Do you consider sick days as rest days?

ron1204

Elite
Reaction score
I've always wondered if when your sick and cant have a good workout and stay home, if that should count as a real rest day or not. You don't workout and probably rest at home, but is your body resting too or is it working hard fighting off the sickness.
Reason i ask is i started getting a cold with crazy sinus, headaches and body aches. Tried pushing through a leg workout yesterday but after third set i was winded as hell, tired and could feel my lower back in pain. Definitely not a good workout. taking today off.
going back to my question, ive always thought your body is working hard fighting to get better, but now im not sure if thats not true. so what u guys think?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't over think this too much. Fortunately there is auto-regulation. If you try to train and it doesn't go well dial back the intensity

Muffy

Lady Member
Reaction score
When you are sick you need to rest especially if it is some sort of bacterial infection I would focus on lots of rest and drinking lots of fluids and getting in some vitamin C, antioxidants, etc. I just survived a stomach flu that ****ed my shit up for a few days. Trust me, all I was concerned about was getting better. But yea it sucks to have any kind of set back. I just viewed it as a way to recharge. However, some people like to so called "sweat out" the sickness. I wouldn't advise that though....I hope you feel better hun.

Shane1974

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nothing makes me feel better when I have sinus issues than lifting and some cardio. Sometimes, like POB said, intensity is dialed back. If I have a stomach virus or some other type of issue...I am in bed or on the couch and could care less about my routine. So....if I feel good enough to care about routine and days off, I should be at the gym.

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
I never let sickness take me away from the gym unless I'm dying

ron1204

Elite
Reaction score
I wouldn't over think this too much. Fortunately there is auto-regulation. If you try to train and it doesn't go well dial back the intensity

Yea you're right. i'm overthinking it a bit. Haven't had a day off in 11 days, plus yesterday wasn't very good so I'm staying in today and getting some cold stone.

When you are sick you need to rest especially if it is some sort of bacterial infection I would focus on lots of rest and drinking lots of fluids and getting in some vitamin C, antioxidants, etc. I just survived a stomach flu that ****ed my shit up for a few days. Trust me, all I was concerned about was getting better. But yea it sucks to have any kind of set back. I just viewed it as a way to recharge. However, some people like to so called "sweat out" the sickness. I wouldn't advise that though....I hope you feel better hun.

Ah man my girl just had that stomach flu/virus thing going around now, she was super fuked up for like 3 or 4 days. Lost like 5 pounds, couldn't keep anything down. I feel for you.
and thanks!

Nothing makes me feel better when I have sinus issues than lifting and some cardio. Sometimes, like POB said, intensity is dialed back. If I have a stomach virus or some other type of issue...I am in bed or on the couch and could care less about my routine. So....if I feel good enough to care about routine and days off, I should be at the gym.

yea bro i rarely miss the gym. I've gone several sick days when i know i can push through it. sinus or other minor stuff is nothing but body aches suck.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Training hard while sick will just make u feel worse. Take the day off and get better
Its not the end of the world if u miss a few workouts

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I've always found for me its better to take a day or two off and nip it in the bud than push through it. Always seem that if I try to fight through it, the illness just lingers