Unarmed 14 year old shot in head homeowner claims teen was attempting break in

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Unarmed 14 year old shot in head homeowner claims teen was attempting break in

A 14-year-old boy remained in critical condition Friday after being shot in the head by a homeowner who said he thought the teen was trying to break into his house. But police said the teen was unarmed and did not pose an "imminent threat" when he was shot and have charged the owner with attempted second-degree murder.

The family of Marshall Coulter said the teenager could move only the right side of his body a little, but not the left. Doctors told the family that if Coulter survives, he would likely be severely brain damaged.

Coulter's family acknowledged the teen's history of burglary arrests but said he had never used a gun.

Police said that Coulter did not pose a threat to the homeowner, Merritt Landry, who works as a building inspector for the Historic District Landmarks Commission.

Police said the teen was near Landry's vehicle when he was shot about 2 a.m. Landry's friends said the vehicle was in the driveway behind a gate just a few feet from the house's backdoor.

According to an NOPD arrest warrant, Landry shot Coulter from 30 feet away, evidenced by the distance between the blood found on the ground and the single bullet casing outside Landry's house in the 700 block of Mandeville Street.

Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard, near his vehicle. As he grew closer, he said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, the warrant states.

NOPD Detective Nicholas Williams spoke with an unidentified witness who gave an account that differed from Landry's, though the detective did not specify how. Williams wrote in the warrant that Coulter was not trying to enter Landry's house and did not pose an "imminent threat" to Landry.

Judge Franz Zibilich set Landry's bond at $100,000. Landry posted a property bond and was released late Friday.

Landry's attorneys, Michael Kennedy and Miles Swanson, issued a statement after the arrest saying, "This incident is terrible, and Mr. Landry feels terrible about how things have occurred. Nevertheless, we remain convinced our client has done nothing wrong, and we are sure -- as facts come to light -- it'll become clear that Mr. Landry will be fully exonerated of any wrongdoing."

A spokesman for the City of New Orleans said Landry has been placed on emergency suspension without pay, pending the outcome of the criminal investigation.

Meanwhile, Coulter's mother would not leave his hospital bedside. His grandmother and older brother sat outside the family's home on Elysian Fields Avenue on Friday afternoon, grieving and upset.

Coulter is the seventh of eight children. Coulter's 23-year-old brother, David Coulter, said he had largely raised the children after their father died three years ago of stomach cancer. David said he and his mother did his best to keep Marshall out of trouble.

Marshall Coulter, who had been on medication for attention deficit hyperactive disorder, was awaiting trial for "stealing stuff," his brother said.

"He would steal -- he was a professional thief, sure," David Coulter said. "But he would never pick up a gun, not in a million years. He was too scared to aim a gun at the grass, let alone aim it at a person. No way. Before he'll ever pick up a gun, he'll be your friend first.

"He's still a little boy," the brother said. "Who pulls a trigger on a 14-year-old? What if it was your little brother or your sister? How would you feel?"

But Landry's neighbors and friends said they could understand where Landry's actions. They said that Landry, who has a pregnant wife and baby daughter, believed the teen was trying to break into his house.

"Merritt is a friend. I can't blame him one bit," Charles Hazouri said. "He's got a family. You've got to protect your own."

Hazouri, who owns property near Landry's house, said his surveillance cameras captured two juveniles riding BMX bikes up and down Mandeville and Dauphine streets around 1:44 a.m. One of the teens was wearing a blue tank top with white stripes; the other was wearing a light-colored T-shirt, Hazouri said.

Earlier in the evening, a different neighbor said the teen in the blue tank top had been biking around the area around 8 p.m. and the neighbor believed he was looking at different houses.

"I thought about calling the cops, but the last thing I want to do is racially profile a little kid who's just biking," said the neighbor, who spoke on condition of anonymity. The neighbor and Landry are white; the two teens are black.

Hazouri said his video, which he gave to NOPD detectives, shows the two teens talking in the middle of Mandeville Street outside of Landry's house. The video then shows the teen in the light-colored T-shirt walk his bike across Mandeville toward Landry's house. Then, the teen walks back out to the middle of the road before climbing over Landry's fence, Hazouri said. The other teen in the tank top stayed on the other side of Mandeville Street, Hazouri said.

Landry's large dog started barking, which alerted Landry to the teen being inside his yard, according to Landry's friends.

Hazouri acknowledged the potential for his friend to be in legal trouble, nodding to the recent controversial acquittal of George Zimmerman in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Florida. Zimmerman's trial brought issues of self-defense shootings, racial profiling and Castle or "Stand Your Ground" laws to the national spotlight.

"Unfortunately, I feel bad about it because I hope it doesn't turn out to be another Florida deal," Hazouri said. "I'm a permit holder and a gun owner myself. You've got to stand up for your family."

The comparisons that many have drawn with the Trayvon Martin case disturbed Coulter's brother. "That's a different story," he said. "That was Trayvon, this is Marshall. This is a whole different world. This is my little brother's life on the line - I don't care about anything else."

David Coulter said he hoped Landry would be imprisoned for the shooting. "I want to see a prosecution, not somebody who gets out after a couple of years," he said. "I want to see the system do its job for once."

Marshall Coulter was a student at Renew School Network in the 2012-2013 school year, but his mother chose to send him to another school for the 2013-2014 school year because she wanted to separate him from his younger brother, according to the schools' chief executive officer, Gary Robichaux.

Renew School started last Monday, and Marshall Coulter's little brother has been in school all week. "It's just a really sad situation," Robichaux said between tears, "and we just wish he had been in school this week."

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Re: Unarmed 14 year old shot in head homeowner claims teen was attempting break in

I'm glad I live in Texas. You shoot a mother fucker that's breaking in to your car on your property and you get fist bumps in church. Poor bastard is getting cruisified for shooting a known criminal that was lurking in the shadows at 2:00 am.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Re: Unarmed 14 year old shot in head homeowner claims teen was attempting break in

Damn crazy man, people need to use better judgment when armed, that kid didnt do shit, fked up

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Im just thinkin a little clear now, I can c y he did what he did .

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

If the shooter's version of the story is truth (and only he & the alleged per will ever know) then I believe he was justified.

Late night, intruder on the property, made a move to produce a weapon - not to mention pregnant wife inside. I'd have shot him as well. If the kid had shown his hands or ran, I'd not have engaged but would have detained him and called 911. Yes, he's a kid but in the middle of the night I have to believe it was difficult if not impossible for the shooter to have tagged the perp with an approximate age (and does age really matter in this case? would it have been justifiable if the kid HAD pulled a gun? Or do I have to let him take a few shots at me before I engage because, you know, he's just a kid...)

Lesson learned: don't break into people's homes and you're less likely to get shot.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Always aim for the legs man

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

A little excessive, no?

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Criminals have more rights, this shit is sickening.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Why is a 14 year old out on the streets at 2am? Blame goes to the parents. if I see anybody, teenager or adult on my property at 2am. I'm gonna get very freaking nervous and my 1st instinct is to protect my wife and kids.

chicken wing

SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I would have and will do ybe same thing. If I feel a threat to my family I will shoot to kill. Bottom line. You can always come out of prison but you can never come out of your grave. I have kids to worry about. You come to my house you better be ready for war.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Ive broken into peoples homes hundreds of times before...as a bondsman I was the one that snatched your ass out of bed at night for missing OUR court date, I did this for the better part of 17 yrs in TX and OK. I also owned and opperated a wrecker svc that did repossessions. That said I made my peace with taking a bullet a long time ago. You have to in that neck of the woods. This boy should have too. RIP thief and God bless the poor bastard that shot him.

Ive said this so many times on here before, If your packing you'd better be careful in the decisions you make. Make no mistake the police are there to arrest you. The DA is there to make a name for himself. Ive bonded out several people that thought they were protecting their faimlies and went to jail anyway a couple went to prison.

BTW I dont disagree with Jada or Stoli on the excessiveness of the homeowner, but any criminal or person like myself knows the rules of the game and at some point youd better get ready to see some iron if/when your creeping around at night regardless of your buisness.

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Agree 100% BGH!!!

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I say he got what he deserves.......inside someone else property with no reason for being there........a risk you should have thought about before trying to take whats mine.

Bigwhite

Banned
Reaction score

In Ohio we have the castle law which means you come into my house or car and I feel threatened, I can shoot you. Armed or not....

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Kids making stupid choices, Yet they're kids.
Where are the parents?
Excessive? Maybe...
Yet at 2am woke out of bed I know for a fact your adrenaline is rushing, You've no idea who or what is outside lurking through your yard.
.....As I said earlier and the dogs may get whatever is left of ya....

Bigwhite

Banned
Reaction score

Kids making stupid choices, Yet they're kids.
Where are the parents?
Excessive? Maybe...
Yet at 2am woke out of bed I know for a fact your adrenaline is rushing, You've no idea who or what is outside lurking through your yard.
.....As I said earlier and the dogs may get whatever is left of ya....

Can't always blame the parents. I have one kid that is the perfect kid. Sports, good grades, does what he is supposed to do. The other boy is bad. Started at 14. If I punished him, he would take off. Ran away 4 times for weeks at a time. Spend 6 months in juvy. Put him through all the drug programs where he just met more fucked up friends. He is doing better but in 12 months he is 18. Can't wait...lol

graniteman

SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Fuckin A Good Shot! 1 shot 1 kill one less asshole to cause more lives pain and taxpayers money to house.

G

Georgia

One less liberal voter