FSA Eligible Items

Reaction score
To those of you that have an FSA/HSA/HRA available thru your employer, Id suggest you take advantage. I've been using my FSA for a few years now and it helps out a lot. It is removed from your paycheck pretax and most times the full amount is available to use on the first day of plan activation. This doesn't apply to child care tho. Some items you will need a letter of medical necessity from your dr but if only a recommendation is needed, then you will be surprised at how many things they will write recommendations for, as long as it applies to one/some of your health conditions.

Here are a few things that I've been buying and being reimbursed for. I'm sure there's more but its all I can think of currently. Here is a link to use for info.

FSA Store List

online blood tests/health screenings
iso alcohol and wipes
insulin pins/needles/syringes
BAC/reconstitution water
epsom salt
glucosamine
chondroitin
weight scale
glucose meter and supplies
blood pressure monitor
chiropractor
copayments
medications
hospital and dental bills
Dexa scan (haven't used yet)
eye drops
fuel expenses for travel to and from medical care
glasses
ibuprofen

Reaction score
To those of you that have an FSA/HSA/HRA available thru your employer, Id suggest you take advantage. I've been using my FSA for a few years now and it helps out a lot. It is removed from your paycheck pretax and most times the full amount is available to use on the first day of plan activation. This doesn't apply to child care tho. Some items you will need a letter of medical necessity from your dr but if only a recommendation is needed, then you will be surprised at how many things they will write recommendations for, as long as it applies to one/some of your health conditions.

Here are a few things that I've been buying and being reimbursed for. I'm sure there's more but its all I can think of currently. Here is a link to use for info.

FSA Store List

online blood tests/health screenings
iso alcohol and wipes
insulin pins/needles/syringes
BAC/reconstitution water
epsom salt
glucosamine
chondroitin
weight scale
glucose meter and supplies
blood pressure monitor
chiropractor
copayments
medications
hospital and dental bills
Dexa scan (haven't used yet)
eye drops
fuel expenses for travel to and from medical care
glasses
ibuprofen
I like the HSA better than FSA because if you have any balance leftover it carries to the next year. With most FSA, you lose it if not used by I believe the end of the following February. That plus my employer automatically puts 2K into my HSA every year.

Something that really irked me though is that I recently found they don't cover D3. That makes no sense to me considering some of the stuff that is covered which seems to have no medical benefit at all.

Reaction score
I like the HSA better than FSA because if you have any balance leftover it carries to the next year. With most FSA, you lose it if not used by I believe the end of the following February. That plus my employer automatically puts 2K into my HSA every year.

Something that really irked me though is that I recently found they don't cover D3. That makes no sense to me considering some of the stuff that is covered which seems to have no medical benefit at all.
Shit that sounds awesome. You are correct in he FSA doesn't roll over. I lost about 600 one of my first years. So you get 2k in addition to your own funds or just straight up 2k for free?

Reaction score
Shit that sounds awesome. You are correct in he FSA doesn't roll over. I lost about 600 one of my first years. So you get 2k in addition to your own funds or just straight up 2k for free?
2K added to whatever I put into the HSA. There is a caveat though. This is an incentive to choose a certain type of insurance which has a higher deductible but is otherwise fine.

When I originally signed up I had my wife and myself on it and it was pretty high. Still high on my own now at 4K but that 2K the employer gives pretty much offsets (still married but wife got a better insurance deal with her new job).

Every time I look at those plans, they all have what seem like major differences but for myself at my age it really doesn't matter which one I pick.

Reaction score
2K added to whatever I put into the HSA. There is a caveat though. This is an incentive to choose a certain type of insurance which has a higher deductible but is otherwise fine.

When I originally signed up I had my wife and myself on it and it was pretty high. Still high on my own now at 4K but that 2K the employer gives pretty much offsets (still married but wife got a better insurance deal with her new job).

Every time I look at those plans, they all have what seem like major differences but for myself at my age it really doesn't matter which one I pick.
Man that's pretty sweet tho. Id love to have an extra 2k each year lol. The max this year for the FSA is 3050. Not sure if its different for other programs. I've really been stoked on it recently to pay for all my blood tests. I can plan one every 8 weeks now and keep tabs on what's going on.

Reaction score
Man that's pretty sweet tho. Id love to have an extra 2k each year lol. The max this year for the FSA is 3050. Not sure if its different for other programs. I've really been stoked on it recently to pay for all my blood tests. I can plan one every 8 weeks now and keep tabs on what's going on.
Max may be higher with HSA but I believe you can have both an FSA and an HSA.

Reaction score
Max may be higher with HSA but I believe you can have both an FSA and an HSA.
Generally no you cannot have both an FSA and HSA. HSA is definitely better for my family. I max mine out every year. My kids also get sick and injured enough to deplete it every year. One day it will finally carry over.

Also it comes with tax benefits. If you have access to it, definitely take advantage of it.

New Threads