Delt injury & how to prevent them ... my theory, anyway

noteven

Reaction score
As I am sure everyone knows, The shoulders are probably the easiest of joints to injure. Mainly because they are so multi angular in movement. I have been lifting practically my whole life and I have made the same mistakes everyone else has. Usually injuries come from lifting to heavy to fast and that usually prompts bad form which adds to the ease of injuring the joint. The way I work shoulders now, at least for lateral movements, is to only use a weight that I can hold for a second with good form at the top of the movement. example ... DB Front Raise. Raise the weight in front of you, hold the weight for a second (actually freeze in that position) and then let it down slow. By going no heavier then a weight you can hold at the top keeps you from tearing anything by going to heavy. That isometric hold also strengthens the tendon at the top of the movement. Of course going slow on the negative, resisting gravity on the way down is just as effective but safer then going with too heavy of a weight. Keep in mind when lifting that muscle strength can and often does exceed the strength of the ligaments and the danger is not giving the tendons and ligaments enough time to adapt to the added stress. That isometric hold at the top becomes your guide on how much you should be lifting safely. Hope I am making sense. All comments are welcome.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It makes perfect sense. I have always shot for good form in all lifts. Not just to prevent injuries but to increase true strength and endurance.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great post, practical technique.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I preach good form when asked by someone how to execute a movement. I also have had the fuked up shoulders from just that, sloppy form+heavy weight=disaster. I see, we all see, folks at the gym using some seriously shitty form, with some heavy weight. I want to walk up and tell them the proper way to execute the lift, because I know! through experience and injury, I fuking know! But I don't, why? do you think ahh let them fuk themselves up that will teach them, or do you walk over like a know it all and tell them how it's done. In most cases it's a young guy who would think your a dick for getting up in their business. So I will work out and not say anything, and sure as shit they're rubbing their shoulder and complaining, or you never see them at the gym again. So what do you do?

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I preach good form when asked by someone how to execute a movement. I also have had the fuked up shoulders from just that, sloppy form+heavy weight=disaster. I see, we all see, folks at the gym using some seriously shitty form, with some heavy weight. I want to walk up and tell them the proper way to execute the lift, because I know! through experience and injury, I fuking know! But I don't, why? do you think ahh let them fuk themselves up that will teach them, or do you walk over like a know it all and tell them how it's done. In most cases it's a young guy who would think your a dick for getting up in their business. So I will work out and not say anything, and sure as shit they're rubbing their shoulder and complaining, or you never see them at the gym again. So what do you do?

That's a tough one Stone I think most people are not receptive to advice at the gym we've all been that know it all at some point, at least I have. I watched a kid (summer timer HS kid) a few years ago doing 225 for reps with no spotter. He looked like he could do it but I noticed him slinging the bells around earlier and saw in reality he wasn't that strong. I watched him and sure enough he got in trouble... I went over there and on the last one he was pushing I put 2 fingers out and gave him some help. He got so pissed at me and yelled "I had it". So I left him alone 3 weeks later he dropped the bar on his chest with 305 and boy he was stuck. I went over there and pulled it off him again. He didn't even say thanks. Didn't matter I saved his dumb ass.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Most younger guys hurt their shoulders because they don't know how to bench correctly. They either flare their elbows way too much and or don't know how to pin their shoulder blades back against the bench. The other most common exercises to duck the shoulders up is behind the neck presses and Goin to heavy on db flies. Db pullovers are terrible on the shoulders also. Hate those.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
^^^^Yeah, I hurt myself doing flys and swore Id never do them again. Couldn't bench for quite a while after that. Now I do them properly and slow. One of my favorite lifts now.

noteven

Reaction score
Great replies. I quite trying to give pointers at the gym along time ago. People actually get offended when you try to help, LOL! I only help now if some one asks and that is almost never. Best you can do is use good form and hope they will catch on. Most people learn shitty form by watching someone else use shitty form. The misconception is that lifting weights is a no brainer when the fact is lifting is an on going learning experience from lifting technique to diet and resting. Getting enough rest is my down fall ... one of those things where I don't always practice what I preach.