What's The Worse Thing You Have Done In January At The Gym???

Gabriel

Reaction score
We all go thru it,,,the new year and the flood of new members after the 1st...Once in Phoenix,I left for the holidays to return to my gym around Jan 4th,to an extra 100 people....I mean you had to wait for everything....Then the guys trying to get a hook-up,,,the cougars trying their best to look 35 again,,,and the overall lack of gym respect..........and the 50mgs of Drol a day ,,this is going to be a problem...And it was ,,several times I found myself being a super A-hole...Once I rolled back on the bench with 100lb dumbells and this dick bumped me while talking to some girl,,not even seeing what he had done,,I F-ing threw the dumbells and got up in his face...Nothing came of it,but another example of crap we put up with after the 1st...So, what's the worse you have done, with some of the doses I've seen here,there's got to be some stories..??

Torres

Reaction score
HMMM!!!
One time, I just couldn’t handle the BS with all the new people doing the wrong shit AND on top of that, the new personal trainers fresh out of YouTube school, that I was waiting for some dumbells, so I just grabbed them from this kid after he did a set and didn’t say shit and give them back until I was done, LOL .
It wasn’t to nice but know your role and stop being on your ****ing phone and talking between sets, then this way shit like that might not happen !!

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I never really appreciated how intimidating it must be for someone to join a gym for the first time until I started jiu jitsu at age 35. Fish out of water doesn’t begin to describe it and I used to literally get sick to my stomach before every class. I only stuck with it because some of the guys showed a lot of patience and were willing to put in the time to get me on my way. It gave me a good perspective on how it must feel for someone coming to the gym for the first time. They are forcing themselves to get there and are enduring 60 - 90 mins of perceived humiliation to improve their lives. I am not a saint, but if someone looks confused I will show them how to work a machine and I will offer them a smile when they walk in the door. We all started as retards in the gym, but someone took the time to help us get started. Nothing wrong with paying it forward.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I never really appreciated how intimidating it must be for someone to join a gym for the first time until I started jiu jitsu at age 35. Fish out of water doesn’t begin to describe it and I used to literally get sick to my stomach before every class. I only stuck with it because some of the guys showed a lot of patience and were willing to put in the time to get me on my way. It gave me a good perspective on how it must feel for someone coming to the gym for the first time. They are forcing themselves to get there and are enduring 60 - 90 mins of perceived humiliation to improve their lives. I am not a saint, but if someone looks confused I will show them how to work a machine and I will offer them a smile when they walk in the door. We all started as retards in the gym, but someone took the time to help us get started. Nothing wrong with paying it forward.

that’s very true brother, thank is for sharing that
I need to work on being more understanding to new gym goers. Good on them for making an effort to get in the gym no matter how annoying some of them are

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fookin' plankers get me every time, this time of year. Can't even walk to the dumbbell rack without tripping over one of those fooks.

They're fookin' everywhere. Like human speed bumps.

Rule of Thumb: if ye can do yer "exercise" at home with no equipment, do it there.

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
Absolutely DK, I train home these days, but was always welcoming to newbs. As long as your there to work, I’d be your guy for anything.thats not to say that there aren’t times for a little “ tough love” or educating on proper gym edicate. As you said we were all retards once and some guys were dicks, but there were always the good older guys that would just help you out. That’s the guy I always strived to be. Anyone that wants to part of our sport, I’d always help... I enjoy that aspect .

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
It's nice having my own place so I don't need to deal with this kind of stuff.

My brother goes to a small "Fitness" gym that's not a good place for anyone who actually lifts heavy and/or seriously. He complains about the influx of the resolution members. What he does really dislike more than Jan. is March when guys get comfortable enough to ask him, "Can I ask you a question?" Oh fuuk, here comes the gear talk.

One side note on "New Years Resolution" people, they are the best to buy equipment from if you wait. December 25th a new treadmill or stepper shows up, gets used in Jan.-March, turns into a coat rack in April, tired of looking at their failure in May and ends up on Craig's list by June.

Reaction score
According to OP I’d have to say that the worst thing I ever did in January at a gym was to personally sell 87 memberships.
You asshole.

Seriously, as much as I hate the abundance of people, I don’t hate resolutioners. Can’t fault someone for at least trying.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
I switch my training. No super setting cause, I know shit will get hijacked. Stick to my area. Noone bugs me.

I do get a laugh at all the new things I see.

Just do you, boo

Last edited:

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I go at 430am so i dont get many resolutioners. Nobody bothers me and i dont bother them. Its generally smooth going. We do have a few plankers and stretching folks that you have to watch out for every now and then...

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
People leave me alone and I do the same. I have never really had a problem with this.

Pretty much same here on the rare occasion I do go to a public gym.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't have any issues these days.

After 30 some-odd years, my gym is closing it's doors for good in about 18 months if all goes well. There's been a steady decline in memberships vs the chain gyms in the area, largely due to price. That tends to keep the newbies and the less dedicated out of my gym. Attendance like that is a double edged sword.

Reactions: CJ

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nothing I can recall. Well, not in January anyway and nothing to do with new resolution type members.

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Worst thing I did was bumb this dude lifting 100lb dumbbells while trying to talk to this chick. he wasnt too happy and ...well you know. just kidding

Pretty much like everyone else...i stick my headphones in and people leave me alone. i love people watching at the gym, year round. NewYears is always interesting to see the new people and can tell often who is actually using it to get better vs "new year new me" kind of thing. really just keep to myself unless someone asks a question

Gabriel

Reaction score
Met ,,I finally found you ....that was in 97,not that I hold a grudge or anything....Update..In the Y yesterday at 4pm................Dude,nothing open...I mean are people getting off work early now to get to the gym???