Possibly the youngest memember on here.

Reaction score
Hey there,

I am a 16 year old kid from Australia who is 6ft 1 inches tall and weighs 176lbs, I think my body fat percentage is 20% from when I last measured it. So clearly I am not fit and my biggest goal this year is to change that, I have taken the first step to achieving this goal by signing up at a local gym that I still haven't gone yet (mainly cause I don't want to look like an idiot when I get there by not knowing what to do). I have no intentions on pursuing a bodybuilding career in the future, I just want to get that Ben Affleck physique and nothing bigger, I don't plan on getting ridiculously big. Type 2 diabetes runs in my family, my dad had it and his dad had it, and I'm pretty sure his grandad had it too. So clearly I'll get it if I don't do something now, I live a very unhealthy lifestyle as I'm basically always sitting in front of my computer playing video games all day. This year is my last year of high school and I decided to start taking control over my weight and completely changing this unhealthy lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits. To put in perspective, my daily routine during the holidays include getting up 2pm, having a massive breakfast, going into my room and playing video games upwards of 4 hours at a time, coming back into the kitchen and eating a massive dinner and going back into my room playing video games till 3am and finally when I get tired I go to sleep. After signing up at my local gym couple days ago, I started looking for a place where I can talk to experienced bodybuilders and get help on getting fit and changing my lifestyle before it's too late and that's how I came across this forum. So yeah, that's basically a short insight of my life and I hope to stay here and get help as I work towards my goals.

Cheers,

DZ :D

ron1204

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome in. Glad you realized early you should change your lifestyle. I hate seeing when kids suffer the consequences of their parents bad lifestyle when it comes to health. I have brothers and sisters and I wish they would have that drive to change, some do, some dont. if you have any questions, go for it.
I recommend reading the stickies on the training and nutrition sub-forums to get as much basic information as you can.

BigJohnny

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the board, young man. Lots of knowledge and life experience here!

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG!

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Hi DZ. I was truly happy reading what you wrote. You are part of generation that has listed towards limited physical activity as the norm. I see it everywhere, even in my very rural area.
You've made a choice to change your life for the better. I hope you believe me when I say that if you stay dedicated, give this real time and effort, and buckle down and stay after it when it seems useless or boring or showing poor results, if you do this you will find yourself happier, and more confident, with a higher sense of personal self esteem than you expected, not to mention healthier. And considering your age.....let's throw in the fact you will get more attention from the ladies...
Working out will, if you let it, affect you life in more positive ways than I can express to you here.
Nice to me you.
You found a good place to start your journey.

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome man.
Great place to learn about diet and training. All starts in the kitchen man.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!
Cheers & welcome to UGB! Ye got a good outlook - I think ye'll learn much here.

Gofalcons

Reaction score
Welcome bro good stats wish I would've started at 16

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Hey bub, welcome! Great intro, bet ya got strong thumbs tho! ;) I think we are all impressed and proud of you for taking some big steps in overcoming some things you want to change. We would be more than happy to help you sort stuff out amd get you feeling comfortable in the gym. I hope you are a reader cuz there is a TON of info on this forum to help you reach your goals. Something that could be helpful "kick-starting" your metabolism would be doing something strenuous for a few minutes each morning (like jumping jacks, or shadow box, or whatever) just get your heart rate up and sweat a little. At the same time, change your diet.
Anyways, we have forum sections on here pertaining to training and training styles/routines as well as diet. Good luck bud! Let us know when you need help.

Reaction score
Great intro DZ.

Welcome to The Underground.

Were all here to help. Stick around and in no time you'll be seeing big results. Your at that age where stuff will probably start changing fast. Just stick with your decision. You'll thank yourself years down the road.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Exactly what the brothers said above. Welcome to UGBB. Stick with it and remember consistency and patience are key. Play the long game and you will be rewarded with a lifetime lifestyle you will truly enjoy. Have fun with it, you will learn a lot in the gym through training.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Start in the right direction now young feller and all things will fall into place just a little easier. Welcome to the UG.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Welcome. Like the others said nice introduction. U came to the right place because we love people like you. You have the right mindset and sounds like u want this.

Losing weight and getting into shape is not hard, it just takes dedication and time. Lay off the video games man this is the time of your life where u should be banging broads and having fun, not sitting in your room flirting with the one girl online playing call of duty. Don't waste any more time ****ing off. Get going!

Battletoad

Reaction score
Welcome to UGBB, bud. You gained a lot of respect just by being so honest and forthcoming about your current situation. There's a lot of knowledge to be had around here, and plenty of people willing to help.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I see you took my advise on the honesty. You're gaining respect already.
Now make sure you give it in return.

Every person that took their time to post in your thread deserves a thanks. It's the little button down on the left of each post when you press it your name will appear under each post.
As a general rule I always thank each and every person.

I agree with Ecks, you're at the perfect age to get started lifting.

Also sharing your life experiences with the guys might help. Some of the guys here are gamers so maybe start a thread in the general section on a particular game you like. Maybe some of the guys will chime in.

Don't be afraid to asks questions on the smallest of things. You might get some ribbing for it but keep a thick skin and return fire.

rocco-x

Reaction score
Welcome to the board.
You've made an excellent choice coming here. Learn as much as you can, read up on everything from routines to nutrition, supps and aas for when you're much old and IF you ever choose to go that route.

I would of loved to have boards like this when I was coming up in the mid 80s. Ask as many questions as you can. The only stupid question is the one not asked. There are many solid ppl on here that can and will offer valued opinions, not the typical bioscience many of us listened to in our younger years. Good luck...roc.

New Threads