UFC 272: Masvidal vs Covington - Who Ye Got?

UFC 272: Masvidal vs Covington - Who Ye Got?

• Street Jesus FTW

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Chaos Arise

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Volodymyr Zelenskyy da real MVP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Both fighters coming off losses to Kamaru Usman (he's beaten them each - twice).

Covington's weight cut looked a bit better than Jorge's and he'll still have the grappling advantage IMO but Jorge looked decent on the scale as well (his cut is more severe than Covington's).

On the feet, both fighters have something to prove. Jorge as the KO artist whose power has now been called into question by Usman, and Covington's inability to finish a fight consistently & this could become a war of attrition.

I'm going with Covington by JD.

Who ye got?

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Jorge has the edge, by a long shot, in striking. Colby's striking is just a nate Diaz type of "keep your hands moving no matter what" thing. Accumulate damage and stay in your face and wear you down.

No way Jorge wants this to end up a wrestling match. It's quicksand for him against Colby. Colby's cardio is peak...and endless tank of perpetual motion.

It's a must win fight for both, so I believe it'll hit the mat at every opportunity from the second on. In that case, I believe Colby wins by decision.

But there's always that puncher's chance.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Colby’s gonna try to pin him up against the cage from there take down and grind him down . He’s gonna do that for 3 rounds none stop until masvidal gets winded . I don’t see any subs or real ground and pound from colby just a grinding 5 rounds..Or masvidal kos his ass

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Colby’s gonna try to pin him up against the cage from there take down and grind him down . He’s gonna do that for 3 rounds none stop until masvidal gets winded . I don’t see any subs or real ground and pound from colby just a grinding 5 rounds..Or masvidal kos his ass
Pretty much this.

Masvidal is getting old and borderline-washed, while Colby appears to be at his athletic peak.

That said, Street Jesus is an incredibly clever fighter with a TON of killer instinct. I wouldn't be shocked if he hurt Colby at some point in the first few rounds.

Reaction score
Jorge’s tdd needs to be on point for this one. At the same time, he shouldn’t lower his hands to anticipate any takedown attempts

Reaction score
Pretty much this.

Masvidal is getting old and borderline-washed, while Colby appears to be at his athletic peak.

That said, Street Jesus is an incredibly clever fighter with a TON of killer instinct. I wouldn't be shocked if he hurt Colby at some point in the first few rounds.
Yeah, after watching the press conference i have a feeling Jorge will get too emotional in this fight. Like you said, Colby is reaching his peak and doesn’t seemed too phased by their past history

Reaction score
Fight went as expected. I gotta hand it to Colby for the strong work ethic and lack of weight cutting. I definitely want to see him against Khazmat rather than Dustin

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Fight went as expected. I gotta hand it to Colby for the strong work ethic and lack of weight cutting. I definitely want to see him against Khazmat rather than Dustin

I think that's what poirier wants to see too lol. No way he wants that grind.

The Colby fight may not have looked like much, but from a wrestling standpoint, Colby took Jorge's soul.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Colby v Khazmat would be a great fight. Dustin's the bigger name obviously and I suspect he'd come up to fight Covington if the price was right, Khaz though makes more sense in terms of aligning the division & no one wants another rematch with Usman just yet.

Reaction score
Colby v Khazmat would be a great fight. Dustin's the bigger name obviously and I suspect he'd come up to fight Covington if the price was right, Khaz though makes more sense in terms of aligning the division & no one wants another rematch with Usman just yet.
Yeah and Dustin, although he might weigh more than Colby I don’t think he’d be the stronger of the two when grappling. I see it being another one sided fight. Khazmat on the other hand is also a dominant wrestler with great cardio. I’d rather see how Colby handles a bigger wrestler who won’t be afraid to grapple with him like Usman.

Usman had a lot of respect for Colby and refrained from his usual wrestling tactics.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah and Dustin, although he might weigh more than Colby I don’t think he’d be the stronger of the two when grappling. I see it being another one sided fight. Khazmat on the other hand is also a dominant wrestler with great cardio. I’d rather see how Colby handles a bigger wrestler who won’t be afraid to grapple with him like Usman.

Usman had a lot of respect for Colby and refrained from his usual wrestling tactics.

Dustin is a former 155er moving to 170. Colby would ride him into a grease spot on the canvas. It'd be awful.

Poirier and Covington's war of words is just "Conor McGregor marketing strategy" gone really wrong....for Dustin.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have very little interest in seeing Colby grind DP into a fine dust.

Khamzat would be a fun matchup, as would Gilbert Burns. Hell, if Shaun Brady keeps winning, that'd also be a fun match to make.

Hughinn

Reaction score
Any of us AAS users going to pretend Usman isn't juicing?

Holy shit that guy has to be pumping more juice than Tropicana.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score

You think this looks juiced to the gills?
He’s a big guy but literally nothing about him screams juiced

Attachments

• 3A267103-533A-416A-A71B-AAE03AA5D757.jpeg
    3A267103-533A-416A-A71B-AAE03AA5D757.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 6

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

He's a professional athlete.

Ergo, it's a safe bet.

Hughinn

Reaction score
He's a professional athlete.

Ergo, it's a safe bet.

Yeah he ain't alone. You got a point there.

But I'd like to know what kind of cocktail that guy is using. It's definitely not typical test/mast/primo or anything.

Hughinn

Reaction score
You think this looks juiced to the gills?
He’s a big guy but literally nothing about him screams juiced

Shit man.

That guy is huge and ripped AF for being 6-1 and 170lbs.

No way that's natty.

I'm not saying by bodybuilder standards. But yes he looks juiced up hard to me.

New Threads