Nerdy hobby

Reaction score
I have an all out war on this with the kids, it’s very competitive. Gets the kids walking miles though

My kids and I have gamed together a lot over the years. I think we started on Clash of Clans, then Clash Royale, and Pokemon Go, this past year it has been Fortnite, which has probably been the most fun out of all of it. I was psyched when my kids got into a 1st person shooter game, and my 14 yr old daughter is pretty badass at it. She is way better than me now.

Also their friends think I'm cool because I play games with all of them, and that is win in my book. My daughter came home from school one day and was like "Oh my god dad ANOTHER one of my friends thinks you are cool." I joke with my wife that I have a following of middle school kids. She's a little jealous lol.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Use to collect stamps and sports cards..... Till i really found out my family was whiskey tango poooor and the sold them all, withought telling me.... We dont speak much theze days.... :)

Reactions: Jin

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
They still make those things? Baseball cards that is???

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Horror. I have tons of collectibles, attend conventions. I was fortunate enough to meet Sid Haig last year before he died. I actually hung out with him and Tony Todd together. My favorite area of interest is 80's slasher flicks. I can go on and on about it.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Jordan shoes, watches and t-shirts. Still have a bunch of basketball cards from when I was younger. Also Chicago bears stuff and squirrels (not actual living squirrels) I collect.

Reaction score
Horror. I have tons of collectibles, attend conventions. I was fortunate enough to meet Sid Haig last year before he died. I actually hung out with him and Tony Todd together. My favorite area of interest is 80's slasher flicks. I can go on and on about it.

That's cool man I have a bunch of friends into horror. Did you like Midsommar? I think that was the last one I saw in theaters before covid.

Reaction score
Jordan shoes, watches and t-shirts. Still have a bunch of basketball cards from when I was younger. Also Chicago bears stuff and squirrels (not actual living squirrels) I collect.

Bobby, can you elaborate on this squirrel collection? I'm a bit curious to know what's going on here from a psychoanalytic perspective.

They are very cute btw.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Bobby, can you elaborate on this squirrel collection? I'm a bit curious to know what's going on here from a psychoanalytic perspective.

They are very cute btw.

My parents use to take me to Toronto cause they have friends there and they have black squirrels all over the place that are very domesticated. They come up to you so you can feed them and run up to you when your walking past. Then there was an inside joke between me and a few friends about secret squirrling it (nothing gay drug related) then I had a company named with squirrel in it and have 2 squirrel tattoos of me as a squirrel handing my wife as a squirrel my acron. I collect squirrel figures lawn things stuffed animal squirrels glass squirrels have a bunch all over the place I had a lot more but lost along the way moving so many times.

Just turned into my good luck animal.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
That's cool man I have a bunch of friends into horror. Did you like Midsommar? I think that was the last one I saw in theaters before covid.

Somehow I missed that one. I just watched the trailer. It looks wild. I am going to have to check it out.

Reaction score
I'm not saying any of this is true or pertains to y'all but

Psychologists have often taken a Freudian perspective when describing why people collect.[6] They highlight the controlling and impulsive dark side to collecting, the need for people to have "an object of desire." This desire, and hence the innate propensity to collect, begins at birth. The infant first desires the emotional and physical comfort of the nourishing breast, then the familiar baby blanket the child clings to for comfort and security. Stuffed animals, favorite toys are taken to bed and provide the emotional security needed to fall asleep. A sense of ownership and control is facilitated through possession of these items for the vulnerable child.[6] Freud himself took a more extreme position on the origins of collecting. Not surprisingly, he postulated that all collecting stems from unresolved toilet training conflict. Freud took the stance that the loss of bowel control was a traumatic experience, and the product from the bowels was disgusting and frightening to the child. Therefore, the collector is trying to gain back control of their bowels as well as their "possessions" which were long flushed down the toilet.[3] Where Freud linked object fixation to the anal-retentive stage in childhood, Muensterberger, in his perspective paper "Unruly Passion" believes collecting to be a "need-driven compensatory behavior where every new object effectively gives the notion of fantasized omnipotence." Jung had his own theories about why people become collectors. He touted the influence of archetypes on behavior. These universal symbols are embedded in what he termed our collective unconscious. Using this logic, collecting and completing sets have as their archetypal antecedents the collecting of "nuts and berries" once needed for survival by our early ancestors.[3][7

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Mostly everything is psychological.

I collect Jordans because I was not able to get pairs a lot of times as a child and the one pair I got I remember my dad let me go to school late so he can take me to the mall and I can buy them when they came out and I would be the first kid in school to have them. So when I got older and was able to afford them I started buying up all the retro ones that reminded me of my childhood and the ones I was not able to get.

Same with watches just remember from my childhood that everyone that did ok in life always had a nice watch and that stuck out to me so when I was finally able to afford one I purchased it.

Reaction score

I collect Jordans because I was not able to get pairs a lot of times as a child and the one pair I got I remember my dad let me go to school late so he can take me to the mall and I can buy them when they came out and I would be the first kid in school to have them. So when I got older and was able to afford them I started buying up all the retro ones that reminded me of my childhood and the ones I was not able to get.

Same with watches just remember from my childhood that everyone that did ok in life always had a nice watch and that stuck out to me so when I was finally able to afford one I purchased it.

Man I have the coolest pair of custom jordans I bought from Nike. Did you know you can custom design their shoes on their website with whatever color combination you want? Pull out the credit card....lol

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score

Same with Jordans - I grew up watching Jordan play and he remains one of my main sports idols today (even in all of his asshole-ish glory) - I try and pick up a pair of the retro's when I can. I also use an old beat up pair of retro's in the gym because I like the flat sole and they are wider/more stable than Converse.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Man I have the coolest pair of custom jordans I bought from Nike. Did you know you can custom design their shoes on their website with whatever color combination you want? Pull out the credit card....lol

I have a cool pair of custom made Jordans too! I always wanted a pair when I was younger but could not afford them at the time.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Same with Jordans - I grew up watching Jordan play and he remains one of my main sports idols today (even in all of his asshole-ish glory) - I try and pick up a pair of the retro's when I can. I also use an old beat up pair of retro's in the gym because I like the flat sole and they are wider/more stable than Converse.

I still remember the riots in Chicago after they won the championships my dad use to put me in a car and drive me around and honk and watch the chaos it was pretty cool.

That documentary on ESPN and NETFLIX showed me a lot of shit I did not know cause I was too little to pay attention too but now that I know we could of won a few more I am pissed.

The FLU GAME 12'S were the ones my dad had me be late for school for and took me to buy I got them again when they came out and got my son a pair as well when he was born.