Shoulder surgery

Iowabull

Reaction score
I have an upcoming surgery on my right shoulder. What are everyone's thoughts on continuing to train the opposite side while it heals ?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

GSgator

Reaction score
I have an upcoming surgery on my right shoulder. What are everyone's thoughts on continuing to train the opposite side while it heals ?

What are you getting fixed? I would say if it’s a clavicle shave or something not to
Invasive go for it .

If your getting something invasive like my last one which was my upper rotator cuff and bicep tendon tears you will probably be in a full sling that restricts all movement of that arm. If that’s the case stay home let that shit heal it’s not that you will use it but more so your in such a crucial stage of recovery, somebody literally just running into you or a car wreck or slip on the ground your tearing what the surgeon just repaired . Those big shoulder surgeries are no joke and the further down the road in recovery you get the more you want to just allow the process to heal . It’s a long hard road the last thing you want is to jeopardize that process and take steps back . Your mind set of losing minimum gains would be ass backwards as you are just causing more time away from training 100% if you don’t allow the time to heal.

Good luck I’ve had both my shoulders repaired it’s been a 2 year process and a real fucking bitch but I’m on the other side and humble af for it I definitely know my limits lol .

Last edited:

GSgator

Reaction score
I didn’t really address your question. I don’t think just training one side is constructive for anything besides dysfunctional progress . Like I said if your having something small done and you can do legs ,core and cardio all safely without jeopardizing your repairs and if the surgeon is on board fuck man go for it.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score

Kind of fucking stupid, and a nice imbalance to come with it.

Just do lower until it's better. A teammate broke his arm once, did nothing but SSB squats until he was able to do more.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah brother, just let the upper body stuff go. Even leg stuff you run the risk of forgetting yourself and inadvertently tweeking that shoulder. Some things trump training, ie: the best outcome you can get from your surgery and future function of your shoulder.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah brother, just let the upper body stuff go. Even leg stuff you run the risk of forgetting yourself and inadvertently tweeking that shoulder. Some things trump training, ie: the best outcome you can get from your surgery and future function of your shoulder.
Exactly, and if doing lower he'll have to go very light with nothing involving shoulders.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Exactly, and if doing lower he'll have to go very light with nothing involving shoulders.
Agree, I was thinking about this and you can't even do leg extensions properly with any appreciable weight without using both arms to grab onto the handles on the machine for example.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Agree, I was thinking about this and you can't even do leg extensions properly with any appreciable weight without using both arms to grab onto the handles on the machine for example.
Bodyweight stuff is his best option to start with IMO, but not right away.

Iowabull

Reaction score
Thanks all. I will stick with lower body and bodyweight stuff for a while. I am having a shoulder scope, decompression, biceps tenotomy, and distal clavicle resection. I have had rotator cuff, labrum, and biceps tendon repair on both shoulders in the past and doc tells me this should be much easier and I should be able to return much faster. He thought 4-6 weeks and I should be good to go basically as pain allows. Have any of you had a similar procedure done? If so how quickly till you were back?

Reaction score
Thanks all. I will stick with lower body and bodyweight stuff for a while. I am having a shoulder scope, decompression, biceps tenotomy, and distal clavicle resection. I have had rotator cuff, labrum, and biceps tendon repair on both shoulders in the past and doc tells me this should be much easier and I should be able to return much faster. He thought 4-6 weeks and I should be good to go basically as pain allows. Have any of you had a similar procedure done? If so how quickly till you were back?

I just had a full ruptured pec tendon surgery..
3 months ago and I am still recovering. Different surgery but surgery sucks and you will not go back full force like you are now.
Guarantee that..
Idk what the dr tells you

GSgator

Reaction score

My right shoulder surgery was the clavicle resection . Easy peasy man no PT since it’s bone removal. For a couple weeks after it feels like a vice grip is on your shoulder the pain for me was pressure . After 4 weeks I was back on the mat that shoulder was 100%. I wasn’t 100% due to my left shoulder needing bicep tendon and rotator cuff repair which I got a year down the road .

buck

Reaction score
I had 2 rotator muscle reattached and a ruptured biceps fixed at the same time and was back in the 6 days later. Could have gone in sooner but wasn't in a big hurry. Stimulating the nerves keeps the non used side form atrophying from my reading and the sports medicine orthos i have talked to. Did the same thing when i had my other shoulder replaced. I still trained 3 limbs and my torso the best i could without going crazy. Healed way ahead of schedule. Eating healthy probably was a big part of that. It is much easier to just bring 1 part back up to size then trying to bring 2 up. But there was not that much atrophy as the recovering arm was still getting some stimulation.

GSgator

Reaction score
I was out a complete year and told to do nothing for 6 months . I’ve got a log here you can read all about my experience from the day of the surgery to the struggles I had with recovery. I purchased bands and balls and rode that fine edge of pushing to hard . Matter of fact I rode over that line twice setting myself back with the one time having my team worried I retore my shoulder . For me it was time not more resistance or even mobility exercises that all came in time .

I work construction and my jam is BBJ that’s why I was instructed to be fully healed which for my procedure fit for full duty by my surgeon was 6 months . I stand here today just receiving my brown belt a few weeks ago and fully capable of taking on any project at work . You may be different but I know if I did what buck did I personally would have gone down uncharted territory which would have personally caused way more harm then good and I can say that from riding that line to early in my first recovery stages .

Thats bad ass buck I envy you man . I started back from scratch after I got usage of my arm . It almost heals in a solid position and it took a month of mobility exercises just to get to where I could start with the strength phase of recovery and that started with 2.5lbs .

buck

Reaction score
I was out a complete year and told to do nothing for 6 months . I’ve got a log here you can read all about my experience from the day of the surgery to the struggles I had with recovery. I purchased bands and balls and rode that fine edge of pushing to hard . Matter of fact I rode over that line twice setting myself back with the one time having my team worried I retore my shoulder . For me it was time not more resistance or even mobility exercises that all came in time .

I work construction and my jam is BBJ that’s why I was instructed to be fully healed which for my procedure fit for full duty by my surgeon was 6 months . I stand here today just receiving my brown belt a few weeks ago and fully capable of taking on any project at work . You may be different but I know if I did what buck did I personally would have gone down uncharted territory which would have personally caused way more harm then good and I can say that from riding that line to early in my first recovery stages .

Thats bad ass buck I envy you man . I started back from scratch after I got usage of my arm . It almost heals in a solid position and it took a month of mobility exercises just to get to where I could start with the strength phase ofrecovery and that started with 2.5lbs .

Martial arts is a different ball game then weights as i see it. Between the impact and uncontrolled movements that is tougher to deal with then lifting some light weights.

When i went in for my reconstruction. They gave me my exercise and stretches. I asked how many times a day to do them and the therapist was stumped as even the major league pitchers he dealt with never asked that question. Exercise once and stretch as much as i wanted was what he decided on. On my second visit he said i didn't need to come in any more as i was actually doing what he wanted and i could just stop by every month and pick up a sheet of paper for my updated rehab. I didn't bother as i had spent many hours researching rehabs.

In my replacement mobility started hours after the surgery. They hook you up to a machine that lifts your arm off the bed till it is as straight up as you can take. The nurses also come in in move it as far a range as you can take a few times. And then on day 2 they started me stretching 4x a day at home. The arm never got a chance to get stiff. That shit really hurt. Nothing else really bothered me. When they started me lifting it was a soup can on an incline bench. and that was a struggle. They had me do my own rehab as they said i didn't need the motivation to do rehab. Getting people to move when shit hurts is what most rehab is about from my experience. No offence meant to anyone.

Had spine surgery 3 months after the replacement. So that slowed my recovery down. But i figured if i was going to have a crappy 6-12 months i would make it real crappy and get everything done. i was still back in the gym and back to work as a journeyman machinist. After about 10 days. The weights i lifted were a joke but i think keeping blood flowing aids recovery. They get heart replacement patients walking the next day if they can.

GSgator

Reaction score
I hear you on the get all the shit done at once . I schedule my carpal tunnel on that same arm while I was off work for the shoulder.I was out of my sling and into the strength part of my recovery stage by then . The Physical Therapist were great and accommodated my weak grip due to that with those weights that have sand that could Velcro on my forearm .

One of my teammates had a hip
Replacement and they had him up walking the next day. Unfortunately I was in a sling for 5 weeks and instructed to only take it off to shower then get that fucker back on . Well I take that back I was told to do those exercises were you bend over and slowly move your arm in a circle a couple times a day for blood flow.

buck

Reaction score
I hear you on the get all the shit done at once . I schedule my carpal tunnel on that same arm while I was off work for the shoulder.I was out of my sling and into the strength part of my recovery stage by then . The Physical Therapist were great and accommodated my weak grip due to that with those weights that have sand that could Velcro on my forearm .

One of my teammates had a hip
Replacement and they had him up walking the next day. Unfortunately I was in a sling for 5 weeks and instructed to only take it off to shower then get that fucker back on . Well I take that back I was told to do those exercises were you bend over and slowly move your arm in a circle a couple times a day for blood flow.
Sorry to hear about the hip surgery but that sounds like better then a lot of other replacements. I have 1 or 2 penciled in for a few years down the road.
For both my shoulder surgeries the Dr's told me the sling was only if i was feeling pain to keep the weight off or to make sure i wasn't dumb and suddenly grab something i shouldn't or to make sure people didn't grab or bump my shoulder in public. I stopped wearing it with in a week.
My experience with Dr.s is they try to do things that make people feel better. Not necessarily what will help them recover the quickest or be the healthiest. Plus they have to make rules just like society for the stupidest person out there. That has no common sense.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Don't.

New Threads