New guy from the bluegrass state

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I’ve been reading through some of the posts and information on this forum and decided i should make an intro post. I’m 30 yrs old and fairly new to lifting. I started back in April of this year to just lose weight. I weighed 230 lbs and felt like a pile of shit. I decided i would try weight lifting so I found a decent workout app to guide me and started hitting the gym at 5:00 am every morning and haven’t stopped since. I’m down to 187 now and I’m finding that my gym motivation is great but I’m struggling with finding a diet that I can stick with. I’ve been on Keto a good part of the time but i fell off the wagon and i can’t seem to get back on again. Anyway that pretty much sums me up. I’ve got a long way to go before my body fat % is where it needs to be but I’m headed in the right direction and I’m very excited to be a part of this group and learn from some experienced lifters.

Reaction score
Sounds like you have made tremendous success already. Keto is great but if you are having a hard time you can modify it a bit and just don't eat anything white (sugar, bread ...) or at least that is my doctors recommendation. Get your blood work done and if you have any deficiencies or not at optimum levels consider supplementation. Any questions just ask.

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome.

The trouble you're having is looking for a diet. The best thing to do is learn to eat right, run your protein high and count your calories to get a feel for it. It eliminates the diet search.

It sounds like you have done well so far, it's just time to tighten it down.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Welcome.

great progress so far.

How tall are you?

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
double post

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on your life change. Very impressive. Keep it up! There are lots of ways to eat to acheive your goals. I drop fat pretty easily so Im probably the wrong guy to give advice but Ive had great success cutting weight and maintaining muscle using a time window eating protocal. A ten hour window seems to work very well for me and I feel no energy issues with that plan.

But someone with more diet knowledge will be along shortly. Again, welcome.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Jin beat me to the key question. Also if you’re feeling brave enough, post a photo of your build. That’ll give everyone some more direction when providing advice.

90% of it will be consistency. A diet that fits your normal taste will make you more likely to continue to follow it.

Slowly work at dropping any high calorie food for lower calorie options. I.e if you’re a meat and potatoes guy, don’t start eating kale and tofu, just drop the sour cream and butter.

Meal prep - it’s the only way to control what pure eating.

Use MyFitnessPal and HappyScale.

Welcome and good luck!

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome, and congrats on the weight loss!

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys. I’m 5’10” and and fairly athletic just fell victim to the dad bod over the years. I’ll post a couple pics.

As for me looking for a diet that makes a lot of sense and I haven’t really thought of it like that. You see so much shit on Social media about the right diet and this and that it kinda makes you forget that at the end of the day it’s all about the calorie deficit and not eating garbage.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
You’re getting into the fun part. Every 5 pounds will start making a big difference. I’d put you around 23-25% BF. Already rocking some triceps!

Meal prep and my fitnessPal, stay consistent for the next 4-6 months and you’ll be set. Don’t worry about EC or anything to extreme, just make it a lifestyle change. If you went extreme you could finish the rest in 3 months but it’s not really worth it.

Once you get to apx. 16% then your body will resist and you’ll have to use tricks to push it lower. This was something I didn’t understand. Above that line your body wants to lose the weight so all you have to do is control your diet and literally move more.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Great progress and welcome! Don't pay attention to the fad diets, keep it simple. Cals in/cals out. Track your macros and keep in a deficit. Train hard. As mentioned before make your diet something sustainable. Good luck!

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. Solid advice and I’ll keep bustin ass. Chillinlow i like that avatar “gotta hustle for that muscle” haha

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome KY!!!!!!!!! I have family there!!! Keep kicking ass...looks like you been doing it!!!:)

New Threads