UPS pays $40M to end online pharmacies probe

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow! this is just strange to me. The gvmnt going after the shipping co's as well as the pharmacies. What the hell next????

..UPS pays $40M to end online pharmacies probe
UPS agrees to 'forfeit' $40M collected from online pharmacies to end criminal probe
By Paul Elias, Associated Press | Associated Press – 48 mins ago....Email0Share3
Share0Print......

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Shipping company UPS has agreed to pay $40 million to end a federal criminal probe connected to its work for online pharmacies.

The U.S. Department of Justice announced Friday that the Atlanta-based company would also "take steps" to block illicit online drug dealers from using their delivery service.

The DOJ says the fine amount is the money UPS collected from suspect online pharmacies.

UPS won't be charged with any crimes. Its biggest rival, FedEx Corp., has also been a target of the federal investigation.

The investigation of the two companies stems from a global campaign to shutter illicit online pharmacies launched in 2005. Since then, dozens of arrests have been made and thousands of websites closed worldwide as investigators continue to broaden the probe beyond the operators.

Here's the link http://news.yahoo.com/ups-pays-40m-end-online-173625033.html

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ya I don't like how that sounds

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Goes to show US Pharma using political favors, connections AKA their mob-like muscle to stomp out anyone charging a reasonable price for the same product.

Reaction score
The U.S. Department of Justice announced Friday that the Atlanta-based company would also "take steps" to block illicit online drug dealers from using their delivery service.
[/QUOTE]

That's the scary part. What does that consist of exactly.....

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This shit is out of hand....going after UPS and FedEx. Yet they are leaving USPS out. Fucking makes me want to puke. Commie cocksuckers

goodfella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Something like this played out about a year ago with google too, but they were set up or something by the FBI I think the story was and also had to pay 450 million in fines to not be charged with any crimes. Go figure...

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can assure you this will do nothing but make buisness owners even more fearful in an already shakey economic climate.

Wonder if this is some get back on behalf of Uncle Sam. Since USPS is failing lets fine the ones who are producing jobs, security and tax $$$.

staxs

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow i dont like that one bit ..... Xray machines ?

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can assure you this will do nothing but make buisness owners even more fearful in an already shakey economic climate.

Wonder if this is some get back on behalf of Uncle Sam. Since USPS is failing lets fine the ones who are producing jobs, security and tax $$$.

That's all part of the whole game plan. Even his own Party is so PC drunk on being a part of black history they cannot see what the piece of shit is really up to.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's all part of the whole game plan. Even his own Party is so PC drunk on being a part of black history they cannot see what the piece of shit is really up to.

That is a great point that cuts right to the heart of the matter.

Im not sure all of them are drunk. I think there is a group of white people whos ties can be traced to the hippies of the 60s that hate this country worse than any illiterate North Korean. They are happy with what is going on and want to see the US brought to its knees by anyone. Then there is a contingency of blacks and whites that dont give a shit what is going on they got a black president so fuck off.

This is so like the Roman Empire Mike.

Curiosity

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
From the article I read it sounded like UPS was made aware of the illegal pharmacies and who they were a while ago, and they just decided to keep shipping for them and disregarded the fact that they knew they were illegal operations. That was the beef, it was that they were fully aware of the illegality of these companies and they continued to ship for them. I think its pretty fair to hold them accountable for it.

That's just what it sounded like from an article I read today.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
From the article I read it sounded like UPS was made aware of the illegal pharmacies and who they were a while ago, and they just decided to keep shipping for them and disregarded the fact that they knew they were illegal operations. That was the beef, it was that they were fully aware of the illegality of these companies and they continued to ship for them. I think its pretty fair to hold them accountable for it.

That's just what it sounded like from an article I read today.

Curiosity, your one of my favorite people on this board I respect you and think you have the world by the tail man &thats real, so hear me out. Let me tell you Ive owned 2 buisnesses for the last 17 yrs. Ive never been charged with a crime in my fucking life besides fighting.

There is a PC arrest on me lately that says Im a criminal, a very buisy sophisticated, and devious one. I swear on my Lord, my kids and my reputation here with my friends that Im not. Not that Im morally better than someone that has bent the rules Ive just never had to. It doesnt matter the Govt and its GED detective said I was so guess what my career and reputation is tarnished and finished because some quack that works for the govt said so. Im tarred and feathered as a felon no more guns no voting and no more being self employed. The DA refuses to charge me because he knows he will loose but just the accusation will satisfy these corrupt fucks in lew of a conviction or a charge for that matter.

C, Please dont believe everything these corrupt thugs say about others. (Richard Jewel, Trevon Martin) Often they are your friends or faimly whose lives they are destroying. OBTW some of these pharm companies are muslim or minority owned. Just think of the headlines if a huge company like UPS denied some poor imigrant or minority their right to commerce in the good ole USA.

Until you have been a buisness owner you will never know how the target on their back feels or how it can dictate the most basic decisons. This is why PFM is refreshing to hear at times. He cuts through the BS and tell it like it is and how we should act, without the scrutiny of lawyers or govt that serve the same master. I know you will process this and take it for what its worth. This statement is not a shot at you man it just needs to be said and this is the time to do it.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
UPS has to 'forfeit' $40M collected from online pharmacies to end criminal probe?

This doesn't make sense to me. It's essentially a fine being levied without any due process. In essence, it's like an officer pulling you over and saying, "Give me $50 or I'll give you a ticket."

Curiosity

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Curiosity, your one of my favorite people on this board I respect you and think you have the world by the tail man &thats real, so hear me out. Let me tell you Ive owned 2 buisnesses for the last 17 yrs. Ive never been charged with a crime in my fucking life besides fighting.

There is a PC arrest on me lately that says Im a criminal, a very buisy sophisticated, and devious one. I swear on my Lord, my kids and my reputation here with my friends that Im not. Not that Im morally better than someone that has bent the rules Ive just never had to. It doesnt matter the Govt and its GED detective said I was so guess what my career and reputation is tarnished and finished because some quack that works for the govt said so. Im tarred and feathered as a felon no more guns no voting and no more being self employed. The DA refuses to charge me because he knows he will loose but just the accusation will satisfy these corrupt fucks in lew of a conviction or a charge for that matter.

C, Please dont believe everything these corrupt thugs say about others. (Richard Jewel, Trevon Martin) Often they are your friends or faimly whose lives they are destroying. OBTW some of these pharm companies are muslim or minority owned. Just think of the headlines if a huge company like UPS denied some poor imigrant or minority their right to commerce in the good ole USA.

Until you have been a buisness owner you will never know how the target on their back feels or how it can dictate the most basic decisons. This is why PFM is refreshing to hear at times. He cuts through the BS and tell it like it is and how we should act, without the scrutiny of lawyers or govt that serve the same master. I know you will process this and take it for what its worth. This statement is not a shot at you man it just needs to be said and this is the time to do it.

Thanks BGH, your kind words mean a lot to me. The respect is mutual.

I'm not familiar with a PC (probable cause?) warrant, or why such a thing would be issued with no intentions of charging you with a crime. I also don't understand how you could lose your rights to vote, own a gun and own a business without being convicted of a crime. I'm just not familiar with this legal device. However from your story it does sound like another example of the legal system trying to railroad a private citizen and sidestep due process.

I definitely also agree that the government should stay out of the way of business as much as possible, I'm all for free market capitalism, small government, and legalization of many things that are illegal at the moment for no good reason. I think the laws that are in place are sometimes not enforced, and other times they throw the book at certain people or organizations with very little to no evidence, often times ruining innocent peoples lives in the process. I was just reading about this story before I read this post:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/2...ndoors-claim-their-kansas-home-was-illegally/

(for the record I don't read foxnews.com, I just searched to find the story i was reading earlier and thats where I found it.)

Anyway, I hope maybe you have some legal recourse to reverse some of the things that are happening to you, I'd say lawyer up and if they're really fucking with you for no good reason maybe you can make them look like fools in public and get a few bucks out of them.

Curiosity

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I also have no doubt that this is motivated, at least in part, to protect the profits of the US medical pharmaceutical complex. However, I will have to stick to my earlier comment that UPS was warned repeatedly as early as 2003 they couldn't knowingly ship products for illegal pharmacies, and internal documents from the company clearly state that they were well aware that that's what they were doing. As much as I am for legalization of drugs, especially many minimally dangerous medical drugs, the law is the law and I do believe they were aware that they were operating in a very questionable area.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...s-40m-to-end-online-pharmacies-probe/2035647/

Also, the "fine" is a settlement that allows them to avoid having to go to court, although had they gone to court they probably could have avoided being legally held responsible for this, they just didn't want the bad publicity etc.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks BGH, your kind words mean a lot to me. The respect is mutual.

I'm not familiar with a PC (probable cause?) warrant, or why such a thing would be issued with no intentions of charging you with a crime. I also don't understand how you could lose your rights to vote, own a gun and own a business without being convicted of a crime. I'm just not familiar with this legal device. However from your story it does sound like another example of the legal system trying to railroad a private citizen and sidestep due process.

I definitely also agree that the government should stay out of the way of business as much as possible, I'm all for free market capitalism, small government, and legalization of many things that are illegal at the moment for no good reason. I think the laws that are in place are sometimes not enforced, and other times they throw the book at certain people or organizations with very little to no evidence, often times ruining innocent peoples lives in the process. I was just reading about this story before I read this post:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/2...ndoors-claim-their-kansas-home-was-illegally/

(for the record I don't read foxnews.com, I just searched to find the story i was reading earlier and thats where I found it.)

Anyway, I hope maybe you have some legal recourse to reverse some of the things that are happening to you, I'd say lawyer up and if they're really fucking with you for no good reason maybe you can make them look like fools in public and get a few bucks out of them.

Wow! That's some fucked up shit there. Their house was raided just because they bought growing equipment. How long until my house gets raided for buying pins? Bunch of BS!

#TheMatrix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
darn...
I wanted to buy growing equipment and a lab...
for growing crazy amounts of wheat grass in my basement. my work out group loves the stuff. and bigGH. sometimes.... felons are the people I respect the most. they are REAL. your post hit home.