Natty Newbie

UrogenitalSubsect

Reaction score
Hey you jacked and tan mofos,

Just wanted to say hi here. Looking to talk to people much bigger than me, and get some good knowledge on gear and general bodybuilding. 19 yrs old, 5'5" (manlet), 148lbs. Lifting seriously w/ tracking calories about 3 years.

While I'm here, thought I'd ask a question w/ my first post.

So last year, I bulked my way up to 158lbs from like ~125-130lbs, which was the heaviest I've ever been. I then cut down to ~140-142lbs at the end of this summer, and have been bulking ever since. My plan was to bulk up to ~160lbs this year, then cut in the beginning of march.

My question is, is 160lbs a good goal to have for bulking, or should it be higher than my weight for the end of my last bulk (ie 165-170lbs)? I am currently eating ~3200kcal a day, and doing a ton of walking around campus and for my job, so I'm gaining about .8-1lbs a week. Last year for my bulk I was eating 3500+kcal with less physical activity towards the end of my bulk. So I'm wondering, should I "aim higher" for my goal weight, or is 160lbs a good goal to have?

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Personally I'd go by how I looked and felt rather than what I weighed. Usually when I'm gaining there comes a point where I say ok, thats more than enough fat, time to reverse course. All depends what you're comfortable with.

And welcome to UGBB

UrogenitalSubsect

Reaction score
Personally I'd go by how I looked and felt rather than what I weighed. Usually when I'm gaining there comes a point where I say ok, thats more than enough fat, time to reverse course. All depends what you're comfortable with.

And welcome to UGBB

I usually like to have a measurable goal, as I can see myself during the day maybe when I'm carb bloated / holding water and in bad lighting and go "oh I'm a fat ****, time to cut" when in reality I haven't really been into my bulk too long and still should be bulking, but I totally understand your feeling of going on how you look. I think I'll get to my goal of 160, and when I'm there, deciding on how I feel, choose how to move on from there.

and thanks for the welcome.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What Bricks said. Weight is just an arbitrary number.

Welcome to the board - stick around for a while. A lot of knowledgeable folks around here.

UrogenitalSubsect

Reaction score
What Bricks said. Weight is just an arbitrary number.

Welcome to the board - stick around for a while. A lot of knowledgeable folks around here.

Thanks! It's sometimes very easy to get caught up in the numbers and logistics of things.

I plan on sticking around, seems like a good forum.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It's sometimes very easy to get caught up in the numbers and logistics of things.

I plan on sticking around, seems like a good forum.

I completely understand. At one point I was dead set on getting my weight up to 260 (I'm 5'10") and I did...and felt victorious briefly because I'd achieved my goal. Then I realized I was a fat, watery turd. Having a goal to shoot for is great - we just have to make sure we place our goals in the right place!

UrogenitalSubsect

Reaction score
I completely understand. At one point I was dead set on getting my weight up to 260 (I'm 5'10") and I did...and felt victorious briefly because I'd achieved my goal. Then I realized I was a fat, watery turd. Having a goal to shoot for is great - we just have to make sure we place our goals in the right place!

That's very true, I think that my goal of 160lbs should be okay. I weigh myself every morning and calculate my average weight gain, and usually try to keep it under a lb a week, so I think that as long as I keep that consistent until the end of february, I'll be good, and have packed on a decent amount of muscle and be ready for a cut.

I think my other goal should be to have a back like your profile picture tho....

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey you jacked and tan mofos,

Just wanted to say hi here. Looking to talk to people much bigger than me, and get some good knowledge on gear and general bodybuilding. 19 yrs old, 5'5" (manlet), 148lbs. Lifting seriously w/ tracking calories about 3 years.

While I'm here, thought I'd ask a question w/ my first post.

So last year, I bulked my way up to 158lbs from like ~125-130lbs, which was the heaviest I've ever been. I then cut down to ~140-142lbs at the end of this summer, and have been bulking ever since. My plan was to bulk up to ~160lbs this year, then cut in the beginning of march.

My question is, is 160lbs a good goal to have for bulking, or should it be higher than my weight for the end of my last bulk (ie 165-170lbs)? I am currently eating ~3200kcal a day, and doing a ton of walking around campus and for my job, so I'm gaining about .8-1lbs a week. Last year for my bulk I was eating 3500+kcal with less physical activity towards the end of my bulk. So I'm wondering, should I "aim higher" for my goal weight, or is 160lbs a good goal to have?

Welcome to UG. Listen to Bricks. In my opinion stay on a slow and steady bulk for a couple of years. Long term you will hold more muscle rather than an annual bulk and cut.

UrogenitalSubsect

Reaction score
Welcome to UG. Listen to Bricks. In my opinion stay on a slow and steady bulk for a couple of years. Long term you will hold more muscle rather than an annual bulk and cut.

I do like to be lean for summer (got to get the chicks somehow right?), but I did do a ~year - year and a half long bulk from 16-17 where I went from 120lbs - 157lbs (was a scrawny lean SOB for wrestling, got out of that and got some mass.) Are you saying that you think it would be a better idea to do another long bulk like that? If I were to do such a bulk, what should I aim for with weekly weight gain? Right now I'm at around 1lb / wk, but I feel that could be lowered to more like .5lb/wk pretty easily.

Rivere Stelanos

Reaction score
I resently started a bulk to. Actualy its my first bulk so Im prety new to the subject. I was happy with the way I looked, but felt I could put some more mass on me. The guys on UGBB realy helped me a lot. There are a lot of seasoned lifters here that will give you reliable and honest answers.Welcome and enjoy your stay.

GotClen

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy a great board full
of information.
G

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum;
Wanna bulk up...eat an Italian based diet

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome urogenital suspect.. I have to say, pretty impressed that you're 19 and actually believe in hard work and planning and didn't immediately demand sources or advice on a var cycle.

UrogenitalSubsect

Reaction score
Welcome urogenital suspect.. I have to say, pretty impressed that you're 19 and actually believe in hard work and planning and didn't immediately demand sources or advice on a var cycle.

I hung around the steroids subreddit occasionally before this, and they're very against unknowledgeable steroid usage and asking for sources, so I already know not to be the "hey where can i get da roids n shit mane" guy.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I hung around the steroids subreddit occasionally before this, and they're very against unknowledgeable steroid usage and asking for sources, so I already know not to be the "hey where can i get da roids n shit mane" guy.

Sorry if you already mentioned this - but what are ultimately your long term goals? Competitive bodybuilding? Just looking good?

UrogenitalSubsect

Reaction score
Sorry if you already mentioned this - but what are ultimately your long term goals? Competitive bodybuilding? Just looking good?

For now I'd like to just look as good as possible, but I could definitely see myself getting into competitive bodybuidling. There's a barbell club at my school that pushes its members to compete, and they are kind of making me lean towards competing in a show, maybe in August or something.

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For now I'd like to just look as good as possible, but I could definitely see myself getting into competitive bodybuidling. There's a barbell club at my school that pushes its members to compete, and they are kind of making me lean towards competing in a show, maybe in August or something.

Well good luck man and keep us updated. Don't let the fukkers in the BB club influence you to take gear too early. You still have a lot of natty gains left.

UrogenitalSubsect

Reaction score
Well good luck man and keep us updated. Don't let the fukkers in the BB club influence you to take gear too early. You still have a lot of natty gains left.

It seems like especially in bodybuilding there's a push for people to get on gear as early as possible, as that is what "is necessary" to be the best. Which is why you see a lot of really young bodybuilders juicing.