the top of the small. The medium goes 30 to 33, which would work now. Would the medium work well an inch below it's range?

Reaction score
I have a Toro lever Belt. I have had it for 11 years. The only thing I have ever replaced on it was the lever. It is by far the best belt I have ever had and I use it weekly… I belive it is about 6” wide. I make I set the screws for the lever 1 hole tighter then needed. That’s so when I crank the lever down it really sucks me in…

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
Another vote for Inzer. Had mine for over 20 years. Pioneer will be my next purchase though. I love that new lever design they have.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Powerlifting meaning, mostly heavy deads and squats? I also do the normal stuff, bench, overhead press, pull downs...

Everyone had great suggestions, and I like the Inzer Forever because of the lever. Looks like I can make it tight and not worry about getting out of it. When I'm in good shape, my waist is 29 inches, which is the top of the small. The medium goes 30 to 33, which would work now. Would the medium work well an inch below it's range?
I’d think so. If not you can always drill new holes in it — although that would definitely void the lifetime warranty.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Remember a lifting belt isn't designed to "support your back" it's to provide a better material to brace against than your weak abdominal wall.
This does not support your back in any direct way, it can help with minimizing injury by being more stable by bracing properly.

Just don't expect it to function like a back brace, and watch some YouTube videos on how to use a belt properly. (Yes it's something you have to learn how to use if you want any benefit from it) The amount of people I see wearing lifting belts that are doing absolutely nothing for them is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Kraken

Reaction score
Remember a lifting belt isn't designed to "support your back" it's to provide a better material to brace against than your weak abdominal wall.
This does not support your back in any direct way, it can help with minimizing injury by being more stable by bracing properly.

Just don't expect it to function like a back brace, and watch some YouTube videos on how to use a belt properly. (Yes it's something you have to learn how to use if you want any benefit from it) The amount of people I see wearing lifting belts that are doing absolutely nothing for them is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thanks I'll definitely take this advice.

I was wondering if a belt would reduce the benefit of squatting as far as my core is concerned, from this it sounds like it would not.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Thanks I'll definitely take this advice.

I was wondering if a belt would reduce the benefit of squatting as far as my core is concerned, from this it sounds like it would not.
Not at all. Your core is still doing the bracing, you’re just bracing it against something that’s stiffer than your abdominal wall.

I would suggest not wearing it until you get to your heavier working sets, though. I leave mine off for anything below 80% 1RM. You don’t want to be completely reliant on it.

That’s just me, though. I’m sure you’ll get ten different opinions on that subject.

New Threads