New to competition and want to compete

GymGod

Reaction score
I want to enter a bodybuilding show but I have no idea where to even start. I’ve found one a few hours away from me but the thing is how do I prepare? Like how do I know what poses to do? Or what poses they’ll ask me to do? Will they drug test me? Etc etc

MrBafner

Reaction score
Most federations will offer a free posing class prior to the show, some federations have regular posing classes.
Best bet if you don't know any poses is to get a coach for a while that can help you.
As for testing, not all federations test, some will and usually either random or the winning competitors.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
You don't even know what the basic mandatory poses are and you want to compete?
Interesting.
Where is your current physique at? Height/weight/bodyfat %
What class?
Men's physique, classic physique, women's figure, 212 or Open?
Best of luck.

Charger69

Reaction score
I want to enter a bodybuilding show but I have no idea where to even start. I’ve found one a few hours away from me but the thing is how do I prepare? Like how do I know what poses to do? Or what poses they’ll ask me to do? Will they drug test me? Etc etc

Drug testing is only for natural. Go on you tube and search posing for bodybuilding. There are some good basic ones.
You need to know your body and how to hide weaknesses and show your strengths.

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
1. Hire a good coach, preferably local to you
2. Choose a federation (natty or untested)
3. Choose a comp
4. Choose a division (know your weight limits, mandatory poses, routine if you have to do one etc)
5. Get a posing coach

GymGod

Reaction score
Most federations will offer a free posing class prior to the show, some federations have regular posing classes.
Best bet if you don't know any poses is to get a coach for a while that can help you.
As for testing, not all federations test, some will and usually either random or the winning competitors.

I can’t afford a coach right now but thanks for the info I’ll check it out

1bigun11

Elite
Reaction score
I can’t afford a coach right now but thanks for the info I’ll check it out

You don't need to hire a coach. LOTS of bodybuilders coach themselves. You have a brain, a mirror, and you know your body, otherwise you would not have progressed to the point of considering competition. Start by attending a small "local" type show, and go to the prejudging and just watch. You will learn more from going to the pre-judging than by going to the night show. These are not national level competitors--you will see quite a mix between average looking and very very good, and it will help your nerves knowing that while you may not be the best on stage, you definitely won't be the worse.

If you are serious about entering a competition start a thread here and post some pictures. The people here will be happy to help you.

Charger69

Reaction score
You don't need to hire a coach. LOTS of bodybuilders coach themselves. You have a brain, a mirror, and you know your body, otherwise you would not have progressed to the point of considering competition. Start by attending a small "local" type show, and go to the prejudging and just watch. You will learn more from going to the pre-judging than by going to the night show. These are not national level competitors--you will see quite a mix between average looking and very very good, and it will help your nerves knowing that while you may not be the best on stage, you definitely won't be the worse.

If you are serious about entering a competition start a thread here and post some pictures. The people here will be happy to help you.

There are some pretty good posing instructions however you really need someone with experience prior to your first contest. There are so many details that an inexperienced person just will not pick up. Moving something so little can have a huge effect. I have been competing for 9 years and I still have people provide feedback. I have even totally altered the poses to get the best look I can.

GymGod

Reaction score

Appreciate it brother, I googled the local federation and had a number I called and that’s what he said go watch one first and you’ll get all your answers then. I’m super self conscious even though it’s odd because I want to try and compete, I feel it’s different posting pictures online when people can possibly make you feel bad about yourself and discourage you. Also I don’t want to give away my privacy because of tattoos.

GymGod

Reaction score
There are some pretty good posing instructions however you really need someone with experience prior to your first contest. There are so many details that an inexperienced person just will not pick up. Moving something so little can have a huge effect. I have been competing for 9 years and I still have people provide feedback. I have even totally altered the poses to get the best look I can.

For sure man I know I’d love to have one, I know it would do me a lot of good. I’m also hoping I can meet some people at the show and I’m going to begin to start talking to some of the people I see at the gym who I’m positive compete and do gear or even the ones who work there and ask them as well. I’m sure those would lead me in a good direction too.