What Up

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is DJ I am 22 years old. I weigh 155lb. My height is 5'11. Been skinny my whole life never got into lifting and yesterday I decided to change that.

Rickt

Elite
Reaction score
As guns and roses say. Yesterday means nothing to me.
Make this your life. Set goals and reach them.
I too was skinny at 22. I weighed 150 pounds at 5 foot 8.
I set goals I ate food I trained hard. I ate food. I trained hard. I got to 200 pounds at age 35.
Then I ate more food trained harder and I'm now 56 and 248 pounds.
There is no secret. No need for drugs. Just eat more than yesterday and train harder tomorrow than you did today.
Hi. Welcome.

Reader591

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Curious to hear your game plan!

Reaction score
what did you come up with?

how do you plan to train moving forward?
Yea so I've been doing some research on protein and found out you need a gram per lb but I've noticed theirs mixed feelings between plant based protein, whey protein, and getting your protein from foods. Ive also heard mixed opinions about beginners doing strength training 5x5 or hypertrophy 12x5. Also have been learning about recovery and why stretching is so important for the muscle. If you could give me your thoughts I would appreciate it.

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
getting your protein from foods.
get as much of your daily protein goal from food as possible. There are nutrients in food that are harder to come by in other sources.

Use powder to supplement as necessary.

plant based protein
can't speak to this. I eat flesh.

beginners doing strength training
start with this beginner routine

Phraks-Greyskull-LP.jpg

the program is 3x per week. you'll recover fine. M-W-F

Reader591

Reaction score
Yea so I've been doing some research on protein and found out you need a gram per lb but I've noticed theirs mixed feelings between plant based protein, whey protein, and getting your protein from foods. Ive also heard mixed opinions about beginners doing strength training 5x5 or hypertrophy 12x5. Also have been learning about recovery and why stretching is so important for the muscle. If you could give me your thoughts I would appreciate it.
My .02 cents is try to eat your protein as much as you can from Whole Foods, mostly meats. Use protein powders for what they are, a supplement, to supplement your protein if it’s low. I’d do a basic 5x5 program. You can even do a 3x5 maybe even more ideally. Three sets of 5 reps. But, truth be told, whatever you choose just stick to it and progress it week after week. Most importantly, don’t be dumb and add more than you can actually do though and sacrifice form. Starting out, treat it like practiceing a movement like you would any sport. You don’t pitch 96 mph fast balls the first time you pick up a baseball.

As far as what lifts, stick to mostly compound lifts like squat, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, rows. If you want you can add in some accessory work but keep it simple for now. Learning those lifts is enough.

Don’t over commit. Don’t go to the gym weight lifting 7 days a week out the gate. Pick something you realistically see yourself doing for life. That for me is 3 days a week. Been doing it for years. Perfect split? No. But consistency is more important and trumps the “perfect split”. You being new will respond just fine to even 2 days a week. I’d argue you’d get something out of even one day a week, being untrained. But eventually you really do need more than that. Just using extremes to make my point.

If you’re looking to add muscle, make sure you’re also eating enough calories too. Protein alone won’t do the magic, you need both protein and calories to grow.

Just stick with boring basic stuff, and you’ll get the most out of it. Don’t worry too much about so and so splitting hairs and trying to over complicate it. In time you can become more nuanced but for a good while, just master the basics.

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is DJ I am 22 years old. I weigh 155lb. My height is 5'11. Been skinny my whole life never got into lifting and yesterday I decided to change that.
That's awesome, DJ! It's never too late to start a new fitness journey

Reaction score
Hey @DJ229 welcome to UGBB.

It looks like @YOURMUSCLESHOP wants to sell you some drugs! Wow right!

Here’s a little tip. Good products sell themselves and don’t need a sales rep to hump your leg when you walk in. Fell free to tell him to fuck off out of your thread. It’ll make you feel good.

New Threads