Any HVAC people here?

Reaction score
Having an issue with my Goodman furnace. It’s two years old, been a piece of shit since new. The previous furnace was 8 years old when the heat exchanger was found to have about 20 holes in it, replaced the heat exchanger then the secondary exchanger plugged. Put this Goodman in and **** I’m getting tired of furnaces.

Current issue is it’s tripping the rollout switch, but there’s no flame rollout happening. I swapped the switch with the one on the other end of the box to see if the switch was the issue, it’s not. What’s happening is where it’s mounted is heating up and that’s what’s tripping the switch. My exhaust is clear, my intake is clear. I pulled the air filter, it had this neat square shaped right in the middle. I thought wtf is this. Take it upstairs to clean it, show my wife and she says oh yeah, I put a couple dryer sheets in front of it so it would smell good. Nice.

Anyway, clean the filter, reinstall, issue seems to go away for a couple day’s. Now it’s back, and won’t run longer than 30 mins without tripping. I’ve checked everything I can think of. Any thoughts?

The other issue this thing has is about every month I need to clean the flame sensor. That’s a minor issue compared to this.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
I’m not a tech, used to install, but my best guess from what you’re describing is it could be venting related. Do you have 2”? Depending on the distance and how many elbows/45s used, you may need to up to 3” if not...

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Thinking a little more about this... I’m assuming it’s a 90+, check the condensate piping as well... water could be backing up into the inducer.

Also, what size? If it’s a 70k or over, definitely should have 3 inch vents.

Maybe inspect the burner chamber for the smallest cracks/holes... could be heat escaping and tripping the switch. I dunno, good luck bro.

I only installed Trane, American Standard and Carrier so I’m not too familiar with Goodman.

Reaction score
It’s 100k btu, 96%.

2” vent, 1 90, couple 45s. Completely clear. The unit has a fitting for 2”, I could redo it in 3 though.

Today I tore this whole ****in thing apart. Had the blower out, clean. The bottom of the heat exchanger was completely clean. Pulled the inducer motor, cleaned all the condensate piping, pulled the burner tubes, the jets, basically everything except the heat exchanger itself. If I had gaskets for it, I would have pulled it too. Nothing shows signs of an issue. Buttoned it back up and it’s running. I also added two new duct ports to the hood, as I know the ducting in this house is improper.

I don’t trust that it’ll keep running.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
That sucks, horrible way to spend a Saturday. I could be wrong about the 3” not having installed Goodman... but the install manual should tell you specifically. I would scour the manual just to be sure your setup is golden... little things can make a big difference in my experience. Adding a couple taps may help, but rollout switch problems are usually a ventilation issues or possibly gas pressure. High limit is more of a duct sizing thing.

corvettels3

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Isn't it still under warranty? I had my AC/Heater replaced about a year ago (Trane). I was going to go with Goodman, but my installer warned me. Most of his service calls are with Goodman.

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Mine is a Goodman also and it also is a shit box.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Is that thing gas or oil?

Reaction score
Isn't it still under warranty? I had my AC/Heater replaced about a year ago (Trane). I was going to go with Goodman, but my installer warned me. Most of his service calls are with Goodman.
I didn’t research it before I bought it. My parents built a house, they installed Goodman, I said good enough for me. Wrong. They’ve had nothing but issues with theirs too. As for warranty, I’m sure there’s a parts warranty, but nothing is broken.