501kg deadlift world record drama

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
In a nutshell, Hafthor Bjornsson will be attempting a 501kg world record deadlift May 2, 2020 from his gym. It is being out on and streamed by Ultimate Strongman because the Dubai competition he was going to attempt it at has been cancelled due to the circumstances. Magnus Ver Magnusson will be the referee.

Eddie Hall has been very vocal stating that if he does succeed it will not be a world record because it wasn't done in competition.
Bit of back and fourth shit talking and other strongmen weighing in on this.

In my opinion, I agree that it should be counted as an unofficial world record, I think Thor should go for it, hell I'm sure he's getting paid very well to do so, so why not. Pretty sure the prize in Dubai was supposed to be 100k.

What's your thoughts on the situation?

Here's NSP's vids that summarize the ongoing drama and I'll include some other videos of guys weighing in on it...

Last edited:

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As a former powerlifter I agree that it should not count if it is not done in competition.

Gym lifts are just that....gym lifts

I trained with plenty of guys who were also certified judges in a few different feds. Just because they said a lift was good in the gym, doesn't mean it's in the books.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
As a former powerlifter I agree that it should not count if it is not done in competition.

I trained with plenty of guys who were also certified judges in a few different feds. Just because they said a lift was good in the gym, doesn't mean it's in the books.

that seems to be the agreement amongst everyone that has spoken on the matter and I think Thor should agree it will be an unofficial world record.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'd love to take all of my best gym lifts over time and make them my total....

I say it's a new covid-19 rule. Everything counts. Even retroactive shit. Wraps too. Loose suits as raw records. Power pants. Groove briefs. All of it... except steroids....those guys are cheaters.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
Its under strict rules (weighed-weights, MVM best ref in strongman, etc). There is no global Strongman org, so it will count as a WUS "Word record" like the millions of World records in Powerlifting. Many bench press records were done by bench-only guys like Ted, who just took token lifts in DL and SQ to validate a whole meet. Every grip record is in someones gym or yard, Dinnie Stone records are in a yard, etc. Its a strength feat,a record for the Org. (Just so happens it will be the one done under strict judging that may break Eddies). Eddies not whining about Luke or Tom doing there's (Stone, Log). He's only whining about DL because its his. Eddie start the whining and the BS/drama, or it never would have come to this. There's a pandemic going on, Eddie might forget this, times have changed, keep moving FWD... Big Z agree's and he owns many records. Let WUS do what they want, if Eddie dont like it, go for 502... (My 2 CC's on the matter).

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
fun fact; Eddie insisted on using his own barbell for his 500kg deadlift.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Not under any circumstance am I a professional at this and I will even say I suck at deadlifts but will throw my opinion in lol

if they have a judge that can travel and be at the location check everything out and judge it fairly it should be a world record. Guinness world record they do that no have one of their judges show up and check? But On the other hand he should do it for entertainment now and if he’s capable to do it now he can do it later as well.

BrotherIron

Reaction score

Exactly... a gym lift is a gym lift.

For it to be considered it has to happen at a sanctioned meet. Doesn't matter if a judge is there. Now, that is a great way to prep for a meet, event, tourney, etc.. but it doesn't count until you're on that stage taking part in it.

That's how we would train. Mock meets but the operative word was "mock".

Last edited:

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I have a competition on June 6 that has almost no chance of happening and will be cancelled due to clovid.. It is a IPL World qualifier and I will attempt to break the masters national deadlift record. Anyway I will hold a mock meet at my gym that day if the meet is a no show. That being said, it would be no different from me saying I have the unofficial national record if I pull a big enough number It's retarded. I dont want to waste my peak training and still want to push and test myself even though it counts for nothing...zero

Rant over break the WR officially or you dont

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
I don't agree, but it is what it is, everyone's got an opinion. Martins thinks its even more valid, since everything will be weighed out perfectly and shown on camera, he said they dont do that at most Strongman meets. Big Z and Martins think its good, others don't. The beauty of it, everyone has different idea's. I'm just glad I get to see these feats being done with this pandemic. (Luke - Log record, Tom - Stone record, Thor - DL record). If this thing stays around for a long time (virus) this could be a new norm.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
another recap similar to what I was trying to do here.
@ 6:53

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think this sums it up. Brian Shaw’s response for it hit the nail on the head for me. Not that the weights will be fake, but it’s too perfectly setup for him to get it at home.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think this sums it up. Brian Shaw’s response for it hit the nail on the head for me. Not that the weights will be fake, but it’s too perfectly setup for him to get it at home.

Agree. I haven't watched all the vids. Anyone who's ever traveled to compete knows the difference between a backyard meet at your home gym, and a meet you have to travel to compete in. It's a whole animal in and of itself.

New Threads