Training body parts 1 vs 2 times per week

Reaction score
Who has given both options a fair chance?

By "fair" I mean that one didn't grossly over-train with excessive volume or intensity with either method, such that they can accurately compare the positive and negative benefits of an optimal application of both strategies.

This question is probably best reserved for those who have trained for many years, know their body well, and can thus actually determine an "optimum" application of both methods for themselves.

Research would indicate that there's greater stimulus for protein synthesis and growth when body-parts are appropriately trained ~2x per week.

Surfpro32

OldSchool VIPBoard Vet
Reaction score

By "fair" I mean that one didn't grossly over-train with excessive volume or intensity with either method, such that they can accurately compare the positive and negative benefits of an optimal application of both strategies.

This question is probably best reserved for those who have trained for many years, know their body well, and can thus actually determine an "optimum" application of both methods for themselves.

Research would indicate that there's greater stimulus for protein synthesis and growth when body-parts are appropriately trained ~2x per week.
This is such a tough question to answer. I have played with this one and off for 20 yrs or so, now 42yrs old. For me personally, I get best results visually, if I work 4 days per week (I have also always done sports from 4yrs old to 42, wrestling, mma, skiing at a high level from racing to extreme stuff etc). This is just to explain my activity level outside the gym. When I train twice a week per group, I get stronger and thicker but have less explosiveness and gas out faster. I also seem to find more injuries. Some freaks can always work the same groups twice per week and do really well with it. Other freaks spend limited time in the gym and grow like crazy. Some pros spend less time than I do in the gym.
Personally, when I know I have a period of time coming up where I'm going to have wasted time or eat more shit like during holidays or summer vacations etc, I train 6 days 2x/group for 8 weeks or so than use the times such ad above, to relax, eat like a tank, don't lift, just recover. This is when I get strongest, after my lazy week or so.
Genetics play a HUGE role here as does the intensity of workouts. Like I can't go through set after set of heavy bench twice a week or my fucking arms will fall off buy if I have a heavy incline session followed by a volume flat chest session and vice versa the following week, that's my sweet spot.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
I ran the Stronglifts 5x5 program from 2015 through 2017, and what really sucked was the squatting every other day. Once I get to the point where I can squat 315, I had a hard time busting through that plateau on the 5x5 program, where one literally squats every time they are in the gym.

At that point, I switched to a workout where I lifted 4x per week. I did shoulders/traps on day 1, legs on day two, took a break from lifting where I usually did cardio for a day or two, then it was chest on lifting day 3, and back on lifting day 4. Hitting each body part once per week while doing cardio 3x per week allowed me to bust through the plateaus that I encountered on the 5x5 program.

Since returning to the gym this week after two bouts of COVID, I'm moving more towards a hypertrophy style workout where I plan to add weight every week and keep the reps higher. This week was back on lifting day 1, shoulders/traps/triceps on day 2, cardio break for a rest day, legs on day 3, and chest/biceps planned for day 4. I've been down since November and the thing that appears to be the weakest are the stabilizing muscles. I've started over before, and have no issues with starting over again now that I am physically able to.

RiR0

Mr Hyde
Reaction score
Actually research indicates that it doesn’t matter as long as volume and effort are the same whether split up and done 2-3x a week or done once weekly.
I don’t agree with necessarily as I’ve found higher frequency is better. I’m a believer in the repeated bout effect. You can see this with occupational hypertrophy.

Reaction score
I am 62 and have accumulated my share of chronic niggles. With age, I find that frequency over volume works best (ie I can sustain workouts over weeks without injury/overload). I aim for intensity (load and proximity to failure) but autoregulate that on the day (give it what I have). Hard to stop adding sets and saving it for the next workout at first, but week on week, the only way to sustain the frequency.

So, out of once or twice/week per muscle, I would choose twice. Currently I do three times per week over 4 workouts (but mix rep ranges from 6-12 up to 30 ... so not doing heavy squats three times per week etc).

Reaction score

are you talking natural or on test and other gear?

honestly on test and other gear muscle protein synthesis as well as nutrient partitioning are so high tht 2x per week focus on all parts should be a minimum IMHO. open to hear what others say but as a pharmacist who is very experienced with gear, i can say if you are on 250 test 350 tren train everything twice per week and just eat steak, its impossible not to grow and keep lean

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
are you talking natural or on test and other gear?

honestly on test and other gear muscle protein synthesis as well as nutrient partitioning are so high tht 2x per week focus on all parts should be a minimum IMHO. open to hear what others say but as a pharmacist who is very experienced with gear, i can say if you are on 250 test 350 tren train everything twice per week and just eat steak, its impossible not to grow and keep lean
your gonna eat steak6- 7 times a day everyday?

Reaction score
your gonna eat steak6- 7 times a day everyday?
muscle protein synthesis is as well as anticatobolism are GREAYLY enhances on testosterone levels of 900ng/dl imagine adding in drugs like 19NORs that greatly enhance IGF levels. steak twice per day should be fine. im more of a meat eater as u own 2 pharmacies in korea and eat korean bbq most nights per week

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
muscle protein synthesis is as well as anticatobolism are GREAYLY enhances on testosterone levels of 900ng/dl imagine adding in drugs like 19NORs that greatly enhance IGF levels. steak twice per day should be fine. im more of a meat eater as u own 2 pharmacies in korea and eat korean bbq most nights per week
Fun fact, while Tren upregulates IGF receptors (it doesn't increase IGF itself), the stress it places on the liver will have you producing less IGF than if you weren't running it at all.

There are case studies on this, and I have seen it in my own bloodwork as well.

It's like a tease.. Tren makes IGF receptors more sensitive, but then impacts how much IGF you produce.

Obviously, methylated orals will also impact IGF levels.

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
Fun fact, while Tren upregulates IGF receptors (it doesn't increase IGF itself), the stress it places on the liver will have you producing less IGF than if you weren't running it at all.

There are case studies on this, and I have seen it in my own bloodwork as well.

It's like a tease.. Tren makes IGF receptors more sensitive, but then impacts how much IGF you produce.

Obviously, methylated orals will also impact IGF levels.

Just reminded me to do more research on this.
Before we spoke a few months ago, I was under the impression that Tren not only upregulated IGF1 receptor activity, but also increased IGF1
Was thinking it was perfect for GH and Slin cycling in low doses

For now Tren will remain my Anti metabolism compound of choice and Test will remain my Anabolic growth compound of choice.

But it would be interesting to delve further into it

Badleroybrown

Reaction score
Over the last 20 years I have trained anywhere from 4 days a week to 7. I never had a problem with over training. I have trained pl style with multiple days a week of squats and bench days. It never bothered me.
Now as I fast forward ti 46 and rounding the corner to 47, I feel all those years… I trained 4 days a week now. I train a body part 2 x a week.. the only difference is I train it smarter.
On chest day I will do 2-3 sets of light incline shoulder presses. The same goes for shoulders, I will maybe do a few sets of a light flat bench or db. Some. movement to incorporate chest.

The only day I have a hard time is back.. because I just train back & Bi’s. I have a heavy back session and maybe 2-3 sets of one bi exercise. Because I train Bi’s and tri’s by themselves.

This is what works for me. I am not suggesting to anyone else. Just trying to give a little info from a different perspective..

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Just reminded me to do more research on this.
Before we spoke a few months ago, I was under the impression that Tren not only upregulated IGF1 receptor activity, but also increased IGF1
Was thinking it was perfect for GH and Slin cycling in low doses

For now Tren will remain my Anti metabolism compound of choice and Test will remain my Anabolic growth compound of choice.

But it would be interesting to delve further into it
You won't find much beyond bovine and rat studies, and case studies on humans.

The bovine/rat studies show an increase in IGF. Where as human case studies show the opposite. Full transparency, the human case studies are far and few in between... which makes sense given that tren was rarely prescribed even when it was legal.

RiR0

Mr Hyde
Reaction score
You won't find much beyond bovine and rat studies, and case studies on humans.

The bovine/rat studies show an increase in IGF. Where as human case studies show the opposite. Full transparency, the human case studies are far and few in between... which makes sense given that tren was rarely prescribed even when it was legal.
I’ve looked for years and honestly have never found anything. Have you ever came across any old parabolan studies?

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I’ve looked for years and honestly have never found anything. Have you ever came across any old parabolan studies?
I wish... the only case studies I found are from bodybuilder's who presented to the clinic/hospital with medical problems in recent years, typically cholestasis or similar liver damage.

They refer to it as parabolan, but we know it's not real parabolan given that the studies are from 2006... at least not what you and I think of when we say parabolan

For something that was legal at one point of time, there are surprisingly very few clinical trials or studies available on trenbolone. Makes me wonder how the hell it got approved for human use in the first place.

New Threads