Any tips for how to stay muscular while cutting?

Reaction score
[h=2]Any tips for how to stay muscular while cutting?[/h]
So i've been doing relatively well.....

I made some great progress and brought my weight up to 213 while on test E and anavar

I recently dropped the anavar and decided to begin cutting, ideally I would be relatively cut/lean at 185.

its been 2 weeks into my cut and I am down to 205. That's about 4 lbs a week. I know they say you shouldnt be losing more than 2 pounds a week but I figured since I am on Test E, I shouldn't be losing muscle... correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.

My TDEE is 2800 calories and i've been taking in around 1800 calories a day, counting EVERYTHING. The weight loss is working but I feel flat? I dont believe it is glycogen because I have been consuming around 150-200 grams of carbs a day. I have been doing cardio I would say 4-5 times a week.

I guess my question is... what I would be better off not doing ANY cardio since I am already in a deficit? Should I bump up my calories to 2300 a day and try to lose fat at a slower pace? Should I just aim to ONLY lift and do so 5-6 days a week?

I do want to see my abs but I do not want to lose muscle and look small... is this still possible or is size loss just a part of it?

Ideally I would want to look like an NFL lineback, SIZE plus being lean... Any tips you'd give would be greatly appreciated.​

Chillinlow

Reaction score
Taking test e isn’t going to keep your muscle just eat cleaner. 1800 calories a day your going to just lose it all specially going to deficit that fast.

chandy

Reaction score
Ive not done a cycle but from what I've gathered being here for awhile is. Stop doing as much cardio for now especially if u are already in such a big deficit. I'd do 2300 cal cutting cardio to 1-2 a week min. Or all together while u r coming off var and a few weeks after ur blast? Unless u have only been cruising. At that point maintance for about a month after stopping var then go into ur deficit.

Something like that from what I've read and understood im probably not completely correct but It is something closer/ better

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If your numbers are correct, I'd bump it up to 2300 Cals. A 500 Cal deficit per day is a good safe amount. Don't worry about you've lost so far, it's all water and glycogen.

And don't worry, you're in that weird in-between stage where you're losing the fullness from gaining and the drugs, but you're not lean enough to see your progress.

It happens to me every year, I hate it. But one day you'll wake up and look in the mirror, and be like..... Ohhhh ok. Here we go!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Just say that you said this in a duplicate post.... "Ideally I would want to look like an NFL lineback, SIZE plus being lean..."

I don't know of any linebackers being only 185 lbs, unless we're talking high school.

Why are you cutting?

Maintain your weight, try to grow into it, so you're starting off at a better point for your next gain phase.

Reaction score
Just say that you said this in a duplicate post.... "Ideally I would want to look like an NFL lineback, SIZE plus being lean..."

I don't know of any linebackers being only 185 lbs, unless we're talking high school.

Why are you cutting?

Maintain your weight, try to grow into it, so you're starting off at a better point for your next gain phase.

hey man thank you for your knowledgeable response... I think u hit it dead on when you said I’m in that in between stage.

ultimately, I would love to see my abs or Atleast have a flat stomach... I think that is my primary reason for cutting ... so you think a 500 calorie deficit is the best way to go about it..

should I still do cardio or just lift weights?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
500 Cal deficit is reasonable, "best" is subjective.

Nothing wrong with cardio, but I wouldn't overdo it. I wouldn't do anything like HIIT, I'd stick to more lighter steady state. Think of it more as to stay healthy, so you have stamina for your training sessions.

Charger69

Reaction score
Agree 500 cal deficit. Add Cardio- once again- I agree light cardio, BUT. Adjust the cardio, not the diet to get what you want.

It’s a process. Don’t rush it.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Staying out of the diet on the cut part for the most part....how to keep the most muscle - up the test or add some drol.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
To add to what’s been said, have patience. For most of guys who I see lose a lot of muscle it’s not what they are on vs what they aren’t, it’s how impatient they are. You’ve gotten to where you are over a course of years so don’t think you can get to where you want to be in a matter of weeks. After the initial water and glycogen lose, I have found a pound a week to be reasonable so you losing 20lbs would be close to 6 months.

New Threads