Front hip hurting during squats

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
About 4 weeks ago warming up to a test of 1RM I hurt the front of my hip. Its the very top of my right quadricep just below my belt line. I only feel discomfort when I'm at the bottom of my squat. During warm ups, if I lay on my back and pull my knee to my chest I can feel the discomfort some but I don't know if I am stretching it when I do that or just irritating it. I am due for heavy sets today and would really to know a way to stretch this particular muscle. I do not feel any discomfort during my hip mobility stretches. Any help?

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I attempted the femur setting using a band but it's difficult to do anything else by myself. What do you recommend I do if I train at home by myself?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Nothing is going to help without technical fixes and imbalance correction.

I could be you posterior chain is weak and you're leaning forward onto your quads.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nothing is going to help without technical fixes and imbalance correction.

I could be you posterior chain is weak and you're leaning forward onto your quads.

Every one of these cases I have heard gets fixed by strengthening the abductors. We are all so externally rotated all the time that most of us have zero internal rotation. Hit the good girl machine or just use a band.

So yes it's absolutely a weakness and imbalance.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I attempted the femur setting using a band but it's difficult to do anything else by myself. What do you recommend I do if I train at home by myself?

You can put a heavy object like a dumbbell on the floor. Flip over on your hands and knees. Use the object to lock in the foot and push the ass back.

If the object is on the inside of the foot you will work internal rotation. On the outside you work external.

And like I mentioned to sfg start working the abductors

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I'll do that, thanks!

Should I just tie a knot in one of my bands so I can hook it over my rack somehow?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'll do that, thanks!

Should I just tie a knot in one of my bands so I can hook it over my rack somehow?

Choke the baND to the rack. It doesn't need to be up high. Just at hip level when you are kneeling. Wrap the band around the rack and pull one side thru the loop on the other end. Voila. Choked.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
OK. My bands do not have loops. Maybe I should get some that do?

Here are two angles of squatting 85% yesterday. I did not go quie as low as normal because of my hip. Ive worked real hard to keep my grip close to my shoulders and stay tight. Are my knees moving in too much?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
POB is correct can tell by your knees caving in, try and focus on pushing your knees out and fix your imbalance.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
You can put a heavy object like a dumbbell on the floor. Flip over on your hands and knees. Use the object to lock in the foot and push the ass back.

If the object is on the inside of the foot you will work internal rotation. On the outside you work external.

And like I mentioned to sfg start working the abductors

I'm having trouble picturing the dumbell exercise. Can you post a video?

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I did some abductor exercises with bands last night including body weight squats with a band pulling my knees together and focusing on keeping them wide.

I got on the floor and tried to figure out how to do the exercise with the heavy dumbells but I just cant imagine how it works.

Today my hip is bothering more than it has yet. Im not sure if its coincidence or if these abductor exercises are making it worse.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I did some abductor exercises with bands last night including body weight squats with a band pulling my knees together and focusing on keeping them wide.

I got on the floor and tried to figure out how to do the exercise with the heavy dumbells but I just cant imagine how it works.

Today my hip is bothering more than it has yet. Im not sure if its coincidence or if these abductor exercises are making it worse.

Adductor... aDductor. Two d's. Adductor.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Ive been deloading since last Friday and did suspended good mornings instead of squats but my hip is still bothering me. I can feel it when I lift my leg to get into my car every day. I'm thinking about seeing my doc to get a prescription for a physical therapist. I really want to get back into squatting since its such a weak spot for me.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It is your iliopsoas. When you lie on the ground on your back with your legs flat and do a sit up, does it hurt? Or doing hanging leg raises?

Last edited: