Muscle preservation diet.

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Tell me your thoughts about my diet and training approach while recovering from Bicep reattachment surgery.

Im early 40s so I’ve experimented with different diet approaches and figured out what I can stick to that works well for me when I can train at a normal 90-100% give or take minor aches and pains . I’m sure many of you would disagree with my approach and I certainly don’t think its for everyone . Obviously genetics and doing what works for each of us differ from person to person so it’s not a one size fits all. It’s what I can sustain as a lifestyle.

When I’m bulking I tend to put on weight fairly easy with the right surplus in calories and cycle. 4000-4500cals is about right for me. I don’t count calories as much as I know approximately the portion sizes so I know I could dial things in more but it’s not broke.

When cutting i do Intermittent fasting I keep the calories at about 3000-3500 and typically do cardio 4-5 days a week while keeping up the training intensity . I realize IF may not be optimal but it keeps me from overeating or being hangry all the time.

The main question is how well the intermittent fasting will work while training is not optimal over the next 10-13 weeks. I’d rather be a little thinner than have muffintops at the pool this summer.

Ill be doing legs with what intensity I can 3 Times a week and I’ll still be doing limited upper body training 3 days a week. No pushing or pulling on the right side for at least 6 weeks then see what the Dr. says.

should I continue with what’s proven to work for me or do desperate times call for desperate measures?

Im 5’8” 222lbs as of today.

juuced

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I dont know about the IF but I think those calories can come down a little to around 2500 per day.
Im 6-2 and 238lb and do well on 2500cal/ day also on TRT.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Juucced,

i can certainly appreciate that being injured my calorie needs would be adjusted . Under normal circumstances I maintain or border on a slight deficit at 3500 calories . Over the next 6-7 weeks I could go as low as 2500 cals but that would be drastic for me. For my body 2500 cals is a considerable caloric deficit based on a trial and error .

New Threads