OCD and Tic disorders

djt248

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So approx. 8 months ago my 6 year old began having tics. Hard eye blinking a few times a day. I brushed it off and went on about my business. This continued for a few months and progressively got worse. More frequent, harder blinking, and now he's shrugging his shoulders with it as well. I began researching tics and everything pointed to touretts syndrome. As a father I was crushed. I haven't cried in more than 20 years and broke down like a big baby in front of my wife. We took him to the doctor and were told there's nothing we can do to test him for touretts, he'll just have to be watched for a year. He'll need to have the physical tics and some type of motor tic in that year to be touretts. They ran several other tests on him to rule out other diseases all being negative. I'm now thinking the worst and how bad my child will be affected by this disease. As I continued my research I came across a new type of disease called Pandas. PANDAS is an acronym for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections, a rare disease that usually appears in children. This term describes a hypothesis that there exists a subset of children with rapid onset of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and/or tic disorders and these symptoms are caused by group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal (GABHS) infections.[1] The proposed link between infection and these disorders is that an initial autoimmune reaction to a GABHS infection produces antibodies that continues to interfere with basal ganglia function, causing symptom exacerbations.[2][3]

The PANDAS hypothesis was based on observations in clinical case studies at the US National Institute of Health and in subsequent clinical trials where children appeared to have dramatic and sudden OCD exacerbations and tic disorders following infections.[4] There is supportive evidence for the link between streptococcus infection and onset in some cases of OCD and tics, but proof of causality has remained elusive.[5][6][7] The PANDAS hypothesis is controversial; whether it is a distinct entity differing from other cases of Tourette syndrome (TS)/OCD is debated.[3][8][9][10][11]

PANDAS has not been validated as a disease entity;[4] it is not listed as a diagnosis by the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) or the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). Pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome (PANS) is a 2012 proposal describing another subset of acute-onset OCD cases including "not only disorders potentially associated with a preceding infection, but also acute-onset neuropsychiatric disorders without an apparent environmental precipitant or immune dysfunction".[12]

After reading this I was back to the doctor with my little boy. I was told by the doctor that he would give him some antibiotics and see if it was indeed Pandas. Two weeks later only a few tics. A month later no tics at all.

I thought I would put out the info just in case there were any other parents having a similar issue with their child. Sorry for the long post but I thought it was important and this disease is relatively new.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
OMG thank you for posting this. My son has a mild case of tics. Its totally treatable and frankly a relief that we got him properly diagnosed. Before the diagnosis everyone thought he had ADD or ADHD. Those meds almost lead him to insanity. We put him on an IEP that helps him with his disposition.

Im glad to hear things worked out for you and child.

My respect and thanks again to you for this post and candor with such a personal matter. Good for you.

sfstud33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We were at a presentation by the Brain Balance people who were speaking about tics, adhd, and a bunch of other things. The presentation was free and the testing for your child is about $300. The book is available. The basic premise is that you need balanced left and right hemisphere development in the brain and if the development is not balanced, it leads to these type of symptoms.

Just throwing it out there - we're having our younger teenage daughter tested in the next month or so.

djt248

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good luck sfstud!! Please let us know the outcome.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are any of the other kids in his class doing this too?

djt248

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My pleasure BGhunter. I know its hard to watch your kids suffer. I know it drove my little boy crazy and the tics made his grades suffer. I can only image what my son was going through. He we come home from school and go to his room thinking I was going to be mad at him for making a bad grade on a test. Then as I spoke with him about why he was having such a hard time with his tests he would say, everytime I start to read I have a blink and lose my spot, I'm sorry dad. Then I have to start over and it happens again. I can't do it dad. I said son I love you and it's going to be ok. I'm not a very sentimental person but it broke my heart and I just wanted my little boy to know everything was going to be ok. That's what we are supposed to do as parents. Again it was my pleasure to post this info about Pandas and to share a little of what goes on in my life. Thanks for the replies!!

djt248

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge POB. I've discussed this with co-workers to see if their kids had any similar issues but have only come across two and their kids actually have touretts.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge POB. I've discussed this with co-workers to see if their kids had any similar issues but have only come across two and their kids actually have touretts.

Find out. There is a sociological disorder that causes these types of things. It's scary for sure. Sounds like you really do love your son which means he is going to be just fine.

djt248

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ill do bro and your right I do love my kids. They are the only things that matter to me. Considering I said I'd never have kids or get married. Two best things I've done in my life. Kids change everything for the better and I don't know what I'd do without them.

New Threads