Involuntarily holding breath while I'm awake

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
I catch myself involuntarily holding my breath while I'm awake I've mentioned it to doctors and they look at me like I'm fucking retarded, they told me it's impossible because breathing's a voluntary act. I tell them it's quite possible because I do it. Does anybody else catch themselves doing it?

Reaction score
Do you wear a special helmet? 🤣

I’ve never heard of what you’ve described although my girl likes it when I choke her during sex.

Seriously tho, how often are you doing that? Sort of sounds like a ‘tic’.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
I often forget to breathe during bench press, because I'm concentrating too much on the movement. It definitely takes away a couple of reps when it happens.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I do it once in awhile, usually when I'm looking at something intently. Once in awhile while just lying in bed, too.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
I do it once in awhile, usually when I'm looking at something intently. Once in awhile while just lying in bed, too.
My brain is always plotting, it actually is uncomfortable to shut it off, so it would be a fair statement to say I get fixated on my own thoughts. I wear a CPAP at night so obviously I'm going to hold my breath at times while I sleep.

Reaction score
My brain is always plotting, it actually is uncomfortable to shut it off, so it would be a fair statement to say I get fixated on my own thoughts. I wear a CPAP at night so obviously I'm going to hold my breath at times while I sleep.
How much caffeine do you consume? Or any other stims.

crido887

Reaction score
There is involuntary control of breathing that doesn't require thinking. Maybe you are brain damaged. Which doesn't surprise me

Too much asphyxiation sex

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Zero caffeine, prescribed 60 mg of Adderall but only take 30, prescribed 500 mg of nuvigil but only take 250 though technically not a stimulant.

goodfella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Zero caffeine, prescribed 60 mg of Adderall but only take 30, prescribed 500 mg of nuvigil but only take 250 though technically not a stimulant.
I was going to ask if you have add/adhd, as I could see how someone that suffers from serious add/adhd, could briefly loose thought or control of breathing because your so focused in on some deep thoughts that are stressful or concerning. Specially if adding in adderal to the mix. 30 mg a day is still a pretty high dose or at least for me it is and hearing be prescribed 60mg a day is insane.

Reader591

Reaction score
This is the direction I was going. Stress, lots of stimulates, some combination of the two possibly. It happens to me, but I also notice at the times it happens, I’m tense everywhere.

To the OP, as hippie dippie as it sounds, breath work can affect the body, and it works in reverse too. The body can affect breath work.

JeffGoldblumLips

Reaction score
I catch myself involuntarily holding my breath while I'm awake I've mentioned it to doctors and they look at me like I'm fucking retarded, they told me it's impossible because breathing's a voluntary act. I tell them it's quite possible because I do it. Does anybody else catch themselves doing it?
My ex would always do this and I've been noticing my new boss does this shit all the time. They are both women and both take adderall. I have no other insight passed this.

Reaction score
My ex would always do this and I've been noticing my new boss does this shit all the time. They are both women and both take adderall. I have no other insight passed this.
I thought it was funny that @Thrawn would forget to breathe on occasion. Knowing now there are more people out there that struggle with remembering to breathe makes me sad for humanity. 🤣

Reaction score
I only do this before I lose my fucking shit and start punching walls. Apparently it's my "I'm about to do something stupid out of rage" tic. Doesn't happen often.

How tf did you get prescribed 60mg Addy tho?

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
I only do this before I lose my fucking shit and start punching walls. Apparently it's my "I'm about to do something stupid out of rage" tic. Doesn't happen often.

How tf did you get prescribed 60mg Addy tho?
So talking with the ENT yesterday he told me a little bit about it and then they said it's not his problem. Aka email apnea, has to do with a combination of posture, breathing technique, anxiety, and stress. Treatment is practice your breathing technique and/or anxiety medication.

I didn't realize 60 mg was a lot lol Don't feel shit on it anyway. I just take 30 just in case.

Reaction score
@Thrawn Good to see that you’re active and breathing today. Keep up the good work!

New Threads