Your thoughts on dealing with different weights vs stamped weight?

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
I got old school iron cookies for my plates, Standard brand from Jesup gym, our local wholesaler. Same with my iron hex dumbbells. I did weight each plate and everything is spot on +/- a few ounces on the 2.5 plates upto 35lb plates. I have the orginal 2- 45lb playes that came with original weight set and they are 47lb each. I bought 2 more 45lb plates a few months later, and one is 48lbs the other is 49lbs, so 225lb plate count wise is actually 236lbs throwing off everything if you are a stickler for weight percentage based programs.

now my daughter is splitting time between high school gym with modern bump weights and rubber DB’s. She came up the other night after doing the program her trainer printed out for her home WO’s and said “either our school weights are lighter or our are heavier because i couldnt do what i was supposed to do and had to drop down in weight.

DB’s ive never weighed, i just know from experience where im at per exercise so i dont give it any thought, barbell weights though since im running the 5/3/1 program i find myself taking into a count the additional weight of each 45lb plate and factoring it in to stay on course percentage wise. Over Christmas shutdown i have 4 new to me gyms im hitting with different buds to mix it up, and I expect weight feel to be different naturally be it the buddy push mentality/new environment....but just wondering how you guys deal with heavier bars, heavier/lighter plates you grab onto thats different than your tried and true typical weight your used to slinging?

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
All our plates at my gym are old iron and have their true weight written on them with a paint marker. I keep things as even as possible. If I have 47’s on I’ll try to find a pair around 43 next. Otherwise it adds up pretty damn fast when I’m taking squat singles.

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
All our plates at my gym are old iron and have their true weight written on them with a paint marker. I keep things as even as possible. If I have 47’s on I’ll try to find a pair around 43 next. Otherwise it adds up pretty damn fast when I’m taking squat singles.

Yes it does, throws shit outta whack in a hurry. Ive tried the “ignore it”, just go by plate stacks on the bar visually and push/pull the weight. But mentally i think it subconsciously nags at me because deep down i know whats on the bar and it throws me off, or ive stalled longer than normal because i get stuck trying to move more than i should/can.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Dont know if its true or not, the powerlifters maybe know, but i read somewhere long ago that the old soviet powerlifters trained without any numbers on the plates, thought being that they weren't thus psyched out by "how much".

Reactions: IHI

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Dont know if its true or not, the powerlifters maybe know, but i read somewhere long ago that the old soviet powerlifters trained without any numbers on the plates, thought being that they weren't thus psyched out by "how much".

Some of my best PR's have been when I've done bad bar math.

There really is something to the theory of mental blocks based on numbers.

One could argue that's why the RPE training system exists. Lift at your rate of perceived exhaustion, not what the numbers on the plates say. 90% one day might not be your 90% tomorrow.

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Non labeled plates would be a trip, but I understand the principal. Safe we’ve all been under/over a bar with bad math for better/worse and got kicked in the teeth or happy as hell when the discovery is made lol.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
10 of my 12 plates are 46-47 pounds. I just count them as 45s. It just means I'm about ten pounds stronger when I have them all in the bar. Now if they were less than 45 I would make the correct weight I needed by adding some.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Pretty sure the ability to lift a certain amount of weight on a given day will fluctuate more than a couple extra more or less pounds

Especially on a 45 pound plate lifting 135 +

So im not getting how that would matter

Could see it matter on a 15 pound dumbell but ....

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Pretty sure the ability to lift a certain amount of weight on a given day will fluctuate more than a couple extra more or less pounds

Especially on a 45 pound plate lifting 135 +

So im not getting how that would matter

Could see it matter on a 15 pound dumbell but ....

quick warm up weight, no, that extra few pounds wont matter. Get into heavy working sets and all those extra 2 here, 3/4 there pounds add up and doubled since theres 2 plates. So warming up with 225 is actually 240 with compounded added weight, now add more weight and things just stay or get more out if control when you warm with 6 plates doing deads thinking its 315 and its 325, etc...and weights stays misportioned on heavy side so you end up not completing what you should be able to, but have been overworking every set

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Realizing the complaint now especially when it causes an off balanced barbell

Not only does it add up on the barbell but imagine the production cost

wasting around 2 pounds of iron or whatever per plate

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
kilo plate are a less of a brain fuk because how thin they are compared to our think plates.

Never cared for matching plates besides thickness.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
So you’re saying you don’t believe I can feel the difference between 700 and 730?

Theoretically speaking

Deadlifting 700 locked out 730 not coming off the floor
Squatting 700 ground out 730 can't even unrack stable
bench 700 grinder 730 torn pec lol

New Threads