Why do iron weights feel heavier?

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
I recently began going to a new gym, and for the first time have been able to train with iron pro-style dumbbells. I can't help but notice that they feel noticeably heavier than both the rubber-coated ones that some Gold's have and the poly urethane ones that are becoming the standard everywhere else. The 85s feel like 95s. The gym also has a mix of iron plates and rubber ones, and if I hold a 25 pound iron plate in one hand and 25 pound rubber one in the other, there is simply no way they are the same weight unless my mind is playing one hell of a trick on me.

This is a pattern I have noticed in the past. I can bench 205 for reps with rubber plates at one Gold's, but with pure iron would only get a couple of reps.

Who can explain this phenomenon? I am convinced that the weight amounts of rubber and poly urethane weights are not legitimate.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
or spend a small fortune on calibrated plates 😂
We did get quite a bit of kilo plates because even with 100's we were running out of room on the bar.

We decided those will also be use for testing your meet numbers pre meet.

We got into it hard and had all kinds of shit, I had my own personal monolift lol.

Reaction score
Go weigh the mf'ers.

We have a scale at my gym, and I have weighed bars and whatnot at times to see what they weighed. Our ezbar is 18 lbs. It's an odd weight. I don't know why it weighs 18 lbs. Is this standard?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Go weigh the mf'ers.

We have a scale at my gym, and I have weighed bars and whatnot at times to see what they weighed. Our ezbar is 18 lbs. It's an odd weight. I don't know why it weighs 18 lbs. Is this standard?
Because EZ bars aren't used in any competition, so it doesn't matter.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Go weigh the mf'ers.

My ez bar is also 18lbs. 🤷‍♂️

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Go weigh the mf'ers.

mine is old as fuck weighs 15

all the iron plates are off by a few ounces , its the molding its not like they take time and make em all fancy and calibrated like Eleikos

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
The other very simple reason Iron feels heavier ... is.

Most of you guys use machines and stacks n these fancy set ups , well you set the weight on those but its not the weight you move right ? its been leveraged and its on a fulcrum.

I forget who tested gym shit ill have to dig around the you tubes to find it but almost none of that shit gives you the weight you put on it . you might have a 140lb stack pinned on your what ever machine , but your only moving a percentage of that

So free weights are going to naturally feel heavier cus ,, they are.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
The other very simple reason Iron feels heavier ... is.

Most of you guys use machines and stacks n these fancy set ups , well you set the weight on those but its not the weight you move right ? its been leveraged and its on a fulcrum.

I forget who tested gym shit ill have to dig around the you tubes to find it but almost none of that shit gives you the weight you put on it . you might have a 140lb stack pinned on your what ever machine , but your only moving a percentage of that

So free weights are going to naturally feel heavier cus ,, they are.

It could also feel like much more, depending upon the lever arm length. It can go either way.

Think of holding a 45 lb plate against your chest vs out in front of you at arms length. That same 45 lbs feels exponentially heavier.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
It could also feel like much more, depending upon the lever arm length. It can go either way.

Think of holding a 45 lb plate against your chest vs out in front of you at arms length. That same 45 lbs feels exponentially heavier.
For sure , ill do my russian twists like that and you can sure feel a difference from close to the chest to arms fully extended.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
For sure , ill do my russian twists like that and you can sure feel a difference from close to the chest to arms fully extended.
We have an old Icarian t-bar row, where the lever arm is so long, that 3 plates on it feels like 5. Very humbling machine.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
We have an old Icarian t-bar row, where the lever arm is so long, that 3 plates on it feels like 5. Very humbling machine.
I'd love to be able to work on some of those machines just to feel how they work and what they hit.

It's cool being able to grind hard at home but there's so much I read about I want to try

Reactions: CJ
Reaction score
I recently began going to a new gym, and for the first time have been able to train with iron pro-style dumbbells. I can't help but notice that they feel noticeably heavier than both the rubber-coated ones that some Gold's have and the poly urethane ones that are becoming the standard everywhere else. The 85s feel like 95s. The gym also has a mix of iron plates and rubber ones, and if I hold a 25 pound iron plate in one hand and 25 pound rubber one in the other, there is simply no way they are the same weight unless my mind is playing one hell of a trick on me.

This is a pattern I have noticed in the past. I can bench 205 for reps with rubber plates at one Gold's, but with pure iron would only get a couple of reps.

Who can explain this phenomenon? I am convinced that the weight amounts of rubber and poly urethane weights are not legitimate.
Duh. A pound of iron is heavier than a pound of urethane or rubber. For fucks’ sake what’s wrong with you.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those things are wild.

Worth noting that "harder" doesn;t necessarily mean better. Some of those old Icarian rigs have dogshit force curves.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Duh. A pound of iron is heavier than a pound of urethane or rubber. For fucks’ sake what’s wrong with you.

So a pound of rocks is heavier than a pound of feathers? Even though both are a pound? 😝

ICARIAN machines were the best ever made IMO. That T-Bar Row works really well.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, those things are wild.

Worth noting that "harder" doesn;t necessarily mean better. Some of those old Icarian rigs have dogshit force curves.
Agreed

New Threads