What supplements are need to body build ?

4acesbro21

Elite
Reaction score
So basically i i use creatine and protein and always been happy with that and happy with gainz and progress ,, but recently som1 has be telling me that amino acid , glutamine , an bcaas are important to but ive always seen them as just another supplement scam , do any of you have some solid proof of what they do ?

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
none are 'needed' if your diet is on point
that said, protien and creatine are beneficial and i like to use a good multi vitamin and digestive enzyme. amino acids or bcaa (same thing really) and glutamine are also beneficial but it all comes down to how much you want to spend. will any of these supplements make a noticeable difference? who knows.

most other supplements (test boosters and gh boosters especially) are bullshit though so id avoid them

Redrum1327

Elite
Reaction score
alot of the protein shakes and weight gainers have the aminos or bcaas (w.e. you like to call em) in them if you drink them , i do put 10 gs. of glutamine in my post workout shake that i drink like 25 mins after i drink my 10gs of creatine and 45-50 mins before i eat my post workout meal

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
So basically i i use creatine and protein and always been happy with that and happy with gainz and progress ,, but recently som1 has be telling me that amino acid , glutamine , an bcaas are important to but ive always seen them as just another supplement scam , do any of you have some solid proof of what they do ?

No supplements are needed. Period. They can be beneficial if you're lacking in certain areas but don't mistake that for a requirement to use them.

Amino acids are what proteins get broken down into and stored in the muscle. Protein gets digested in the stomach and small intestine by special enzymes that hydrolyze the protein into amino acids. Glutamine is an amino acid. BCAA, branched chain amino acids, are another class of amino acids. If you're getting enough protein from food and/or whey protein, there is no benefit to supplementing with glutamine or BCAAs since complete protein sources already have these.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There is no benefit to bcaa anyway. If you are going to supplement with amino get essential aminos or EAA. Glutamine is garbage. Does absolutly nothing.

Keep the focus on the food.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
There is no benefit to bcaa anyway. If you are going to supplement with amino get essential aminos or EAA. Glutamine is garbage. Does absolutly nothing.

Tha fukk are you talking about Pillar. Everyone knows, EVERYONE, that BCAAs are better than the joos

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
A little off the subject but I feel a multivitamin is always overlooked.

Reaction score
Because of money situations I usually have a bottle of whey on hand because meat at every meal for protein can get expensive fast. As for creatine I quit using it a while back, not because it didn't help, but because if I was in between bottles I would lose 3-4lbs. within a few days and it pissed me off when id step on the scale. BCAA's and glutamine not to sure about but I think I have to agree with the other comments, they would be helpful if your lacking those things in your nutrition.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Because of money situations I usually have a bottle of whey on hand because meat at every meal for protein can get expensive fast. As for creatine I quit using it a while back, not because it didn't help, but because if I was in between bottles I would lose 3-4lbs. within a few days and it pissed me off when id step on the scale. BCAA's and glutamine not to sure about but I think I have to agree with the other comments, they would be helpful if your lacking those things in your nutrition.

I can get chicken thighs for like a buck a pound. Those are a great option.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Context is also important here - supplements come closer to the "need" category when dieting depending on the length/severity of the diet.

deadlift666

Elite
Reaction score
Same with all the excess protein guys take. (Not looking to start a protein war :) )
What is the best protein powder, anyway? Always wondered and can't find any info on it.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Same with all the excess protein guys take. (Not looking to start a protein war :) )

Excess protein doesn't get pissed out though Snake. It's either used to replace lost amino acids from muscle protein breakdown, used to build new muscle tissue during muscle protein synthesis, or it's converted to glucose and used as an energy source via gluconeogenesis. This whole dogma of excess protein being pissed out is a myth.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
What is the best protein powder, anyway? Always wondered and can't find any info on it.

One that has accurate label claims. Some powders have been taken off the market bc of nitrogen spiking and shit like that. The protein content is lower than advertised but they include some compounds that spike nitrogen which makes it look like a higher protein content on basic tests.

deadlift666

Elite
Reaction score
One that has accurate label claims. Some powders have been taken off the market bc of nitrogen spiking and shit like that. The protein content is lower than advertised but they include some compounds that spike nitrogen which makes it look like a higher protein content on basic tests.
I was joking. But thank you for the response.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Excess protein doesn't get pissed out though Snake. It's either used to replace lost amino acids from muscle protein breakdown, used to build new muscle tissue during muscle protein synthesis, or it's converted to glucose and used as an energy source via gluconeogenesis. This whole dogma of excess protein being pissed out is a myth.
Your body isn't going to use protein for energy until you are seriously depleted. From what I see in most people's training that isn't happening. I do think guys go overboard.

Nobody weighing 200lbs NEEDS 400 grams of proteenz

Paolos

Reaction score
Context is also important here - supplements come closer to the "need" category when dieting depending on the length/severity of the diet.

I vote for MrRippedZilla for having the best AVI's on the site!....Almost choked on my aminos and liver tabs
tying to read his reply

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score

An old school bodybuilder use to always say BCAA's are good real good ONLY when at extreme contest cut prep but other then that a waste of money.

I can see this as how they do really go through such an extreme cut.

Just some food for thought.

New Threads