Jay Cutler criticizes Olympia, calls it a "mess"

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
I found this pretty interesting:

The men's open competitors didn't take the stage until 11pm local time (2am eastern). Jay makes a good case that this is unfair to both the athletes and fans alike.

Like so many other things in society, Olympia weekend has become oversaturated and watered down.

lifter6973

Expert Alcoholic Fraudster
Reaction score
I found this pretty interesting:

The men's open competitors didn't take the stage until 11pm local time (2am eastern). Jay makes a good case that this is unfair to both the athletes and fans alike.

Like so many other things in society, Olympia weekend has become oversaturated and watered down.
What time did they get on stage in the past? Does seem like BS and watered down.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
100% agree. I simply didn't watch the olympia finals this year bc of how late it was going to go on. So as a fan it sucks, can't imagine being an athlete at the show. For a sport that relies so much on peaking, and getting your body into dangerously high conditioning, and asking these athletes to stay up probably close to 48 hrs, it's insane.

Last edited:

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
@RISE From what Jay said, it sounds like Hadi actually peaked a few hours before going on stage. Even though he won, he could have had an even more convincing win if not for having to wait around for so many hours.

What do you think could be done to fix this?

I feel like Classic Physique has become a big hit. Perhaps they could hold that separately, maybe over the summer or something. Then the open Olympia towards the end of the year. Each one could have a couple other divisions as opening acts, instead of one bloated event that takes way too long.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
@RISE From what Jay said, it sounds like Hadi actually peaked a few hours before going on stage. Even though he won, he could have had an even more convincing win if not for having to wait around for so many hours.

What do you think could be done to fix this?

I feel like Classic Physique has become a big hit. Perhaps they could hold that separately, maybe over the summer or something. Then the open Olympia towards the end of the year. Each one could have a couple other divisions as opening acts, instead of one bloated event that takes way too long.
I think they need to ditch the opening meeting on Thurs with all the bodybuilders and make that the day for many of the other classes. They could do prejudging on Thursday for everything but classic and open bodybuilding, and then Finals for those classes on Friday as well as prejudging for Classic and Open. Then classic and open finals on Sat. That Thurs meet and greet or whatever it is with the open bodybuilders is cringe anyway. Just a bunch of jacked dudes talking like they're in the WWE.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Jay Cutler also went in on the points system, and how too many guys qualify right now:

I have to say I agree with everything said in this video. It should be a more prestigious group.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
It was going onto 2:00 AM. Too long. This was bad for the guys on East Coast. It was just bad all away around
I agree. If I had actually paid the $70 for the PPV, I would have been pissed that it went on that late.

Janoy Cresva

Reaction score
Why is it on ppv? ESPN should cover it. They already have gay made up sports like slamball and Cornhole on it nowadays

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Why is it on ppv? ESPN should cover it. They already have gay made up sports like slamball and Cornhole on it nowadays
I think ESPN doesn't want to show a sport/spectacle associated with PED usage.

New Threads