Supplements/diet

Reaction score
Depends, in part, on your particular circumstances.

I (with two cancers, chemo and radiation treatment behind me) look very positively on David Sinclair's regimen of Resveratrol, NMN, Quercetin (and I take TMG too). Sure, little research on humans (but bloody impressive on rats), and no real downside other than cost that I have seen.

I don't understand the emotional energy put into criticising David Sinclair. Don't believe his supplement regime works, then just don't follow it. Simple.

For me, I am happy to invest in a possible longevity (cancer avoiding) boost, even if it is just an investment in hope. I cut out alcohol, don't smoke, exercise with some consistency/intensity, eat pretty well ... the only play left is supplements with a tenured Harvard geneticist's recommendations.
Maybe. I couldn't tell you one way or another. What would you recommend for POSSIBLE longer life span? Not just longer lifespan but quality of life into those years?

I think possibly:
taking some key supplements
Eating a certain way
Exercise
Carrying lower body weight
Reducing stress
Being social

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score

I (with two cancers, chemo and radiation treatment behind me) look very positively on David Sinclair's regimen of Resveratrol, NMN, Quercetin (and I take TMG too). Sure, little research on humans (but bloody impressive on rats), and no real downside other than cost that I have seen.

I don't understand the emotional energy put into criticising David Sinclair. Don't believe his supplement regime works, then just don't follow it. Simple.

For me, I am happy to invest in a possible longevity (cancer avoiding) boost, even if it is just an investment in hope. I cut out alcohol, don't smoke, exercise with some consistency/intensity, eat pretty well ... the only play left is supplements with a tenured Harvard geneticist's recommendations.
His claims are bs pseudoscience that’s why.
He’s getting rich off of people with his useless supplements.
He stands on his name an appeal to authority.
He’s completely dishonest about his claims.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score

For me, I am happy to invest in a possible longevity (cancer avoiding) boost, even if it is just an investment in hope. I cut out alcohol, don't smoke, exercise with some consistency/intensity, eat pretty well ... the only play left is supplements with a tenured Harvard geneticist' recommendations.
Ive not criticized anyone. Ive listened to a fair bit of Sinclairs podcasts. I don't know if he is a "charlatan or snake oil salesman" as I have not done more own deep dive research other than listening to him, Dr Rhonda Patrick, and Peter Attia.

I do find the entire topic interesting. His protocols would fit into the list of items I jotted down that I think would help longevity. ie supplements, exercise, eating a certain way.

Question for you. Have you gone full vegan as he has? He really seems to think meat is bad and vegan is the way to go for ultimate health and longevity.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

For me, I am happy to invest in a possible longevity (cancer avoiding) boost, even if it is just an investment in hope. I cut out alcohol, don't smoke, exercise with some consistency/intensity, eat pretty well ... the only play left is supplements with a tenured Harvard geneticist' recommendations.
I have personally seen multiple cancer patients decide for forego chemo and/or surgery to pursue anti-cancer supplement regimens instead.

They do this because charlatans like Sinclair prey upon their fears and naivete.

Charlatanism is far from a victimless crime, and while Sinclair himself may not be the worst of them, he is still part of a movement that is literally killing people.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
“I don’t know why profiting off of deception and causing real world harm is such a big deal”
What the flying fuck?

GSgator

Reaction score

I’ve heard fasting can help like weeks long plus fasting.

I’m sure your have researched everything though and I’m happy to hear it’s behind you . I watched my dad battle throat cancer he is in remission but chemo kicked his ass bad. Unfortunately both my grandparents lost their battles . Chemo ate my grandpa up into an unrecognizable shell of himself. Both my grandpa and dad lost tremendous amounts of weight. Cancer came and it was quick for my grandma so she didn’t suffer too long.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
I have personally seen multiple cancer patients decide for forego chemo and/or surgery to pursue anti-cancer supplement regimens instead.

They do this because charlatans like Sinclair prey upon their fears and naivete.

Charlatanism is far from a victimless crime, and while Sinclair himself may not be the worst of them, he is still part of a movement that is literally killing people.
Do you think Sinclair would recommend for someone to not do chemo? Maybe he has said this but from what I have heard from him I think he would say "well chemo is proven to kill cancer so to live a long life you should do chemo to kill your cancer"

I could be wrong though. He is still a doctor though. Still Science minded. He isn't a hippy

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Do you think Sinclair would recommend for someone to not do chemo? Maybe he has said this but from what I have heard from him I think he would say "well chemo is proven to kill cancer so to live a long life you should do chemo to kill your cancer"

I could be wrong though. He is still a doctor though. Still Science minded. He isn't a hippy
He’s not completely science minded. He’s very much a pusher of pseudoscience.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
He’s not completely science minded. He’s very much a pusher of pseudoscience.
Okay but do you think he would tell someone with cancer to not get chemo?

Reaction score
Ive not criticized anyone. Ive listened to a fair bit of Sinclairs podcasts. I don't know if he is a "charlatan or snake oil salesman" as I have not done more own deep dive research other than listening to him, Dr Rhonda Patrick, and Peter Attia.

I do find the entire topic interesting. His protocols would fit into the list of items I jotted down that I think would help longevity. ie supplements, exercise, eating a certain way.

Question for you. Have you gone full vegan as he has? He really seems to think meat is bad and vegan is the way to go for ultimate health and longevity.
Not your posts I was alluding to re Sinclair.

No, I have not gone vegan, just improved my diet overall (much less processed food to cut sodium and additives), much less red meat with a lot more fish.

My chemo concern is with the delayed impact of platinum retention from treatment (now 20 years for me), so taking supplements that (reportedly) mimic the benefits of fasting (trigger defensive genes to tidy up dodgy cells) makes sense. Fasting is an option, but not consistent with retaining muscle mass (at least for my 63 year-old frame).

Weight training was also recommended to me by an oncologist friend: keeps muscle mass and helps with cancer recovery (with benefits lasting longer than cardio), both good for longevity.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Okay but do you think he would tell someone with cancer to not get chemo?
I honestly don’t know. I wouldn’t be surprised if it put money in his pocket.

Not saying you but I think it’s hilarious when people repeat how him being a tenured Harvard anything means he’s reputable in his claims.
It’s almost like they don’t know there are spritual, eastern and other nonsense “alternative medicine” practitioners associated with Harvard

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
So, did he run over your cat or something?
No. Something doesn’t have to personally affect me for me to care.
Perhaps in your narrow minded selfish point of view it does.
He’s a con man who stands on his Harvard credentials.
I will always call out bullshit as I come across it.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
I honestly don’t know. I wouldn’t be surprised if it put money in his pocket.

Not saying you but I think it’s hilarious when people repeat how him being a tenured Harvard anything means he’s reputable in his claims.
It’s almost like they don’t know there are spritual, eastern and other nonsense “alternative medicine” practitioners associated with Harvard
Fair enough.

I guess to just reiterate my stance. I think there are things we can do to lead better, happier, healthier, and hopefully longer lives. I look at the overall big picture. We can only do what we can do though.

Maybe taking and doing everything Sinclair says would add some time onto my life. Maybe not. I don't know. I am just trying to be healthy in general.

Exercise
Sauna
reduce stress
eat decently - cut out processed crap and don't eat like a glutton
Socialize
Walk
etc...

Reaction score
No. Something doesn’t have to personally affect me for me to care.
Perhaps in your narrow minded selfish point of view it does.
He’s a con man who stands on his Harvard credentials.
I will always call out bullshit as I come across it.
and we are all enriched by your efforts.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Fair enough.

I guess to just reiterate my stance. I think there are things we can do to lead better, happier, healthier, and hopefully longer lives. I look at the overall big picture. We can only do what we can do though.

Maybe taking and doing everything Sinclair says would add some time onto my life. Maybe not. I don't know. I am just trying to be healthy in general.

Exercise
Sauna
reduce stress
eat decently - cut out processed crap and don't eat like a glutton
Socialize
Walk
etc...

Everything you listed is on point.
It just comes down to staying healthy.

The whole longevity, biohacking movement is just a new version of the same stuff conmen have been doing/promising and profiting off of for ages.
Fear of getting old abs fear of dying

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
Everything you listed is on point.
It just comes down to staying healthy.

The whole longevity, biohacking movement is just a new version of the same stuff conmen have been doing/promising and profiting off of for ages.
Fear of getting old abs fear of dying
You tend to speak your mind and not budge or sway your opinion.

Blue Zones *discuss*
Mediterranean Diet *discuss*
Veganism *discuss*

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
You tend to speak your mind and not budge or sway your opinion.

Blue Zones *discuss*
Mediterranean Diet *discuss*
Veganism *discuss*
Depends on the subject.
I’ve changed my mind on nutrition a tad somewhat recently.

I’m not sure what blue zone is.
I like the Mediterranean diet.
I’d never go vegan but it can be healthy as long you’re supplementing correctly.
I wouldn’t recommend vegan for someone trying to build as much muscle as possible or perform in sports.

I think the best diet is the one you can stick to.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
Depends on the subject.
I’ve changed my mind on nutrition a tad somewhat recently.

I’m not sure what blue zone is.
I like the Mediterranean diet.
I’d never go vegan but it can be healthy as long you’re supplementing correctly.
I wouldn’t recommend vegan for someone trying to build as much muscle as possible or perform in sports.

I think the best diet is the one you can stick to.
Blue zones was a study that looked at (I think 7) groups of people around the world that had a high population of people in their society that lived over 100 years. The 7th day Adventists in Palo Alto, Okinawians, and don't remember the other groups.

New Threads