Novice Lifter - Best set/rep for muscle growth

Reaction score
I am 45 years old and have been doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 program for a few months. This is my first time working out for that length of time. I had a lot of growth in my legs and have gained strength all around. However, I am not gaining much muscle in my upper body. I read that more reps will help with muscle growth. Should I switch from 5x5 to 3x8? Should I do something else? I want to gain muscle so that I burn more calories and lose fat also to look better, I am overweight right now. Thanks, this is my first post.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Can you recommend any sources for a good plan?
How does your nutrition look right now?

Give us a representative example of a day's worth of food. And don't omit any snacks, tasty drinks, or anything you don't want us to see.

Reaction score
How does your nutrition look right now?

Give us a representative example of a day's worth of food. And don't omit any snacks, tasty drinks, or anything you don't want us to see.
I eat mostly low-carb. Like a dirty keto. I snack on nuts, protein bars, and cheese. I eat a low-carb dinner which is often meat and vegetable. I drink coffee with heavy cream and occasionally Starbucks egg bites. Also, I drink Coke Zero like it was going out of style. I don't track my calories anymore.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I eat mostly low-carb. Like a dirty keto. I snack on nuts, protein bars, and cheese. I eat a low-carb dinner which is often meat and vegetable. I drink coffee with heavy cream and occasionally Starbucks egg bites. Also, I drink Coke Zero like it was going out of style. I don't track my calories anymore.
Carbs are very helpful in the muscle building process. No issues with you eating very low carb, but be aware that there is a trade off there.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
What is the trade off? I am type 2 diabetic.
Fair enough, that's a wild card I didn't see coming.

Obviously managing your diabetes is 100% the priority over muscle building, so definitely follow your Dr's/Dietician's advice.

That being said, have you ever tried POST workout carbohydrate and checked your blood sugar response?

Being Type 2, it's something you very well could possibly reverse with diet and exercise, and that should be the goal.

Reaction score
Fair enough, that's a wild card I didn't see coming.

Obviously managing your diabetes is 100% the priority over muscle building, so definitely follow your Dr's/Dietician's advice.

That being said, have you ever tried POST workout carbohydrate and checked your blood sugar response?

Being Type 2, it's something you very well could possibly reverse with diet and exercise, and that should be the goal.
Working out has definitely helped. My blood sugar usually drops after a workout. Also, I have become more sensitive to the release of insulin. My blood sugar is not perfect but definitely better than before I started working out a few months ago.

• Love
Reactions: CJ

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Working out has definitely helped. My blood sugar usually drops after a workout. Also, I have become more sensitive to the release of insulin. My blood sugar is not perfect but definitely better than before I started working out a few months ago.
Awesome!!!

That's the beauty of working out. You're reversing your type 2, potentially. I'm very happy to see that.

Keep it going!!!!!

New Threads