New to the fitness world

Reaction score
Hi guys just introducing myself. I'm about 8 months in to going the gym and living sober. A bit of a back story is my wife and I were heavy alcoholics for around d 12 years and decided to sober up after seeing her mom die from liver failure and me having to go through treatment. We both go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I have been going through a Dr for TRT and have seen some noticeable muscle gain (I'm not looking for a source for gear). the muscle gain on both our bodies is nice but it seems like the fat is taking forever to burn off. One of our friends offered GH which is taken In Low doses and for me seems to have gotten rid of the hard fat but the soft fat is getting to be rough to burn off. Our diet has changed a lot from greasy fried food to fish chicken starch and fresh greens. Any advice? As I've seen on other threads just lay it on me. I have thick skin.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Congratulations on your sobriety and making the positive decision to get in the gym.

What does your training setup look like? How many calories are you eating each day? What is the height and weight of you and your wife?

These are questions that can help people here give you better answers.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Congratulations on your sobriety and making the positive decision to get in the gym.

What does your training setup look like? How many calories are you eating each day? What is the height and weight of you and your wife?

These are questions that can help people here give you bettr answers.

Reaction score

Thank you it has been tough but the results we are seeing are getting addicting for us plus we feel a lot better. I am 225 5’ 11” she is 175 5’ 7”.As far as calorie counting we haven’t done that yet. I’ve asked a few people and I get mixed answers. The fact that we home cook a lot more and I take left over dinner to work and don’t eat out very much is helping. I know we are losing weight due to our clothes fitting looser and the belt size is going down for me. It just seems like the belly fat for me is extremely stubborn and for her it’s her hips and thighs she is struggling with. As far as our workout I do more lifting and a little bit of cardio and she mixes cardio with lifting with me here and there. You all seem to have a lot of great information to share. And I love reading the shit talking. So I figured at the risk of catching some shit from guys I would ask for some opinions. We stay to ourselves at the gym since we can be pretty shy.

Also I’m not sure why I have 2 replies above. It seems like this site doesn’t like the android operating system. I got on my work tablet which is IOS. Would there be anything that would help to fix that since my personal phone is a android?

turkey_sandwich

Reaction score
8 months in to going the gym and living sober
congrats on the positive changes you've made in your life.

calorie counting we haven’t done that yet.
You can't improve what you don't measure.”

That may work for some. It does not work for me. I want to know exactly what I'm doing so that I can make adjustments as needed.

seems like the belly fat for me is extremely stubborn
first on, last off.
patience is in order. the same amount of time you used getting out of shape it is reasonable that it could take as much time getting back into shape.

I do more lifting
lay out a full week. exactly what are you doing. be detailed. sets, reps, weight, movements.

Myfitnesspal or Cronomenter
Digital Food scale from amazon

spend one week weighing and measuring all food and drink. log the information into the app. don't make any changes just do what you've been doing.

Once a week has gone by and we have some baseline information we can make a plan from there.

weigh yourself every morning after restroom. enter this data into MFP as well. we'll need to see the trend.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to UGB and congrats for having a new plan for your life.

Now get on that grind and start reaping the benefits.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground, and congratulations on you and your wife's sobriety. 🤩🤩🤩

Reaction score
congrats on the positive changes you've made in your life.

You can't improve what you don't measure.”

That may work for some. It does not work for me. I want to know exactly what I'm doing so that I can make adjustments as needed.

first on, last off.
patience is in order. the same amount of time you used getting out of shape it is reasonable that it could take as much time getting back into shape.

lay out a full week. exactly what are you doing. be detailed. sets, reps, weight, movements.

Myfitnesspal or Cronomenter
Digital Food scale from amazon

spend one week weighing and measuring all food and drink. log the information into the app. don't make any changes just do what you've been doing.

Once a week has gone by and we have some baseline information we can make a plan from there.

weigh yourself every morning after restroom. enter this data into MFP as well. we'll need to see the trend.
I just bought a scale off Amazon. I will start weighing and calorie counting tomorrow. As far as the gym I do upper body one day then lower next and I try to incorporate core as well.

Upper body

Bench press 4 sets
155lbs of 10
165lbs of 8
175lbs of 6
185lbs of 4
1 rep max was 205 on my best day

Bicep curls
25lbs of 10
30lbs of 8
35lbs of 6
40lbs of 4

Shoulder press
35lbs of 10
40lbs of 8
45lbs 6
50lbs of 4

Shrugs
4 of 20 at 50lbs

Back really depends on the machine or if I'm doing Tbar

4 sets of 20 for core situps if time allows we do neglect core a bit too much

Squats
185lbs of 10
205lbs of 8
215lbs of 6
225lbs of 4
1 rep max 245 I feel like I can do more though

Glute bridges
2 sets of 15 at 90
2 sets of 15 at 100

Calves machine
4 sets of 20 at 55

Hamstring curls depends on the machine up to 120 lbs from 10-4 reps with around 10lbs increases

Then we use the hip abducter for inner and outer thighs and that depends on the machine as well.

I did just switch over from lighter weight and more reps to lower reps and more weight. Let me know if you see anything I could fix with that routine. Thank you for explaining everything too.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Welcome to the ug Congratulations on your sobriety!! I made 6 years this year !!!
That's awesome! Congratulations! We are excited to have started this new journey! It's always nice remembering what happened the night before and knowing where my money went.

Reaction score
That's awesome! Congratulations! We are excited to have started this new journey! It's always nice remembering what happened the night before and knowing where my money went.

Lol 😂 absolutely I’ve saved so much since being sober !!! Glad y’all made it takes alot to get clean had a lot ups an downs an Relapses!!!

Reaction score
Wait longer to add GH to your regimen.

Do more cardio, improve your diet, patience and perseverance will take you to your goal.
The cardio thing sucks but the wife has been on me to do it. I've been starting to add it to the workout routine. As far as the GH why do you feel I should wait? Just curious. I would like to get as much information as possible from you guys.

Beti ona

Reaction score
The cardio thing sucks but the wife has been on me to do it. I've been starting to add it to the workout routine. As far as the GH why do you feel I should wait? Just curious. I would like to get as much information as possible from you guys.

You don't want to drop all your weapons when the battle starts and be naked the rest of the way.

And not having the support of drugs will make you learn to walk without crutches, making you more disciplined and meticulous with diet, training and cardio.

Lastly, for exclusive fat loss, I would recommend DNP and not GH.

Rickt

Elite
Reaction score
Ok so you are getting plenty of advice. Nothing wrong with your phone. Some people like things you said so quote it as they liked it but see no reason to chat. I'm not smart enough to quote so I just talk till my typing finger is sore.
Won't give u weight loss advice you got enough of that.
I just want to add that your previous lifestyle took years of doing the same thing to destroy your bodies. Changing to healthy can take years to undo it.
Don't give up don't yo yo.
Don't go back to drinking. Do tell each other how good you look.
Hi

Reaction score
Ok so you are getting plenty of advice. Nothing wrong with your phone. Some people like things you said so quote it as they liked it but see no reason to chat. I'm not smart enough to quote so I just talk till my typing finger is sore.
Won't give u weight loss advice you got enough of that.
I just want to add that your previous lifestyle took years of doing the same thing to destroy your bodies. Changing to healthy can take years to undo it.
Don't give up don't yo yo.
Don't go back to drinking. Do tell each other how good you look.
Hi
The drinking is done had plenty of relapses last year. Health is a huge priority. As far as the phone issue I'm using the tapatalk and it is working a lot better.

New Threads