What's Your Definition of Heavy?.?.?

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
It's all relative. Heavy compared to what? Other men in general? The rest of you guys? Bodybuilders my size. Men my age? Powerlifters? For some of these the answer is I always train heavy AF, for some of these not so much.

Therefore, it's relativity to you is all that matters.

Reaction score
what is your definition?
If you can't get a rep or two out of it, it's too heavy for me. By performing the correct actions to the last feasible rep, you may establish the correct weight. Let's assume you wanted to do three sets of bench press with a rep range of 7-10, and you got 12 reps on the first set. This implies you'll have to up the weight the next time. If you got less, then reduce the weight.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
If you can't get a rep or two out of it, it's too heavy for me. By performing the correct actions to the last feasible rep, you may establish the correct weight. Let's assume you wanted to do three sets of bench press with a rep range of 7-10, and you got 12 reps on the first set. This implies you'll have to up the weight the next time. If you got less, then reduce the weight.
If your aiming for rep range 7-10 and got 12 I would assume you can’t count

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Hi, mate. This really varies from individual to individual. Only you know this because it will depend on your lifting capacity. It's true that there is a maximum weight for each body.

I realize that everyone's definition of "heavy" may be different. The question I posed is... what is your definition of heavy?

I've stated in more than 1 post what my interoperation of the word "heavy" means to me. I want to know what everyone else thought.

Reaction score
I realize that everyone's definition of "heavy" may be different. The question I posed is... what is your definition of heavy?

I've stated in more than 1 post what my interoperation of the word "heavy" means to me. I want to know what everyone else thought.
If you can't get a rep or two out of it, it's too heavy for me. By performing the correct actions to the last feasible rep, you may establish the correct weight. Let's assume you wanted to do three sets of bench press with a rep range of 7-10, and you've realized you can actually do 12 reps on the first set. This implies you'll have to up the weight the next time. If you got less, then reduce the weight.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Putting the weight plates away after your set. For some unknown reason, those suns'a'bitches get HEAVY then!

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Putting the weight plates away after your set. For some unknown reason, those suns'a'bitches get HEAVY then!
Or putting that first set of 45s on for the day. Amazing how much lighter they get after a couple sets in.

Reactions: CJ

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
I started out only being able to lift 50 lbs, even on bench press. It was pathetic.

After a year, I considered anything 100 lbs or over to be a heavy lift.

Now days, I consider anything over 200 lbs to be a heavy lift.

In the future, I'm sure that it will change to 300 and then eventually 400.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
90% or above some ones 1RM is heavy , if thats 100 or 600 for that person , that's fucking heavy. For me personally I gota get the head rush , like a near max dead lift and ya set it down and sounds sort of turn into a buzz and the room fades away a bit and you can hear your heart beat in your head for a few seconds .... thats when I know it was heavy.

Btcowboy

Reaction score
90% or above some ones 1RM is heavy , if thats 100 or 600 for that person , that's fucking heavy. For me personally I gota get the head rush , like a near max dead lift and ya set it down and sounds sort of turn into a buzz and the room fades away a bit and you can hear your heart beat in your head for a few seconds .... thats when I know it was heavy.
Yeah have had room spin a bit on DL, got a nose bleed on a squat

Reaction score
IMHO. 1,800lbs or you don't lift heavy. Lol. Or roughly a 600+ squat, 400+ bench and 700+ dead.

If you're talking outside of the powerlifting world those numbers drop significantly. Lol. Probably a 400+ squat, 300+ bench and 500+ deadlift is considered heavy to the average Joe.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
There's no lb value to "heavy" I call 'heavy" as whatever is between 1-3 reps at 100% effort

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CJ