What's wrong with this picture?

Thebiggestdumbass

Captain Dumbass 🦸
Reaction score
The minute you open that pack of syringe filters their all contaminated?

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
Looks like you bought from Amazon and they used the cheapest supplier. As far as the filters, I have bought straight from Titan in the past in bulk...a huge plastic bag of them. They will no longer sell them like that as far as I know. However, I purchased 25mm filters, not those tiny ones in the jar. It's hard to tell but are they Leur Lock?

If you use bulk syringe filters/ not presealed, I would purge them with gso, before getting down to the actual filtering.....man those are small, going to take a while.

Just for reference, when I homebrewed, I would purchase my GSO at Food Lion, Publix, etc. It's on the aisle with olive oil.

lifter6973

Expert Alcoholic Fraudster
Reaction score
Looks like you bought from Amazon and they used the cheapest supplier. As far as the filters, I have bought straight from Titan in the past in bulk...a huge plastic bag of them. They will no longer sell them like that as far as I know. However, I purchased 25mm filters, not those tiny ones in the jar. It's hard to tell but are they Leur Lock?

If you use bulk syringe filters/ not presealed, I would purge them with gso, before getting down to the actual filtering.....man those are small, going to take a while.

Just for reference, when I homebrewed, I would purchase my GSO at Food Lion, Publix, etc. It's on the aisle with olive oil.
I don't know what is wrong with the pics but any of you guys use a laminar flow hood?

Edit: Wait, is it that the filters are not individually packaged? They all seem loose. In a real lab setup I never see this.

Edit again: shit, @almostgone already pointed this out.

Reaction score
Ya, I lost 10ml of fluid using those stupid little filters. Last batch caused muscle swelling that lasted about 5 days. Aside from cheap, these are the correct ingredients yes?

Reaction score
Ya, I lost 10ml of fluid using those stupid little filters. Last batch caused muscle swelling that lasted about 5 days. Aside from cheap, these are the correct ingredients yes?
No.

Those are NON-sterile syringe filters.

You want the individually wrapped filters that say “sterile”.

Use PVDF. 0.22 um. Get the largest diameter you can find. Those little ones would take forever to filter.

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
The solvents and oil look right, but I'm sketchy on those filters. I have no experience with that supplier. Their website looks legit. As best as I recall I always used PTFE or PVDF media, so that's G2G.

If you're using a caulking gun to push the oil through those filters, that smaller volume won't be able to filter as fast as 25mm and you may possibly blow out the media.

Are you using presealed sterile vials?

Reaction score
The solvents and oil look right, but I'm sketchy on those filters. I have no experience with that supplier. Their website looks legit. As best as I recall I always used PTFE or PVDF media, so that's G2G.

If you're using a caulking gun to push the oil through those filters, that smaller volume won't be able to filter as fast as 25mm and you may possibly blow out the media.

Are you using presealed sterile vials?
I have used both types of vials, no difference. Yeah I use a caulk gun, my forearms aren't that big lol

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
I have used both types of vials, no difference. Yeah I use a caulk gun, my forearms aren't that big lol
Whew, pushing through that small of a volume you're forearms will grow!

Like I posted, I've used bulk bags of filters straight from Titan ( unsealed), but I purged with a BA/GSO blend first, air purged, then filtered my projects and never had a problem.

Since you're going to upgrade to a larger size (hopefully), go ahead and get prepackaged filters. It will be the best choice. I only used mine because they came direct from Titan.

Reaction score
Whew, pushing through that small of a volume you're forearms will grow!

Like I posted, I've used bulk bags of filters straight from Titan ( unsealed), but I purged with a BA/GSO blend first, air purged, then filtered my projects and never had a problem.

Since you're going to upgrade to a larger size (hopefully), go ahead and get prepackaged filters. It will be the best choice. I only used mine because they came direct from Titan.
Do I win a prize if I can tell you how many drops it takes to fill a 10ml vial? Lol

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I wish I could help but I don't know how to brew so I leave it up to the experts like you!

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
Seriously, upgrade to presealed 25mm filters. It shouldn't be too hard to locate PTFE/PVDF .2 micron 25mm Whatman or .22 Titan or Millipore filters. I think the Millipores are 33mm diameter.

Last edited:

New Threads