What was the most transformative advice that significantly changed your physique?

Reaction score
Out of all of the stuff I read and hear, sometimes some simple advice sticks out to me and I give it a try. Here are the two that had the biggest physique impact for me so far. I don't even remember who said it or where I heard it. I know one was a random post on the forums.

1. If you can't look good on gear with a high protein, low carb and low fat diet, your training sucks.

I knew my training didn't suck, and for other health reasons, I tried this macro split and saw instant improvement in bf% that transformed my physique in months time. I realize everyone's dietary needs vary. This is just what worked for me. It was a "wow holy shit" experience. I was at a point near giving up before trying it. I had been "dirty bulking" for years. Obviously some caloric deficit was involved, BUT the macro split with the higher than usual protein left me not feeling hungry and apparently it was enough carbs to give me energy and still make some gains.

2. Re: gear. Find whatever compound works the best for you with the least side effects and run the fuck out of it.

Definitely cringeworthy to give this advice to newbs. But as someone who has tried a few things now, I've seen good results with this philosophy. I still try new things every now and then, but as soon as it becomes a not so great experience, I chuck it out the window.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Three things, actually, all from different people:

1) Train to failure and ignore the scrawny dudes telling you that it will hurt you. They’re scrawny for a reason. Leaving reps in the tank is leaving gains in the tank.

2) Track your food. You are not eating as much as you think you are.

3) Avoid gimmicks. There are no magical training programs.

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
this is way too much volume. Instead of stopping at an arbitrary rep of 10 or 12 for 4 sets, take 2 sets straight to failure. Volume doesn’t drive hypertrophy, mechanical tension does. Taking sets to failure maximizes that.--BBBG

The most growth and fastest strength I got was from the fullbody every day-RiR0

training to atleast positive failure is more important than adding weight.-RiR0

Reader591

Reaction score
1) Train to failure and ignore the scrawny dudes telling you that it will hurt you. They’re scrawny for a reason. Leaving reps in the tank is leaving gains in the tank.
I agree mostly but struggle to manage fatigue over the long haul. It doesn’t take long of failure training and I get stiff, achy, and start losing strength.

I tend to only do one or two working sets typically, and overall it works great but like I said, I hit walls kinda quick.

How do you combat this? I’m trying to find the balance a little better than in the past. It seems the stronger I get, the worse this is a problem.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
I agree mostly but struggle to manage fatigue over the long haul. It doesn’t take long of failure training and I get stiff, achy, and start losing strength.

I tend to only do one or two working sets typically, and overall it works great but like I said, I hit walls kinda quick.

How do you combat this? I’m trying to find the balance a little better than in the past. It seems the stronger I get, the worse this is a problem.
My method is to reduce frequency slightly and deload when I start to feel beat up. I’ve also dropped movements that accumulate a lot of fatigue from my programming to compensate.

Reader591

Reaction score
My method is to reduce frequency slightly and deload when I start to feel beat up
Generally how long is it before you notice this?
I’ve also dropped movements that accumulate a lot of fatigue from my programming to compensate.
For me that would be mostly squats and deadlifts. Do you reduce the amount of times you do these (for me only once a week normally) or not do them at all? If not, what are some examples of lifts that fatigue you out?

Obviously I could do curls all day everyday no problem. Some compound lifts are what do me in.

Reaction score

For me that would be mostly squats and deadlifts. Do you reduce the amount of times you do these (for me only once a week normally) or not do them at all? If not, what are some examples of lifts that fatigue you out?

Obviously I could do curls all day everyday no problem. Some compound lifts are what do me in.
Are you doing squats and deads to absolute failure or task failure (failure while maintaining good form).

Progressive overload is adding weight or adding just one rep from the last time. So go for failure in the 6-12 rep range. Shoot for adding a rep each session and when you get to 12 reps add 5 pounds and start again.

Recovery is measured in performance not soreness so if you are “stuck” or failing to increase reps at once a week, try once every 8 or 9 days.

Reaction score
Building and maintaining my aerobic fitness. I'm not saying bodybuilders need to become marathon runners, but if you are winded from a few flights of stairs there is precisely a zero percent chance you have the underlying physiological environment to be growing at an optimal rate.

Reaction score
I may of and have been doing this shit for way to long and god knows I don’t know everything..

But doesn’t picking heavy shit up over and over grow muscle..
Doesn’t diet dictate getting big or leaning out..
Why doesn’t everyone just train and fucking stop worrying about all the fancy bullshit..
I don’t know maybe I’m fat..

I really wish there was a picture thread. Well I think there was at one time.. where people post there pics… but very very few actually posted on it.

That way we could see what people who think they are experts in this world and show really what kind body shape they have..

It would keeps people honest.

Just saying.. .

Reaction score
Building and maintaining my aerobic fitness. I'm not saying bodybuilders need to become marathon runners, but if you are winded from a few flights of stairs there is precisely a zero percent chance you have the underlying physiological environment to be growing at an optimal rate.
Don't you have a corner to go stand on and peddle fake growth hormone to newbs on? gtfo

Reaction score
Don't you have a corner to go stand on and peddle fake growth hormone to newbs on? gtfo
Hey man, even 20 minutes a day at 120bpm is a good start. Let's get that RHR and BP down.

The better your autonomics, the more gear you can tolerate blasting without feeling like shit. So that's an easy sell.

Reader591

Reaction score
task failure (failure while maintaining good form).
Task failure, if a leave a couple reps in the tank I normally do ok but still hit a wall eventually, which I expect. I’ve just noticed recovery getting worse the past year or so.
Progressive overload is adding weight or adding just one rep from the last time. So go for failure in the 6-12 rep range. Shoot for adding a rep each session and when you get to 12 reps add 5 pounds and start again.
thats exactly what I do and have for a long time. It just still wipes me pretty quick now, seems to be in only 3-4 weeks. A set of 405x12 squats leaves me fatigued badly pretty quickly just in my day to day. Not sore at all.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
It depends how my sleep etc. is going, but I typically take a week off every two months or so.

I don’t really do squats or deadlifts. I don’t do powerlifting, so there’s really not much point. I’ll do them here and there just so I don’t completely suck at them, but maybe once a month?

My most fatiguing lifts that I currently program are probably bent over rows and hack squats, but those accumulate fatigue at a much lower rate than DL or squats (for me at least).

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
It depends how my sleep etc. is going, but I typically take a week off every two months or so.

I don’t really do squats or deadlifts. I don’t do powerlifting, so there’s really not much point. I’ll do them here and there just so I don’t completely suck at them, but maybe once a month?

My most fatiguing lifts that I currently program are probably bent over rows and hack squats, but those accumulate fatigue at a much lower rate than DL or squats (for me at least).
Deadlift is the most taxing and is why most only go heavy once a month, add contrast, especially bands, you're taxed as fuck!

New Threads