Hamstring workout

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
When I was younger I did an insane amount of walking. So I probably still have strong legs.

I have a difficult time feeling any kind of real stretch happening in my hams.

I tried:

Romanian Deadlifts
Straight Legged Deadlifts
Good Mornings

I finally settled on Dumbbell High Swing (aka Kettlebell Swing). With these I do feel some stretch.

Dumbbell High Swing - Compound - Pull
Target: Gluteus Maximus
Synergists: Hamstrings, Adductor Magnus, Soleus, Quadriceps, Erector Spinae, Trapezius (Middle), Trapezius (Lower), Deltoid (Anterior), Deltoid (Lateral), Pectoralis Major (Clavicular), Serratus Anterior

But they also feel more like cardio than most lifts. Although I could probably use the cardio! :p

Just curious what you guys do to work your hams.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Higher rep deadlifts light my hammies up. Sore for days.

I don't do RDLs anymore because I've popped a hammie too many times doing them.

45° hip extensions instead of DLs if I'm in a block where I'm not doing DLs. Feet pointed straight ahead, because the further I point them out, the more I feel it in my glutes.

Lying leg curls to work them from the knee joint.

I do KB swings occasionally, but like you said, it's more cardio/muscle endurance for me. Plus, I feel them more in my glutes.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
GHR's have been the best exercise to activate my hamstrings. Being able to do them 2-3 times a week with numerous variations as far as rep scheme, time, bands, etc.

Straight leg Rev Hypers as well with the proper attachment on the pendulum. Given you have these options obviously.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dumbell high swing, aka American kettlebell swing is some extended version of the original Russian kettlebell swing. Personally, I am not a fan of the American version. Yeah you might be stretching your hamstring and hips further but now you're also possibly risking injury to your shoulders and or lower back. And yes, the exercise burns a shit ton of calories so it's a good cardio too. As Metalhead suggested, the GHR is a great idea for a good ham activitation.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Everything you mentioned! Minus the kettle bell swings!
When the gym opens I'll be able to do leg curls,I get the most from
them & RDL & stiff leg deadlift!
Also used to do alot of reverse deads,they work well, just haven't done them lately!!!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
GHR's have been the best exercise to activate my hamstrings. Being able to do them 2-3 times a week with numerous variations as far as rep scheme, time, bands, etc.

Straight leg Rev Hypers as well with the proper attachment on the pendulum. Given you have these options obviously.

Another vote fer straight leg reverse hypers. When me gym was open, this was a staple in my posterior chain programming.

Ye can also of course try low bar / wide stance squats.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Leg days always open with reverse hypers.

Are you looking for a certain look or trying to get your lifts up?

I like laying leg curls. You can also use a dumbbell. Hold and squeeze at the top. You can do a variation of tempo actually and I think that's what will help the hammie pop.

Stiff leg deads. I will do 10, half way up to the knees. 10 from half way to all the way up. 10 full range. You can step with your heels on a plate, and use a db.

Don't under estimate the kick back machine. if you angle your toes to point out. Dude, youre gonna fuk your life up.

Single leg curls. If your gym has one, you'll be standing. You can do a variation of 21's, half reps, pause. or just go fukin hard on them.

If you want to use more hams on a bike, point your toes down, and mentally isolate your hams. Glute bridges - holding at the top, and not letting tension off at the bottom.

I think that's all I got for now.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Well I went back to RDLs. Wish I could do leg curls but I'm as broke as a joke.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
View attachment 9999

This little gem right here. Kneeling single leg curls. Like a dead weight concentration curl for the hamstrings. I do those with RDLs and seated leg curls. I always compound set quads and hamstrings.

The hamstrings work across two joints, pick an exercise for each to fully develop them.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
View attachment 9999

This little gem right here. Kneeling single leg curls. Like a dead weight concentration curl for the hamstrings. I do those with RDLs and seated leg curls. I always compound set quads and hamstrings.

The hamstrings work across two joints, pick an exercise for each to fully develop them.
That's the one I am talking about.

The key here is pointing your toes down, flexing as hard as possible. You don't need a lot of weight, it really hits the peak of the ham.

It's one of those finish polisher movements. Finish your workout with 3 sets of 20, or more reps if you can. Or 3 sets of 21s.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Low Bar Squat, GHR, SLDL, RDL, GM, Cable Pull Through, Glute Bridges, Any version of Leg Curl, etc...

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Well I went back to RDLs. Wish I could do leg curls but I'm as broke as a joke.

do you not have access to a gym right now? If not you can do leg curls with a dumbell or a resistance band, you really need a stretching movement like RDLs and a curling movement.

Make sure your form is right if you struggle feeling rdls start light and focus on feeling it before progressing the weight, make sure you are pushing your butt back as you descend and bring forward as you come back up, keep back straight throughout, if it starts to round on the way down, you are outside your active range of motion.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Thank you for the good advice.

Cannot afford a gym membership right now.

No I have the hip hinge down. Just have a tough time finding my max weight with certain lifts.

Equipment I do have:

Gold's Gym XRS 20
Olympic Barbell
Olympic Weight Plates
Olympic Trap Bar
Standard Weight Plates
Standard Hammer Bar
Standard Barbell
Standard EZ Curl Bar
Standard Dumbbells
Standard Light Bar
Weight Belt
Squat Pad
...and some cement blocks I use for calves and trap bar lifts

no bands, cables, machines, etc.

I'm still just a beginner but pushing towards becoming an intermediate, hopefully soon.

I tried doing leg curls on my bench but it hurt my back.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Thank you for the good advice.

Cannot afford a gym membership right now.

No I have the hip hinge down. Just have a tough time finding my max weight with certain lifts.

Equipment I do have:

Gold's Gym XRS 20
Olympic Barbell
Olympic Weight Plates
Olympic Trap Bar
Standard Weight Plates
Standard Hammer Bar
Standard Barbell
Standard EZ Curl Bar
Standard Dumbbells
Standard Light Bar
Weight Belt
Squat Pad
...and some cement blocks I use for calves and trap bar lifts

no bands, cables, machines, etc.

I'm still just a beginner but pushing towards becoming an intermediate, hopefully soon.

I tried doing leg curls on my bench but it hurt my back.

Well hams and back tie in.

You were laying on your stomach?

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Well hams and back tie in.

You were laying on your stomach?

Yes laying on my stomach. Tried adjusting my legs on the foam roller pads but they are just too high raised up off the bench.

Could barely get my legs out at the end!

EDIT: I just figured out that I had my legs in there wrong...oops! :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94NdejtUsTs

Now I should be okay...big time dufus move on my part! :D

Last edited: