Superset triset giantset

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
These make up the majority of my training program. I like them as same muscle or opposite muscle. It's not something you do to a program all at once, it can lead to overtraining in the beginning. We build up endurance as we go along.

I enjoy a good training discussion. I'm going to list my favorites of these sets. You are welcome to list yours.

SUPERSET - opposite muscle

LEGS curls/extensions

I feel like I really beat the shit out of them with this. I use them as a pre exhaust and to finish them off. I was trisetting with calves but I had to slow down the entire workout for a little more rest/recovery time. Legs are brutal enough, lol

TRISET- same muscle

DELTS front/side/rear

This one is actually a drop triset for laterals. It's the first exercise in a giant set. I start with 15lb dumbbells, hit all 3 then switch to 10lb dumbbells and hit all 3 again. This is the best shoulder finisher I've used, it made a visible difference as I have shoulder problems and stay away from heavy shit.

GIANT SET- opposite muscle

CHEST/BACK/BICEP/TRICEP/SHOULDER- Independent Arm Machine (IAM) incline press / IAM rows / IAM curls / pushdowns 1 arm at a time / DB shrugs.

I really like these giant sets. I built them up over time, I do 4 in the weeks training. A lot guys fear overworking but I believe it's a matter of under eating or not taking time to build up to it. Switch the whole program up and maintenance cals change quite a bit. If you hit 2 giant sets in a training period you are burning up considerable cals, I do anyways since I volume train as well.

xyokoma

Elite Lady Member
Reaction score
Good info, never heard of a triset for same muscle.
Might try on shoulders as well since they're my weak point.

Reactions: HDH

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Have fun doing cardio, I’m going to keep focusing on progressive overload and getting huge.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Never was a fan of supersets, tri sets and now you're getting into a circuit style workout with giant sets. Probably good if you're looking to burn some calories as you stated and build some endurance. But for building size, you're not getting much past the 1st exercise. But then again, if you're in a hurry and you're looking to burn some calories, and increase your cardiovascular, then yeah.

Alternate sets is something I will occasionally incorporate into my workouts. I find those to be much more productive for growth. If that's the goal

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been a fan of super sets as a means of pre exhausting (leg extension immediately followed by hack squats, etc.). The issue I have run into is that in a commercial gym there is usually a 50% chance that someone will jump on the equipment that’s set for the compound movement. You either need to be flexible with it or be that a-hole who is jumping from machine to machine hogging equipment.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
They all have there place for BBers, not so much for PLers. You're excluded from my next statement HDH. I use them for the right reasons but I think most people use them for the wrong reason; time. People seem to find S.S., T.S. and G.S. are a tool to get out of the gym faster.

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
Have fun doing cardio, I’m going to keep focusing on progressive overload and getting huge.

It means I don't have to do cardio.

I see why you stated in an earlier thread that your not trying to disagree with everything I say :rolleyes:

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
Never was a fan of supersets, tri sets and now you're getting into a circuit style workout with giant sets. Probably good if you're looking to burn some calories as you stated and build some endurance. But for building size, you're not getting much past the 1st exercise. But then again, if you're in a hurry and you're looking to burn some calories, and increase your cardiovascular, then yeah.

Alternate sets is something I will occasionally incorporate into my workouts. I find those to be much more productive for growth. If that's the goal

A program like this is something you work up to. For example, most guys don't come out of the hole benching 400. You have to work intuitively for this to work.

I've got to assume you have tried this and it didn't work. Were you still putting weight on and not gaining muscle?

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
They all have there place for BBers, not so much for PLers. You're excluded from my next statement HDH. I use them for the right reasons but I think most people use them for the wrong reason; time. People seem to find S.S., T.S. and G.S. are a tool to get out of the gym faster.

Thank you for excluding me from the statement.

This allows me to spend more time in the gym. I take my time and enjoy the teardown.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A program like this is something you work up to. For example, most guys don't come out of the hole benching 400. You have to work intuitively for this to work.

I've got to assume you have tried this and it didn't work. Were you still putting weight on and not gaining muscle?

ive tried just about everything over the years of lifting. As I mentioned, supersets, tri sets and giant sets are good for certain goals such as achieving a metabolic circuit type of training effect, which allows a higher calorie burn than a traditional set up. If your goal is to burn fat, then this would benefit you. This obviously comes from back to back exercises and sets without any rest

If ones goal is primarily increased strength and size which is accomplished with progressive overload then I don't recommend that style of training. I mentioned alternate sets as an example that would be more effective then supersets for this purpose. IMO.

Reaction score
ive tried just about everything over the years of lifting. As I mentioned, supersets, tri sets and giant sets are good for certain goals such as achieving a metabolic circuit type of training effect, which allows a higher calorie burn than a traditional set up. If your goal is to burn fat, then this would benefit you. This obviously comes from back to back exercises and sets without any rest

If ones goal is primarily increased strength and size which is accomplished with progressive overload then I don't recommend that style of training. I mentioned alternate sets as an example that would be more effective then supersets for this purpose. IMO.[/

Why do you think you can't get as much progressive overload if you use this ? Imo you still can create enough progressive overload, it's just not something I would do on a daily basis.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

If ones goal is primarily increased strength and size which is accomplished with progressive overload then I don't recommend that style of training. I mentioned alternate sets as an example that would be more effective then supersets for this purpose. IMO.[/

Why do you think you can't get as much progressive overload if you use this ? Imo you still can create enough progressive overload, it's just not something I would do on a daily basis.

supersets ( Including tri sets and giant sets ) require 0 rest between exercises and sets. That lack of rest will most likely affect your available strength in the following exercise, ( or exercises ) of your superset. Also, as you go deeper into your workout your overall performance, due to accumulative fatigue will have a negative affect over the duration of your workout. Now even your 1st exercise won't produce much.

Last edited:

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
The bigger question with supersets... why not just do the two movements separate with adequate rest between sets. Knock the shit out of both with the heaviest weight and best form possible and think about the progression? If you are trying to build tissue their is absolutely no reason to hurry between sets and or movements.
The one use I see someone may have for a super set is at the end of a workout as a pump set doing a compound followed by an Iso like hack squats with leg extensions.

milos has way over popularized giant sets and people seem to not realize he is having people do them as they took 20-30iu of insulin pre workout and they are trying to drive nutrients in the muscle and store as much water and glycogen as possible. Yeah his guys put a lot of weight on doing this but everytime you also see these guys looking the same year to year when it comes show time as the extra glycogen retention disappears shorty after the insulin is dropped.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand why super setting or giant sets are assumed to be without progression. Complete nonsense. Again, not for beginners, but my leg training is 4 giant sets (working sets) and I would challenge anyone on this board to make it through that workout. Seriously. Why would you assume that would be done with any lighter weights than "normal" sets? I can tell you that doesn't happen in my program.

Also note, there are more ways to progressive overload than by increasing weights. You guys know this. Increasing reps, increasing sets, decreasing rest time, switching the order of things around, and yes, supersets, compound sets, and giant sets.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand why super setting or giant sets are assumed to be without progression. Complete nonsense. Again, not for beginners, but my leg training is 4 giant sets (working sets) and I would challenge anyone on this board to make it through that workout. Seriously. Why would you assume that would be done with any lighter weights than "normal" sets? I can tell you that doesn't happen in my program.

Also note, there are more ways to progressive overload than by increasing weights. You guys know this. Increasing reps, increasing sets, decreasing rest time, switching the order of things around, and yes, supersets, compound sets, and giant sets.

I don't assume anything in this discussion. And yes, I still stand by my opinion.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
In my experience, SS GS & TS have been vital to my growth. Everyone is different... but for me I was always able to train longer and harder even as a natty, building my way up to 2.5 to 3 hour workouts in my prime.

I would pick a few exercises to go heavy, then obliterate the targeted muscles almost nonstop. I’m not lifting 2-3 hours at a time anymore, but I feel like the overall conditioning of this type of training is still crucial in my 40s. I can outwork most 20 somethings on any given day.

I’m in it for the long haul, and balls to the wall SS/TS/GS workouts and the 10-20miles of backwoods hikes I get in every week have me feeling damn good all things considered.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I always train alone!
I'm all about getting in and out at the gym!
Usually leave sweating my ass off! While the Same people are there when I leave,
Tht were there when I got there on there phone or looking in the mirror!!
SUPERSETTING is the way I always train!

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I will implement trisets of supersets when it comes to something like arms so... biceps/ triceps or triceps/ biceps/ triceps. One of my favorites is JM Press, Standing DB Curls, Single Arm-Tate Presses performed with a cable. This always blows up my arms.

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest here and make a general statement.

If you take in more calories than you burn, you will put on weight.

If anyone has tried this and didn't put on weight, your not eating enough, plain and simple.

What I hear over the years is a lot of regurgitation / parroting. What I have never heard anyone say is I tried it but just put on fat. That would be the result if you were counting cals and reaching diet goals and it didn't work. It's a lot of people out there doing it and making it work. Sometimes when you are always around the same people, there are always the same opinions.

Also, it gives me a great look.

Reaction score

This!!!

Think some ppl focus way to much on adding weight for progressive overload but like you're saying it's not just adding weight.

New Threads