Considerations for lifters with Down's Syndrome

OldeBull1

Reaction score
Serious question here. Forgive me for asking this in a place of ignorance, my intent is to learn.

A young man at my gym had asked me for a few pointers. I gave him some general information. It occurred to me, I know nothing about any training considerations regarding Down's Syndrome. A Google search mentioned they often experience joint hypermobilty (so avoid extreme ranges of motion). Any other cautions, considerations, or tips to pass on to him?
Kid is in his early 20s, no specific sport or fitness goals.
Thanks for any input or directions you could point me towards.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I know strength training is good for Down Syndrome there are a few sites that list exercises that work but all mention barbells , dbs and resistance training.

First one is a quick read but it mentions strength training 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps with 1 min rest between sets and swapping exercises, so I dont see why other rep and set schemes wouldnt work.

This is a quick vid about a Down Syndrome Bodybuilder

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this all night. Bless you.

Little history about me. I come from a family with more than a few folks with special needs. One of my fathers cousins lived with us for years until he passed away , as it was told to me , his father was drunk one day and "beat him simple" left him with the mind of a 10 year old.

My mothers sister had Cerebral Palsy , signs of Down's and would have horrible seizures , she passed away at 58 was basically a 6 yr old that played with toys n watched cartoons.

Our oldest son has Asperger's Syndrome , which is high functioning autism.

My Grandmother seeing how society and even their own families treated folks like this enraged her to no end.

She started a place in Fair Lawn nj , called The Fair Lawn Opportunity Center , where folks with special needs can learn skills , get transportation , interact and get jobs.

When I see folks reach out to the differently abled or those that might communicate in ways other than we do , it chokes me up and it makes me smile.

I don't know if you have much experience with special needs folks or Down's , people are people and its hard for them to make friends or to find a place in a social hierarchy if you will and fit in with a crowd.

Do not be surprised if this gentleman gravitates toward you now and becomes your buddy. Expect a lot of big smiles , maybe some hugs.

Good Luck , and thank you for seeing him. Too many people choose to look past those members of society that are different, but you saw him and that means the world.

Little reading for ya that might help some

New Threads