Georgia

Eating Over Maintenance

I'm not a very big guy so I don't require a butt load of calories. I am floating around 175 right now. 5'10 or so and not fat (Idk my %).

I feel like I got my diet dialed right in and have been steady climbing without any falling back in weight.

My question is does it matter if my maintenance is around 2500 and instead of eating 3000 a week I eat 3500 or 4000 calories?

Is the reason you DON'T want to eat too much is because obviously the body stores all the excess as fat? Will the muscle gain be there with the size gain?

Eating 1k or 1,500 over maintenance is good or bad for bulking? GO!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 550 Posts

Re: Eating Over Maintenance

Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
    Eating 1k or 1,500 over maintenance is good or bad for bulking? GO!
    More calories > Less calories

But this depends on how easily you lose fat and whether or not you even care if you carry extra fat. Personally fat sticks to my ****ing body and I feel sluggish once I'm over 16%bf. But others once they stop force feeding themselves the fat just slides off *cough* PFM *Cough* Cashout *Cough* Azog

For me it's hell on earth to get to 8%bf so I stay conservative with the calls, even during a bulk, knowing that if I put on too much fat that might mean a 4month cut from 16%-8%bf just so I can bulk again.
    I <3 My Source

Thanks

The variables and genetics come into play. Homeostasis is always going to be a factor. Meal timing as much as what I eat at what time(s) determines how much mass I keep while keeping lean.

Just don't make any sudden 1k calorie jumps (you like me we are both skinny guys so I know you better than you think). Cut the simple sugars from late in the day meals like dinner #1 & #2. Eat a protein/fat only dinner a couple times a week. Go slow and monitor how you look rather than weighing yourself.
    Thugs
    Don't
    Matter

Thanks

I add 200-300 at a time. I expect about 1lb per week. Sometimes its more, with a touch of fat. If that is the case, I stick that cal total out for another week and I usually stay the same weight, but lose the fat. Works for me, and most importantly (for me) keeps me nice and lean. I have gained at least 7lbs IN PCT. I am still pretty damn lean. 5iu of Rips may be a major factor in my experiences. My diet is 100% clean. The only processed things going into me are whey protein and Greek yogurt. I am nuts, I even make my own sodium free hot sauce...

Thanks

Add Splenda to the list of processed things. Maybe someday I will be strict enough to cut it out, but not right now...

Fallen Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,726 Times in 3,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Azog View Post
    Add Splenda to the list of processed things. Maybe someday I will be strict enough to cut it out, but not right now...
    Use Stevia And the real stevia!
    [SIZE=2][B][FONT=&amp][B]Peace Out..............Have a Beautiful Life........................See You On the Other-side!!!![/B][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

Thanks

Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
    Use Stevia And the real stevia!
    I have and it kinda tastes shitty lol. Also, I can order bulk Splenda powder thru our restaurants. I am a cheap skate. I pilfer everything I can from the restaurants!

Thanks

Personally, I make changes at 500 calorie intervals. To answer your question directly, yes. When I am trying to gain, I will add 1,000+ over maintenance.

Like PFM said, this is not a one size fits all game and everyone is a little different. The best gauge is the mirror.....and for me the waist line.

Thanks

I like to get fat when I bulk. I was painfully skinny for too long so I'd rather have that bloated bulky look year round. Could give a **** less about abs

Fallen Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,726 Times in 3,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Azog View Post
    I have and it kinda tastes shitty lol. Also, I can order bulk Splenda powder thru our restaurants. I am a cheap skate. I pilfer everything I can from the restaurants!
    lol, I would also! Thought Tues & Wed were late nights
    [SIZE=2][B][FONT=&amp][B]Peace Out..............Have a Beautiful Life........................See You On the Other-side!!!![/B][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]