Rash on arm after donating blood

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
I have developed a rash on my arm the last couple of times I donated blood. I'm assuming this is an allergic reaction to the antiseptic used
to clean the arm before inserting the needle. The rash usually lasts 7-10 days. Does anybody have this problem when donating blood? If so what solution do you employ to alleviate the rash and swelling?

I have tried Benadryl tabs @ 50mg and Cortizone cream with no luck.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
You could try the benedryl daily prior to getting your bloods drawn. Not for the same reason but I read a dnp log a while back and the guy said he started taking the benedryl a week before he started the dnp due the the allergic reaction

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Are they using something besides alcohol pads to clean your skin?

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
Are they using something besides alcohol pads to clean your skin?

I have no clue what they use to sterilize the area. This is the red cross.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Maybe insist on using your own alcohol pads next time? If they’re willing to...

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
I had read that the main causes for a rash post blood donation is the iodine or nickel at the site. The other is the tape commonly used at the site. They say to just use an antihistamine. Like some of the guy said make sure they’re just using alcohol.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have no clue what they use to sterilize the area. This is the red cross.
They should be using iodine to disinfect the area prior to collecting a donation.

Mention to them that you seem to have an issue with iodine, ask if they have something else they can use.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
I have found that I get a rash from certain bandaid adhesives, not all of them...

Merlin

Reaction score
Just ask them what products they use and that you break out in a localized rash after donating. They should have alternative products for people allergic to iodine and adhesives all hospitals do.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I have found that I get a rash from certain bandaid adhesives, not all of them...

Bingo!

I never had a problem with Band-Aids or any latex products but if I leave a Band-Aid on for more then 10 min after donating, it get read and itchy for a day.

New Threads