Post Finasteride Syndrome

Reaction score
So I took both finasteride and dutasteride for hair loss and since getting off of them I’ve gained a ton of weight. Like 40+ lbs , and I’m only 5’8” so I can really feel it. My diet has not changed at all.

I’ve been reading that 5 alpha reductase inhibition can **** with your liver and make you insulin resistant and start you on the path to diabetes.

Any steroid bros here that have any knowledge on this stuff ?

I’ve seen 3 doctors with little to show for it. Many blood tests taken. Only thing that is out of whack are low good cholesterol and elevated bad cholesterol, also elevated liver enzymes that suggest inflammation.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
So I took both finasteride and dutasteride for hair loss and since getting off of them I’ve gained a ton of weight. Like 40+ lbs , and I’m only 5’8” so I can really feel it. My diet has not changed at all.
I’ve been reading that 5 alpha reductase inhibition can **** with your liver and make you insulin resistant and start you on the path to diabetes.
Any steroid bros here that have any knowledge on this stuff ?
I’ve seen 3 doctors with little to show for it. Many blood tests taken. Only thing that is out of whack are low good cholesterol and elevated bad cholesterol, also elevated liver enzymes that suggest inflammation.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Insulin resistance from 5a-reductase inhibitors is well established within the data. Dutasteride being the bigger culprit. See for example:
5α-Reductase inhibitors alter steroid metabolism and may contribute to insulin resistance, diabetes, metabolic syndrome and vascular disease: a medical hypothesis
5α-reductase type 1 modulates insulin sensitivity in men
Dual-5α-Reductase Inhibition Promotes Hepatic Lipid Accumulation in Man

Also, note the answers from this survey. 51.9% of the 79 young men reported loss of muscle tone/mass as a side effect from PFS. I've said it before and I'll say it again, these are nasty drugs that really shouldn't be used by anyone. We have better methods for hair loss in 2021. Just saying.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Insulin resistance from 5a-reductase inhibitors is well established within the data. Dutasteride being the bigger culprit. See for example:
5α-Reductase inhibitors alter steroid metabolism and may contribute to insulin resistance, diabetes, metabolic syndrome and vascular disease: a medical hypothesis
5α-reductase type 1 modulates insulin sensitivity in men
Dual-5α-Reductase Inhibition Promotes Hepatic Lipid Accumulation in Man

Also, note the answers from this survey. 51.9% of the 79 young men reported loss of muscle tone/mass as a side effect from PFS. I've said it before and I'll say it again, these are nasty drugs that really shouldn't be used by anyone. We have better methods for hair loss in 2021. Just saying.

you referring to minoxidil as one of the better options ?

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
you referring to minoxidil as one of the better options ?
I was thinking more of the overwhelmingly successful hair transplants. Every rich mother****er who's balding is going with that option - what does that tell you?

The problem with Minoxidil is that the MOA is still a bit of a foggy picture. Data shows that it works, and I'd certainly take it over the 5a-reductase inhibitors, but as the years roll on all of these options are going to become obsolete IMO. That's why I'm strongly against the latter. They have the potential to leave behind nasty sides even when you stop using them. Strong avoid.