Help me put together a workout, starting from scratch

Reaction score
Age 30
Weight 190lbs 20% bodyfat. (Honest)
Height 5'10"

Main goal is to look good and build a shit ton of muscle. Strength would be a cherry on top.

First I'd like to thank you guys for helping me out with my recent question about the" right amount of reps and sets to build muscle". From the advice i got. I've cut back on my volume. And I gotta say i already feel much better. I didn't realize how much fatigue I was putting on myself.

Anyways @BigBaldBeardGuy shared this video to help me out. "the best training split by TBJP"

I watched it about 4 times very helpful but somehow I am still confused about what split I should do. But the light bulb went off in my head that maybe my PPL is not optimal. I like the idea this guy has. About progression, I'm just not sure how to put it all together.
It wasn't clear to me what the exact training split was. Rest days, reps, sets. Exercises etc.

The other issue is it was very difficult for me to understand what he was saying in the video due to the echoing voice, people slamming weights in the background etc. "I have some hearing shit going on"

I feel bad asking for you guys to spoon feed me everything.. BUT... the reality is... I finally realize and have come to terms with the fact that i REALLY AM retarted. And because of that I cannot be trusted to fabricated Anything with my own training.. I am 30 and I want to see some actuall noticable results. I have come a very long way with learning diet and nutrition. Now I just need to get the lifting/ layout part down.

So what do you guys think? How should my workouts look from start to finish. How do I organize this split?
- Split structure.
- Exercises
- rest times
-sets
-reps
-cardio
-rest days if any

Bare with me guys, I know this is a big ask. I appreciate your patience, I think I kinda just need it all written down and put in front of me, so it's idiot proof. Then my plan is to use this workout you guys give me and start a log and document it for everyone.

Take me under yalls wing 🙏

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
How many days per week will you train, and what days?

Even the most perfect split/program isn't perfect if it can't fit into your daily life due to work, family, other obligations.

I have more to say, but let's start with this.

Reaction score
How many days per week will you train, and what days?

Even the most perfect split/program isn't perfect if it can't fit into your daily life due to work, family, other obligations.

I have more to say, but let's start with this.
I try to go to the gym everyday.
My job is a 2 hour drive one way, physically demanding job. Somedays I get home too late to go but 90% of the time I can make it to the gym.

Fridays I meal prep my chicken for the week and shave my balls for the GF.

Other then that I try to go everyday. Like I said sometimes life happens, or work gets in the way but I'm pretty fucking good at making time lol the gym makes me feel good. And keeps me in the habit of going.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I try to go to the gym everyday.
Too much, cut it back to 4, 5 at most.
My job is a 2 hour drive one way, physically demanding job. Somedays I get home too late to go but 90% of the time I can make it to the gym.
Your job is adding to the stress and recovery demands, your body can only clear so much. I'd say 4 days of training, short and sweet, could be beneficial for you.
Fridays I meal prep my chicken for the week and shave my balls for the GF.
Cool
Other then that I try to go everyday. Like I said sometimes life happens, or work gets in the way but I'm pretty fucking good at making time lol the gym makes me feel good. And keeps me in the habit of going.

If you went to the gym 4 days per week, what days would they be? And what days do you work, and what do you do, what's the physical aspect of it?

Reaction score
It's always best to select a routine that you can stick to and that makes you enjoy the process. Training 2-3 times per week consistently is thousand times better than going 5 times and only lasting a month or so and then quitting. Whatever regime fits your lifestyle and the one you can stick to long term.

I have limited time, so I only train like 2 times per week. I make sure to do full body routine and put in effort to make it efficient and it works for me. I plan my diet the day before, always pack my stuff with myself. I'm constantly on the move so I adapted to it and pack my food/meals. I always plan out if I need some snacks where do I pick them up on the way and make sure it fits my calories.

I have tried many routine and the best for me are full body and upper lower split routines. It fits my needs and I like it. I also do body weight exercises in the park or someplace where there are pullup bar and dip station.

Reaction score
Too much, cut it back to 4, 5 at most.

Your job is adding to the stress and recovery demands, your body can only clear so much. I'd say 4 days of training, short and sweet, could be beneficial for you.

Cool

If you went to the gym 4 days per week, what days would they be? And what days do you work, and what do you do, what's the physical aspect of it?

I am a rigger/millwright/welder. Somedays I stand around all day, some days I'm carrying heavy shit up and down steps all day. It's 100% random (kinda of frustrating actually)

if I had to pick workout days it would probably be
-SATURDAY
-sunday
-Tuesday
-Wednesday
-thursday

taking of Monday and Friday would work best. But again I am flexible.

What about cardio. Should i be running on my "rest days"

Reaction score
It's always best to select a routine that you can stick to and that makes you enjoy the process. Training 2-3 times per week consistently is thousand times better than going 5 times and only lasting a month or so and then quitting. Whatever regime fits your lifestyle and the one you can stick to long term.

I have limited time, so I only train like 2 times per week. I make sure to do full body routine and put in effort to make it efficient and it works for me. I plan my diet the day before, always pack my stuff with myself. I'm constantly on the move so I adapted to it and pack my food/meals. I always plan out if I need some snacks where do I pick them up on the way and make sure it fits my calories.

I have tried many routine and the best for me are full body and upper lower split routines. It fits my needs and I like it. I also do body weight exercises in the park or someplace where there are pullup bar and dip station.
Same I litterally plan my life around working out and work. I have been consistent. But I was very beat down from the constant high pace of life and squeezing in super high volume workouts lol
Cutting back definitely feels nice. But it also feels wrong, lol

Reaction score
Instead of trying to write out a custom workout plan just for you, can we like just have you run DoggCrapp for 3 months and have you report back with like 10lbs more muscle?

Reaction score
Same I litterally plan my life around working out and work. I have been consistent. But I was very beat down from the constant high pace of life and squeezing in super high volume workouts lol
Cutting back definitely feels nice. But it also feels wrong, lol
I understand, that's why we have to find moderation and balance in life.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I am a rigger/millwright/welder. Somedays I stand around all day, some days I'm carrying heavy shit up and down steps all day. It's 100% random (kinda of frustrating actually)

if I had to pick workout days it would probably be
-SATURDAY
-sunday
-Tuesday
-Wednesday
-thursday

taking of Monday and Friday would work best. But again I am flexible.

What about cardio. Should i be running on my "rest days"

I'd run a 4 day Upper/Lower split, on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

I'd save the heavier/more taxing stuff for the weekend, when you're not working.

If your cardio is something like simply walking, getting steps in, just do it whenever. If it's something more taxing, keep it to Wednesday, and/or the weekends.

Reaction score
I'd run a 4 day Upper/Lower split, on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

I'd save the heavier/more taxing stuff for the weekend, when you're not working.

If your cardio is something like simply walking, getting steps in, just do it whenever. If it's something more taxing, keep it to Wednesday, and/or the weekends.
So example of this would be
-Saturday =upperbody
-Sunday= lower odyssey
-Monday =rest
-Tuesday=upper body
-Wednesday =rest
- thursday= lowerBody
-Friday= rest

Correct?
Also how about exercises, sets, reps, rest times. Etc

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
So example of this would be
-Saturday =upperbody
-Sunday= lower odyssey
-Monday =rest
-Tuesday=upper body
-Wednesday =rest
- thursday= lowerBody
-Friday= rest

Correct?
Also how about exercises, sets, reps, rest times. Etc

What exercises do you really feel like you connect with?

I'm thinking a lower volume Top Set/Down Set program.

If you do opt for DC Training, go 3 days per week, not 4 or 5.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I won't promise 10lbs in 3 months, but I can promise you that no one has ever gotten smaller running DoggCrapp.
but even Dante says DC is not for beginners. It's a very difficult program, and pushing to that level of failure takes time to learn how to do. They also don't understand what intensity really feels like.

I think he would get more starting out from something that doesn't require much experience or have a steep learning curve to reach the intensity and failure required. I agree with Dante, start people out on straight sets or something else simpler, and really learn what it truly feels like to push yourself

Reaction score
but even Dante says DC is not for beginners. It's a very difficult program, and pushing to that level of failure takes time to learn how to do. They also don't understand what intensity really feels like.

I think he would get more starting out from something that doesn't require much experience or have a steep learning curve to reach the intensity and failure required. I agree with Dante, start people out on straight sets or something else simpler, and really learn what it truly feels like to push yourself
Is OP a beginner?
I didn't think he was tbh. Lots of questions, sure. But I did not assume he was a beginner. Most beginners don't seem to venture to steroid-riddled forums with "underground" in the title lol.

If OP is a beginner, then yes - wait on DC.
I'd recommend running Phraks Greyskull LP until lifts stall, then reconsider DC.

EDIT
@Send0 do me a favor and delete the duplicate?

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Is OP a beginner?
I didn't think he was tbh. Lots of questions, sure. But I did not assume he was a beginner. Most beginners don't seem to venture to steroid-riddled forums with "underground" in the title lol.

If OP is a beginner, then yes - wait on DC.
I'd recommend running Phraks Greyskull LP until lifts stall, then reconsider DC.

EDIT
@Send0 do me a favor and delete the duplicate?
yeah, I mean just look at this thread and other threads he's started. Definitely still in the beginner phase, like most who first join here.

I think grayskull would be a good fit for him.

Also, deleted the duplicate post as requested.

Reaction score
yeah, I mean just look at this thread and other threads he's started. Definitely still in the beginner phase, like most who first join here.

I think grayskull would be a good fit for him.

Also, deleted the duplicate post as requested.
thanks buddy

Reaction score
Full body split for a beginner.

WTF, nobody watches the video at all to answer his questions. Just start chiming in with rando programs w/o understanding the what/why/how the guy is doing here.

Now he has more confusion. At least read the dudes post and understand stuff. Before tossing in 2 cents. As if anyone here knows more than Jordan Peterson?

And as for @oilfeildtrash, 10:52 into the video, he literally walks you thru it. This isn’t really a split, it’s FULL BODY every other day. One set per each exercise, with varying rep ranges. So how are you confused on reps and sets? It’s every other day. So how are you confused on rest days?

Watch the video. This is literally the EASIEST thing people do every day. Pick weight up put it down. Lower weight press weight. This isn’t complicated mathological problems.

Or go hire a coach. NOT a faggy little personal trainer but a REAL coach. Do research.

Last edited:

New Threads