Lifting Technique For A Noob

Reaction score
Not sure if it's the right topic? But anyway, I recently started working out again, like a month ago or so.

My problem is this: I have a real hard time at increasing my strength. I used to lift with my friend who started at the same weights as me almost, and he went from benching like 150 lbs to 220 lbs after only 2 months of training. I can NOT increase anything in the bench and I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong here? Perhaps it has to do with technique? I am eating good, taking protein shakes etc. I went from like 25 lbs to 50 lbs in bicep curls. Triceps and chest it seems impossible for me to gain some weight there. I'm trying to push myself and eat good and etc so I'm just thinking if it's some sort of technique thing?

Cheers

Reaction score
It could be technique...focus on proper form and full control of the weight during your reps. If you try to bench too heavy without proper form you're not really building a foundation. There's no reason you shouldn't make some progress. Grip the bar at the right width too and make sure you're grip is right. It could also be a genetic factor. Some guys just perform worse on certain lifts. The bench seems to be a common one.

Reaction score
I see. Thanks mate.
I used to train with my brother too, and he's really strong in the bench. Sucks, hehe.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Someone say bench?

I am.willing to bet my last dollar that u lift too heavy too often. Use submaximal weight for set of 3s 6s 8s and even 10s.make progress in those rep ranges first and then watch your max go up

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Protein shakes don't make you stronger... yes it's probably your technique. Don't compare yourself to others though. Just look at what weights you worked with for this month and compare to next month.

Start out like this...

Day 1 find your one rep max. Don't do sets of 10 warming up and exhaust yourself. Warm up slowly and then start working up.

From there bench 2 x per week with a few days between sessions.

Week 1

Day 1 bench 60% of your 1rm for 8 triples

Day 2 Bench 50% of 1rm for 4 sets of 10

Week 2

Day 1 bench 70% for 5 sets of 5

Day 2 Bench 55% for 4 sets of 10

Week 3

Day 1

Bench 80% for 6 sets of 3

Day 2

Bench 60% for 3 sets of 10

Week 4

Day 1
Bench 85% for one set of 2
Bench 70% for 5 x 5

Day 2

Bench 50% for 4 x 10

Week 5

Day 1

Set a new 1rm

After each training day on bench work your Triceps. Try floor press jm press dips close grip bench and overhead press. Pick one exercise for that day and do 5 sets of 8. Don't do wimpy shit like push downs

As for technique there are some basics.

Lay on the bench with feet flat on the floor.

Slide your feet back a little so your back arches a bit. Don't need to go crazy with this.

Pull your shoulder blades together a little and push your traps and rear delts into the pad.

When you unrack the bar don't push the bar up and let your rear delts come off the pad. If you do that start over. After each rep don't let your shoulders come off the pad and don't move your feet.

As you lower the bar to your chest push your sternum up to meet the bar halfway. As your drive the bar up keep pushing your sternum up hard.

Also as you lower the bar down think about your grip on the bar. Make like you are trying to pull the bar apart.